German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone -

A few months ago my 13 year old GSD died in the middle of the night. He was a great dog! He was by our side every moment from 8 weeks till the day he died, "looking out" for us and "keeping us safe". It was REALLY hard to lose him.

So we started looking for another GSD. I have another GSD girl dog that's around 9 as well, and thought we should get a boy since she's a girl. I put money down on some pups, but it didn't work out. We were 9th and she had 3. So we went to another breeder who's actually not on the forums, but was recommended to me via the forums. And I believe she's a good person, and don't really blame her for the situation.

Anyway, we went to pick up a bi-color male that seemed perfect for us in videos and pictures. She brought the pups to a Petco near us for us to see. But we passed up the bi-color for a solid black boy because he was so confident, outgoing, and people loving. He was into everything, and wanted to explore and get into everything around him. He was even barking and trying to play with my girl dog. You could tell, he was just a great puppy.

That was Monday night. From Monday to Wednesday, we couldn't believe our luck. He has such a great attitude. No fear of anything and wanting to investigate everything. Thursday, he came down sick. And Thursday night we took him to the emergency and he has parvo. They gave him under the skin fluids, and a shot for his upset stomach. The next day I took him to our vet. I got a subscription for Tamiflu. He received an antibiotic, more shots for vomiting and we started a regiment of taking him every 12 hours back to the vet for more fluid treatment.

He took a turn for the worse last night, Saturday, end of day 2, and started vomiting, so now he's in the hospital. Up until now, he only vomited on the first day. He does have diarrhea, and has been off his food, but was eating Friday night and Saturday morning, a little bit, even wanting to play Saturday morning. The emergency room doctor didn't like the way he looked this morning, so he's staying at least overnight in the hostpital. She gave him a 50/50 chance.

Really? 50/50. Seriously? I didn't want to be a jerk and tell her I thought she was a little negative, but I think that's not a very positive outlook. I looked at a lot of dogs on YouTube who were seriously worse off and made it without a problem.

He was a very healthy pup, and was being fed high quality food, even a partial raw diet. He had one of his parvo shots. I think he picked this up at the store where she brought him for us to look at.
With IV fluids, and I think she's doing a feeding tube + anti-vomiting, I have to think that 50/50 is pretty low.

We would be devastated to lose yet another great dog. My wife and I discussed the idea that the breeder owes us another pup if this one passes away, but I don't even want to go there. I want this pup, not one of the others. He's just perfect.

And the moral of the story is: Don't take your puppies to the **** PET STORE before they've had all their shots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Sorry you're puppy is going through this! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Reactions: markhenley

·
Registered
382 Posts
Do not want to be a jerk here but you should have known this. Until they have there shots they are very vulnerable. This is why soicalizon and vaccinations are such a issue. You have a small window to have a well balanced social dog but you also have to be careful about where the dog goes who he meets. From how I'm reading it the breeder actually did this not you. I am going to temp faith here or temp admins as well, the breeder is stupid for doing that.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Absolutely the breeder would be on the hook for another puppy if the breeder brought the puppy (under vaccinated) to Petco, but would you want another puppy from a breeder who would put there puppies in danger like that....

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Oh no, so sorry you are going through this. I don't have any advice, just wanted to wish your pup a quick and complete recovery. Please let us know how he's doing. :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, she should have known. It's very sad. I didn't really even think of the issue -- but NOW I'm thinking of the issue.
I contacted her and explained what happened. She is horrified.

I picked the puppy up on Monday night. It was sick by Thursday morning...

I've read that parvo incubation can be delayed up to 10 days, but normal incubation is 3 (even 2) days to 10 days. I only read one report that said 2 days.

She says as of now non of the other pups have come down with symptoms. But she's not out of the woods until probably Friday of next week (according to what I'm reading).

I did take the puppy out in our local park (neighborhood grassy area not really a park) the next day for some pictures: so Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday noon ... is that enough time?

I just called the hospital. He's hanging in there... he's not better or worse from 5 hours ago.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I would take the other girl black puppy if she didn't have parvo. She has the same personality. But honestly, this pup is the one that really stood out. We loved him instantly.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ask the vet if parvo is high in your neck if the woods, my guess is it is 50/50 he got it from either place, puppies can get parvo from a number of places, top 2 places tho are pet stores and parks, a grassy nole can still have parvo. It is a virus that lives in the environment for up to a year, it is hard to get rid of.

·
Registered
382 Posts
When I got Luna at 7 weeks old, she had already had 2 rounds of distemper and parvo shots. Even with that I was very careful with her, she would go to work with me and i did let her go potty outside but I had a weird way of picking the spot. If it looked like dogs went there I avoided it, I choose to have her get as much socialization as possible for her age. Only after her final distemper shor did we start going to Petco and not until her rabies shot did we even come remotely close to another dog. Some people criticized me for not waiting for her to be 100% vaccinated until bringing get out but for me socialization was number one in my list, but I was very careful with where we went and when we went.

I do wish your puppy the best luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have talked to 4 vets over the last 3 1/2 days. They all said that the pup had parvo when I picked him up, and that Monday night to Thursday morning is not enough incubation time.
Of course they don't know for sure... but I suppose they would know, they're vets after all.

I live in Peoria, Arizona. I'm not sure how prevalent parvo is here...

I don't think it's as bad as in the south. The vet tech is from North Carolina and said that she'd had as many as 24 cases in her clinic at the same time.
She too said that there was no way the puppy got it after I picked him up. But in the end, I just want him back.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I'm sorry your baby dog and your family is going through this. Best place for him now is with the vet. I bet they can pull him through.

And yes, taking an unfully vaccinated puppy to ANY public area where other dogs have been can give them parvo. My GSD breeder told me on the way home, do not stop at any highway rest areas and such. Take her out in the country roads where no other dogs have ever been. Housebreak her to her own yard and keep her away from where other dogs have been until she has had all her shots.

When I took her to Tractor Supply Company for her rabies shot, I had her ride in the cart up off the floor. If you want to take your puppy around to socialize or get used to the human world, carry the puppy in arms and do not let strangers pet. Often they have dogs and who knows where they have been. This is a virus!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have talked to 4 vets over the last 3 1/2 days. They all said that the pup had parvo when I picked him up, and that Monday night to Thursday morning is not enough incubation time.
Of course they don't know for sure... but I suppose they would know, they're vets after all.

I live in Peoria, Arizona. I'm not sure how prevalent parvo is here...

I don't think it's as bad as in the south. The vet tech is from North Carolina and said that she'd had as many as 24 cases in her clinic at the same time.
She too said that there was no way the puppy got it after I picked him up. But in the end, I just want him back.
parvo does seem to be greater down here in flordai LOL. I agree with you that the chances of him having parvo before you got him is very likely. You might want to he slightly more forceful and explain what 4 vets told you. It will help her in the long run.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder why Petsmart/Petco don't have signs on the front of their stores about un-vaccinated puppies/ kittens.

If they really care about pets, doesn't that make sense.

I'm an amateur, I just have always treated my dogs like one of my family members. I thought of a petstore as sort of safe. The thought of my healthy puppy coming down with parvo wasn't even on my radar.
I didn't even think of the ramifications of taking a puppy to a petstore.

I'm more educated now, since I have a puppy in the hospital.

And I can't really throw stones at the breeder since I too was taking the puppy literally from Petco. Okay, let's say the puppy had parvo already (likely the case), and he was running around in the store. egads, amazingly stupid and horrible.

I might have reconsidered the entire process had I seen a GIANT sign out front that said: PROTECT YOUR PUPPY!!!!! IS THE PUPPY VACCINATED? Then a skull and crossbones might add a nice touch. They might even sell a few vaccinations.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am sorry you are going thru this Mark. Parvo is very prevalent in Arizona.

I went thru what you are experiencing with my rottweiler. He had received his third shot, and had never been anywhere and was even carried into the vet's office for each appointment. He started with the vomiting and diarrhea within a week, and I took him to the emergency vet and they looked at him and told me that as a black and tan dog they are hit hardest and I should just euthanize him. Welllll I had just gotten the news my brother was terminal with cancer and I couldn't help him, but maybe I could this dog.

Every day I dropped him at my usual vet's and they put him on an IV for fluids, and anti nausea. And then I would take him home in the evening. Still a lot of vomiting in the evenings. One lucky stroke according to the vet was that his stool never turned bloody. He did not shed the lining of his intestine and open himself up to becoming septic (hmm, coincidentally one of his vet techs had a boxer pup on site also enjoying this "milder" strain). So it was about a week of this before he was finally holding things down and returning to firm stool.

Two after effects of this - he will NOT settle in the vet's office. Very fearful and super clingy. And the other effect is that he did not beef up and so I have a slender rottweiler which perhaps his joints are grateful for? He is 11 now.

Cant tell you how paranoid about parvo I was when bringing the shepherd pup home. We had changed houses and it was 10 years later but I was still forging ahead with bleaching the backyard and all surfaces in my house.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Hellish -

I've been taking him two times each day to the vet to get under the skin fluid, and have the vet look at him. He was looking good until last night.
The hospital just called, and they want to give him several different medicines to increase his blood pressure and help him stop vomiting.

They went over the cost estimate... by a few hundred dollars. Let's see... I've spent $2100 so far and paid a thousand for him. Yes, give him the medicine!
I hope I don't end up with a $3100 dead puppy. Besides the fact that I just lost my other dog, I just can't go there.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hopefully the change in meds will help. Its a very frustrating and helpless position.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Come on Puppy! Dear Lord of life, send the energy of 100s of well wishing people to this puppy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: The meds worked, so his blood pressure is up and he's feeling better!!!
I'm SUPER glad I admitted him into the hospital now, because it feels like he wouldn't have made it through the day.

Fingers crossed. We'll see how he is tomorrow morning.

It may take me a year to pay the bill, but maybe I will have a GSD to help me feel better about it and I can lord it over him if he eats my shoes :)

·
Super Moderator
5,914 Posts
I had a Dobe puppy that got parvo, AFTER she had all her vaccinations. She recovered and lived a very healthy 14 years.

Hope your little guy gets better soon. Parvo is pretty scary.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
I had a Dobe puppy that got parvo, AFTER she had all her vaccinations. She recovered and lived a very healthy 14 years.

Hope your little guy gets better soon. Parvo is pretty scary.
Been there. My Dane got Parvo at 9 months old, fully vaccinated. Vet said she was the one in a million.

Incubation period for Parvo, most vets agree, is 7-14 days. Some reports say three days, but I have my doubts. A breeder should absolutely have know better then to take pups into a store like that.
Vets, like doctors, are going to give you the worst case. And parvo is tricky, the pups that look like they won't pull through often do and pups that seem to be fine sometimes just give up.
I do hope your pup pulls through and will add my good thoughts as well.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts