German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We've had Smokey for a week and a half feeding him the same food since we got him. His poop has always looked normal and well formed other than the first day of 2 when we couldn't switch his food over slowly since we had none of his breeders food. Yesterday and the day before I gave him a couple of treats. (2-5 total little treats). This morning when I took him out his stool was very loose. My daughter says it was firm to loose yesterday evening. My husband says it was loose last night @ 2 am as well. He eating drinking, peeing, and playing normally. Took him out again and it's really loose poop. He is not pooping extra, not having poop accidents inside. no vomiting. He poops every 3-4 hours, gets fed 3-4 times a day.

should I take him in to the vet? Keep monitoring him? try pumpkin?

ETA : he is 8 weeks old as of yesterday

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Time to see the vet in my opinion, likely parasites. I don't like to mess around when they're that young, they can get dehydrated very quickly.
Vet found nothing on Thursday when we took him for his first visit and shots. He got a dewormer then as well (before the stool sample was taken)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Vet found nothing on Thursday when we took him for his first visit and shots. He got a dewormer then as well (before the stool sample was taken)
That's a good little tid bit to know, it still could be Giardia as that doesn't always show up in fecal samples, it requires an ELSIA blood test. I would cut back on all treats and consider an elimination diet. Could be the food he's on, what are you feeding him? It could also be because you didn't transition foods slowly enough.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a good little tid bit to know, it still could be Giardia as that doesn't always show up in fecal samples, it requires an ELSIA blood test. I would cut back on all treats and consider an elimination diet. Could be the food he's on, what are you feeding him? It could also be because you didn't transition foods slowly enough.
We are feeding blue wilderness large breed puppy. It's the only large breed puppy food I found at the store nearby. I read on here that it isn't the greatest but he was having normal stools until today (or late last night) I haven't given him any treats today other than a couple of his regular food. Made that decision this morning when I saw his stools. I just looked up dehydration signs and he has none of the signs I read about.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
We are feeding blue wilderness large breed puppy. It's the only large breed puppy food I found at the store nearby. I read on here that it isn't the greatest but he was having normal stools until today (or late last night) I haven't given him any treats today other than a couple of his regular food. Made that decision this morning when I saw his stools. I just looked up dehydration signs and he has none of the signs I read about.
Get him off the BB! This is a not unheard of pattern with this food, fine for a few days then not. Seriously feed him ANYTHING else!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What would you recommend? I've got a walmart, another store I can't recall the name right now (where I got the Blue Wilderness) that sells farm stuff as well as per stuff, and a small pet store that has only one brand (We feed the adult of that to my 30 lb one year old mutt) oh, and we have a sample of science diet large breed from the vet and Amazon 2 day shipping.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
What would you recommend? I've got a walmart, another store I can't recall the name right now (where I got the Blue Wilderness) that sells farm stuff as well as per stuff, and a small pet store that has only one brand (We feed the adult of that to my 30 lb one year old mutt) oh, and we have a sample of science diet large breed from the vet and Amazon 2 day shipping.
If you have a Walmart, you can order online and have it shipped to the store at no cost in most places. The Rachel Ray food isn't horrid and Walmart also has a few other brands that are decent, here they make there own food and it isn't too shabby if you are on a budget or have limited options. Not sure where you are on the planet. Lol.
I would feed Purina before BB. Seriously. Had a pup I gave to an adopter returned after 6 weeks because of ongoing stomach problems. Stopped the BB and had her right as rain in a day and a half.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
At the farm store, you'll probably be able to get Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy or possibly Victor (active dog and puppy -- I don't think they have a specific LPB food, which I tend to prefer). I see both very frequently in such stores, and both are likely to be better tolerated than BB. We've fed a lot of Diamond LBP in rescue, and it's pretty well tolerated generally.

Chewy.com sells both of them also -- both are mid-range foods with good value, and well tolerated by a wide cross-section of dogs. (A 40# bag of Diamond LBP costs around $50, shipped.)

If you've got to do WM, Purina One Large Breed Puppy is probably the only LBP option there -- I think Diamond would probably be a better choice though, for a little more money.

If you want to step up a little more, consider Fromm Gold Large Breed Puppy from Petflow.com.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Blue Buffalo nearly killed my puppy. It gave him heavy metal poisoning and contributed to his diarrhea. BB gets away with murder because of their clever marketing team. They are known for constantly lying about their ingredients, get him off that crap as soon as possible and if you can afford it look into feeding raw its much better on the stomach and you can find all the ingredients you need at the grocery store. Lots of info on feeding raw here and plenty of folks who have been doing it for years who can help you formulate a balanced diet for your pup. Science diet is awful too! Call up your vet and let them know what is going on and ask them if they think an ELSIA test might be recommended to rule out giardia. In the mean time you can buy some broth (or even better make bone broth) to keep your pup hydrated, they can deteriorate rather quickly and signs are sometimes harder to catch in young puppies.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So we should do a quick change (aka just feed him the new food for breakfast) and not gradual like normal?

My husband said we would go in tomorrow and see what they have and get something. And then we can research brands within our price range that we can order since there isn't much around. (We are in the US but in a rural community. 2 hours to a city and we only go 1x a month)

Our budget for food was already stretched with the Blue Wilderness ($50 for a bag that almost filled a 5 gallon bucket- have no idea what the lbs were anymore). We can afford something else now but not anything more costly than that on a regular basis. If you have a good that you recommend within that price range please let me know.

Oh, the store I couldn't remember the name of was Atwoods.

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
So we should do a quick change (aka just feed him the new food for breakfast) and not gradual like normal?

My husband said we would go in tomorrow and see what they have and get something. And then we can research brands within our price range that we can order since there isn't much around. (We are in the US but in a rural community. 2 hours to a city and we only go 1x a month)

Our budget for food was already stretched with the Blue Wilderness ($50 for a bag that almost filled a 5 gallon bucket- have no idea what the lbs were anymore). We can afford something else now but not anything more costly than that on a regular basis. If you have a good that you recommend within that price range please let me know.

The Atwood’s where I live sells Victor. It’s what I feed. It’s a little less than $40 for 40 lbs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Atwood’s where I live sells Victor. It’s what I feed. It’s a little less than $40 for 40 lbs.
If they have that what type would I get? Do they have a large breed puppy? Or would it be an all stage? How does all stage compare with specific large breed puppy food? (Waaay too many questions, I know lol)

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
They don’t have a large breed puppy. I feed the Professional in the purple bag. Atwood’s also has Diamond Naturals that has been suggested. I don’t feed Diamond, so I’m no help on that one.

That particular Victor is all stages.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They don’t have a large breed puppy. I feed the Professional in the purple bag. Atwood’s also has Diamond Naturals that has been suggested. I don’t feed Diamond, so I’m no help on that one.

That particular Victor is all stages.
Thanks, I'll take a look first thing tomorrow

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
Take a look at the Diamond Naturals large Breed Puppy too. Not sure of the price on that one. The calcium/phosphorus ratio isn’t as high. It’s 1.2 % calcium to 1.0 % phosphorus. The purple Victor is a bit higher at 1.4 to 1. I’ve never had a problem with it, but some may say it’s too high.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Take a look at the Diamond Naturals large Breed Puppy too. Not sure of the price on that one. The calcium/phosphorus ratio isn’t as high. It’s 1.2 % calcium to 1.0 % phosphorus. The purple Victor is a bit higher at 1.4 to 1. I’ve never had a problem with it, but some may say it’s too high.
I'll take a look. ?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Like already mentioned, definitely try Chewy.com! Quick delivery and outstanding customer service, if you reach out to them, they will answer to all your questions and give you some advice. With my pup, I fed him Canidae ALS (very good food but no LBP specific), Diamond Naturals LBP (Good ingredients, but I ordered from Amazon and I heard Amazon pet food quality is different as in bad, he had loose stools all the way). What I recommend if you HAVE to get his food at Walmart, the average, safest, most-economical choice is Iams LBP. My pup's stools were great, but unfortunately I think due to corn/wheat/soy his coat was a bit unshiny, if you know what I mean. I switch him now based on prices (sometimes they have weekly discount) between American Journey ALS large breed Salmon (a Chewy brand, No corn no wheat no soy AND SALMON-BASED!) and Propac LBP. Both great food in our opinion. So have a go at Iams LBP (Walmart, budget-conscious), American Journey or Propac. Good stools, good coat, healthy GSD. Diarrheas are tough both on the owner and the dog! Hope you'll find the food that'll suit your GSD soon.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Yes food is expensive but this was the commitment you made when you bought a German shepherd puppy (a breed prone to health issues and a breed that requires A LOT of food because of their size). Our puppy had a lot of medical issues as well and cost us a ton of money, but we knew it was our responsibility to take care of him the best we could, that meant not eating out anymore, carpooling to save gas, etc. until we got better jobs. Sometimes we joke that this dog is as expensive as having a kid. This puppy is yours to take care of, he might need better food than a $50 bag (although BB is way over priced for what you're getting), he is your responsibility. These tend to be (at least in my experience) high maintenance dogs, expensive food, lots of exercise, and a lot of training.

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
You feed the best you can afford. Feeding these dogs doesn’t have to be bank breaking expensive. OP, find a dog food and stick with it awhile. The ones Magwart suggested is a good place to start.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts