German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I have a german shepherd puppy (purebred) who won't stop playing with my oler dog, my older dog is a 16 pound 7 year old papillion, and Bear is 8 months and 70 + pounds now, I've had him since he was 3 months and he still won't stop playing or barking at the older guy, will this ever end? I seperate them so my other dog won't get hurt.

·
Registered
330 Posts
What she said. When Beau was a pup we lived with a 5.5 lb papillon who he adored, but he was just too big and energetic to play with her safely as a puppy. He learned to tone it down a little as he got older, and she would sometimes engage with him from a couch or chair, or from a low wall outside, but never unsupervised. And he was tethered to me or the chair I was sitting in or crated until he learned to be safe with her.

He used to bring her his ball and drop it in front of her as a gift. She would look at him like, Seriously??. It was bigger than her head.

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
I have friends who have a small yorkie that got rolled by accident by their GSDs while chasing a squirrel -- they might have tripped over him. His leg was broken in multiple places and it had to be surgically reconstructed. He is just now coming off of months of crate rest. The healing process is a full year on that kind of major surgery.

So...be careful. Excited puppies/adolescents can hurt little dogs just by being clumsy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Kairo is 8.5 months, and Sugar is a 10 year old Bichon/Poodle. Before Kairo got to be 5 months, they got along fine and would play together and even take naps together in Kairo's pen. Then around 5 months old, Kairo just got too big for Sugar, and even though Kairo would play like he always he had, he accidently knocked Sugar backwards while playing, Sugar landed wrong on her tail and sprained it.. A few laser treatments and several hundred dollars later, and we learned the hard way. They are now separated most of the time except for when we let them outside in the fenced area where they have more room to run around and are supervised. Sugar is no longer afraid of him, but at 10 years old, she has a low tolerance for Kai's antics, so when she is done playing, then she is done playing, and she'll let Kairo know in no uncertain terms lol.

When we are inside, I generally only let them interact together when Kairo comes in from exercise or training, and he is already exhausted. He generally ignores Sugar then, but only til he catches his second wind, at which time, they are separated again. But with Sugar being older, she's content to lay in Kairo's pen with the door closed so Kairo can't mess with her, while Kairo lays on the vent in the foyer when we are all together watching tv. Kairo has always been a high energy puppy, so I am hoping he will settle some as he gets a little older.

Attachments

Reactions: dogma13

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation, it's quite a common problem; puppies playing rough with small dogs. They have to be corrected and separated until they both 'accept' each other and learn how to play good. But honestly that might be hard for big puppies to learn that, unless the dog is mature or just naturally soft, it takes time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts