German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Niah, 2 years old
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 month old German Shepherd. She has recently been diagnosed with a severe Ventricular Arrhythmia and a Mild Tricuspid Valve Dysplasia which presents as a Grade II Murmur. She was put on Sotalol and Mexiletine. Since the medication was started, she hasn’t even got the strength to get up. She sleeps all day and her back legs collapsed on her twice. She’s not eating, I’ve had to let her medications lapse slightly and then I can hand-feed her spoonfuls of food. It’s only been 1 week and I feel she’s worse than ever. Does anyone have any experience treating this disease a different way? Alternate medications? Supplements? Maybe I need to wait more time? I have an appointment with an acupuncturist and I’ve increased her fish oil and added Hawthorne as a supplement. I’ve been looking into transitioning her to a raw diet, but she’s resistant, so I’ve just added raw meaty bones to get her interested. We’re really getting scared we’re going to lose her, especially as I’ve been seeing such a decline in her health this past week. Is it just luck for the 50% that do survive or is there something we can do to increase these odds??

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
Is she under the care of a veterinary cardiologist? If not, I would focus on getting her an appointment ASAP with one! Here's a link to the national directory, if your vet hasn't already referred you:

Asking to crowd source alternative supplements over the recommendation of a board-certified cardiologist seems like a dangerous route -- I would run ANY supplement by the vet who is caring for the pup, as many of them interfere with RX drugs. Be sure your acupuncturist has a DVM and is consulting with the vet who oversees the pup's care.

·
Registered
Niah, 2 years old
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I noted that she was DIAGNOSED with a Ventricular Arrhythmia and a Tricuspid Valve Dysplasia. She was also PRESCRIBED to take a combination of Mexiletine and Sotalol. I would have thought it’d be safe to assume that she does indeed have a cardiologist, especially since the TVD is diagnosed only after an echocardiogram. As far as my “crowd source”, isn’t that what this forum is about? I assumed that the forum was about getting information from people that may have experienced this first hand? Her cardiologist said put her on the medications and change her diet to Royal Canon. Then she hit me with a 50% survival rate, which would possibly be lower in her case with such a severe arrhythmia. That’s it, that’s all I got. I find Covid has drastically reduced the information you normally would get. Now, she has IBD to go along with her poor appetite and heart disease. That’s really made things difficult with her. Any recommendations on supplements I would have received would have been researched and forwarded to my vet. That seems like common sense to me. It’s very sad to watch a puppy wasting away before your eyes. I was just looking for some glimmer of hope that may have possibly improved our chances.

·
Registered
Niah, 2 years old
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any word on how this ended up going? I unfortunately lost my baby @ 7 months old - he showed no signs or symptoms. it was very sudden,
I’m so very sorry you lost your baby at such a young age. Do they know for sure it was the Inherited Arrhythmia? We have been very blessed to still have our girl. She’s 2 years old now. I changed her diet to a fully raw diet with fish each day and used a Hawthorn supplement. We just had an echo done and the cardiologist was surprised at her improvement. Her valve closed on its own and her arrhythmia is just about gone. I can’t say enough about how much I think her diet helped. I really believe that if she didn’t also have a Tricuspid Valve Dysplasia, the arrhythmia would’ve never been caught, and we’d have a different story to tell. Again, I’m so sorry for your loss. 🫂

1 - 6 of 6 Posts