German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 month old GSD has slimmed down considerably over the last month and a half, we’ve gotten blood tests done, tested for EPI, re-dewormed incase of a parasite, changed foods, added additional calories to meals all without any results. Has any one else had issues with their pup not putting on weight? Maybe another food change is needed, any recommendations? He is currently on now fresh duck large breed puppy.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Always a good idea to post some pics---pics while standing-- from the side and pics of his back standing over him....his body is changing as he becomes a "teenager".......is he actually loosing weight ?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Lanky adolescence is just a very common thing for these dogs to go through. They're growing, have a super-fast metabolism, often living active, athletic lives. Some of them seem like bottomless-pits for food intake at this stage (easily putting away way more than the recommended food rations on the bag while staying lean) -- it's like having a teenage human boy in the house. Then it seems like out of the blue one day between 2-3 years old, you'll look at your own dog in amazement and see a barrel-chested, filled-out, strong adult dog and wonder where your pup went.

How many kcals per cup are in the food you're feeding? In my rescue work, our go-to food for dogs that need to gain weight is Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete. It's 470 kcal per cup. It's not expensive, but it's just enough of a calorie boost to help some dogs gain needed weight. There are a few other options that cost a little more -- Victor High Energy is another good option (412 kcal per cup). I wouldn't hesitate to put a lanky, active adolescent with a high metabolism on that kind of food.

That said, when a dog is severely underweight and can't process calories, the last test I would run is a tick panel -- there are tick diseases that can cause dogs to become emaciated (e.g., babesia). I'm not talking lean-looking, but rather starved-looking.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Do you have some rough weights for him over the last few months? How much has he lost? How many cups of food does he actually eat a day, is this less than before? Does he have loose stools or are they normal? Have stool samples been taken and what dewormers have been used? Pictures of your dog and specifics would be helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts