German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I have a 10 week old gorgeous girl! She developed a large lump a week and a half ago. Came on fast. Took her immediately to the vet ER (it was late at night). Long story short she had surgery the other day to remove the mass it went from golf ball size to tennis ball size in a matter of a couple days. They think it's a very rare cancer 80-85% certain it will be malignant when the results come back sometime next week. They removed the entire mass with a little bit of margins around the area. If it is this rare cancer and they didn't get large enough margins then it will come back even more aggressive. The surgery was expensive but I couldn't not do it on the chance all the margins could be taken out or the small chance they are wrong and it's not cancer. The breeder is offering us another puppy. My question for everyone - if she makes it (I pray) would it be difficult or not smart to have 2 GSD pups 4 weeks apart in age ( not relatives). I work from home, I have the time to put into working with them. But wondered if anyone else has raised to young pups that weren't siblings and very close in age with success? Any obstacles? I'm thinking it would be wonderful for our pup to have a friend and someone to play with. We wouldn't bring the new puppy home until after our puppy is cleared from the surgery to play etc...
I hope this doesn't sound like I'm trying to replace one with another that is not what we're doing at all - I'm broken-hearted, my kids and husband are broken-hearted over this and have so much love to give and I thought if the worst-case scenario happens we can redirect our hurt and pain onto the new pup. If the worst doesn't happen then if it's not too hard to have 2 young pups that aren't littermates than they both have playmates.

·
Super Moderator
4,682 Posts
When we are highly emotional, be it very happy or extremely sad, it is not a good time to make important decisions. I'd hold off on getting another pup. Please don't rush it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts