German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was another post that had the same theme as mine will, but I didn't want to hijack it; so here goes. My husband and I have a six month american staffordshire terrier/lab mix (we think, because he's a pound puppy) and we just brought home a new GSD. Pax, the GSD, has been a part of our family since Friday.

Background on Brutus (the pitt/lab):
We got him from a shelter. He was born at the shelter and half the littler was still born. The other half almost immediately came down with Parvo. Three of the six remaining puppies died from Parvo but the other three were treated and recovered successfully. We adopted Brutus 3-4 months ago and he's been great. He house trained in a matter of days and loves learning new tricks. He's very calm and laid back. He loves to play and give kisses. My husband and I felt that he could use a playmate, however, for while we are at work at whatnot. We did lots of research and made sure to introduce Brutus to several dogs to see how he acted. We took him to the dog park every weekend for two months straight and he came out of his shell around the other dogs and was very playful. So we felt that he (and we) was ready for a new puppy in the house.

We introduced our dogs off property and after about a half hour of smelling and Pax barking a bit, they just started playing and getting along like they'd known each other forever. The first 2-3 days were wonderful, besides PAx peeing in the house. But we knew he wasn't house trained, so that's fine. Now onto the question, Monday morning Brutus threw up in our bed (where he sleeps) and I found out from my husband that Brutus had managed to get a mouthful of Pax's food earlier (brutus eats Iams puppy for large breed and Pax was being fed Nature's Own; we are working on transferring him). He didn't eat very much monday (understandably) but his appetite for dog food has yet to return. Pax has no problem eating, which leads me to believe there is nothing wrong with the food. But Brutus only eats treats (Greenies, Beggin' Strips, and Cheerios-vet recommended) he will only eat about a half a cup of dog food everyday. He normally eats four cups. He hasn't thrown up since that one time, but I'm worried about his not eating. Should I wait it out or take him to the vet? Part of me thinks that he won't let himself starve just so he can have treats, but I don't want my puppy to be upset. His attitude hasn't changed. He still plays with Pax and my husband and myself. The only difference is his not eating.

I apologize about the length but I wanted to be thorough. And I know it's not my GSD with the issue, but any advice you can give, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I would stop with the treats for a couple of days. Give him his meal. If it isn't eaten after say 15 minutes, pick it up and give him NOTHING except water until the next meal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, besides a few (maybe six a day) cheerios, we haven't given any other treats until today. Today he got a greenie and one beggin' strip. But I will take him back to nothing. How long should I do this for? As long as it takes? Or is there a period where I should get him to the vet for testing?

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Personally I would give it at least a couple of days as long as he is acting normally and peeing and pooping normally and not throwing up. (Other than that 1 time.) He may also be trying to "hold out" for the other puppys food. My thought is that if he was "sick" he wouldn't eat the "treats" either.

Also, has he been getting 4 cups all along or is that less than he was getting when he was younger (say a month or 2 ago)? He is 6 1/2 months old and may be getting to the age where he doesn't need as much as when he was younger. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he should go from 4 cups to 1/2 a cup a day. But as puppies get out of the baby puppy stage and closer to the "teenager" stage, they tend to need less food, since they aren't growing as fast.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When we first got Brutus he was just under three months old. He got three cups a day. Then per the feeding instructions on the bag we added an extra cup about a month ago. Up until now, he's managed to eat all his food (he eats in the morning and the evening) within 15 minutes.

Also, he's pooped twice today ( it was a little runny) but it's much thicker than his diarrhea on Monday.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Sounds like he is holding out for those treats -- have to say I don't like the Greenies ( some dogs have been breaking too large pieces and getting sick, bacon strips - too many additives) and Iams - made my guy sick.

I would stop all treats - and research a great food for the both dogs, stay away from treats for awhile and get a exact amount of food for each dog - stick with that. Make sure no running 2 hours before and 2 after.

Maybe someone could post here the dog food they recommend and healthy treats. I use I/D can and dry - purchased from the vet, the only thing my girl eats, give her the dry for treats - only about 5 pieces when she is looking for something or training her. She got sick from too much fat in some treats, so no more chances.

If your dog is still not himself a visit to the vet is the best thing - hope everything is OK.

By the way - my girl is Shep/lab about 65 lbs eats 1/2 can & 1 cup of dry of I/D twice a day, just to give you an idea -- sometimes the bags are off

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Yep, what it says on the bag is just a "guideline". Some pups/dogs will need more than the "recommended amount" to stay at the correct weight, others will need less. You need to go by how the dogs weight is, rather than just going by what the bag says.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts