German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

So im a new German Shepherd owner. My puppy is great, the wife and really enjoy having him around. His name is Zeus and he is about 13 weeks old.

Once I picked him up I started feeding him Merricks BackCountry Puppy Recipe. Once he finished that bag I switched him over to Victor Select Ultra Pro and that is what he is currently eating. Since I got my puppy he's been a heavy scratcher. I didn't think much of it until about 2 weeks ago when I started noticing that he was getting irritated in spots. I started giving him omega bites thinking it might just be dry skin but it hasn't seem to help any. I also don't think its the food as he's been scratching since before I switched him over. I visited a Tractor Supply to get his shots and the vet said she wasn't sure and she couldn't spot any fleas. They take all walk-ins so I believe she didn't take the time to make any suggestions.

So now I am planning on scheduling a vet appointment for this weekend to see if they can tell me whats going on. Anyways I figured I could post here and see if you guys have ran into similar issues.

The irritation is on the tip of his nose, in between his crotch, and in his pits area.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So after I made this post I did a search and started to find answers to my question. After reading a couple of similar posts I decided to purchase Curaseb Chlorhexidine. I will receive it by Saturday and start using immediately. I really hope it helps my puppy.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
I hope that will clear things up. I wish I had found chlorohex wash sooner in my 8 year battle with allergy related symptoms. Good luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Beautiful pup! Just a thought.. maybe he is allergic or has a sensitivity to wheat or grains? Only reason I say this is, I had an english bull terrier who had the same irritated skin in the same spots. Brought him to our vet who ran an allergy test and it came back to a grain allergy. Just switched his food/treats to grain free and the irritation went away. Again.. just a thought. Good luck.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Cute puppy!

My puppy had a similar problem in the low tummy area that looked very much like your photos. My vet diagnosed "puppy acne". It cleared up, after a course of antibiotics and was fine for a month. It did come back in the same area, after a month and then cleared up on it's own.

My understanding is that one cause of "puppy acne" is hormonal changes. I had never heard of it before this. If you "Google" it you will find various articles on it. It is more common in the chin area. It's one possible answer and it could help to read up on it before your vet visit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the feedback!

I believe the Merrick food was grain free and we still had that problem. I will bathe him once a week on the shampoo and keep you guys posted!

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I decided to purchase Curaseb Chlorhexidine. I will receive it by Saturday and start using immediately. I really hope it helps my puppy.
You mentioned the face as well as the body. That shampoo is only for below the neck. Never, ever use it on the face! If it gets in the eyes, chlorhex can cause blindness. It’s very helpful on the rest of the body (and I’ve used lots of it), but follow the directions on the bottle exactly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You mentioned the face as well as the body. That shampoo is only for below the neck. Never, ever use it on the face! If it gets in the eyes, chlorhex can cause blindness. It’s very helpful on the rest of the body (and I’ve used lots of it), but follow the directions on the bottle exactly.

Thanks for the heads up Magwart!

Im thinking about getting insurance for my puppy and after doing some searching it looks like I'm leaning towards HealthyPaws. The posts that I saw were pretty dated. Do you still believe Healthy Paws to be one of the top contenders? Also, I did see that you previously had a code for 10% any chance that still works?

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Sent you a PM.

Yes, I have HP on my personal dogs, and they've paid out many thousands of dollars in claims on one of my dogs this year. I have had a very positive claims experience with them -- even for gigantic bills for top-of-the line specialty care.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys!

Quick update. The Curaseb really worked! I saw improvements within the first week of using it. Since then I have also switched to a grain-free victor fish product just in case. He’s been doing great so far! Below are pictures of him from our walk today. He has no more visible irritation but still tends to be a scratcher.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts