German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are picking up our puppy tomorrow and the breeder called to inform us that the entire litter has been diagnosed with Coccidia. The puppies are 8 weeks.

So, here is the question for folks in the forum (especially those that have dealt with Coccidia): How concerned should I be ? Should I still pick up the puppy and continue medication and re-treatment if necessary...or should I wait for the puppy to be fully cured before I make a decision ? I read somewhere that it takes a minimum of 28 days for the parasite to be flushed out.
So any advice is welcome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,300 Posts
If it were me, I'd talk to the breeder and see if they can get it flushed out before picking up the puppy.

I'm curious as to how that happened, but that's just me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it were me, I'd talk to the breeder and see if they can get it flushed out before picking up the puppy.

I'm curious as to how that happened, but that's just me.
There are pros/cons to this approach.If I wait for the infection to be flushed out (4 weeks), the puppy will be 12+ weeks . We'll have missed a very important phase of early socialization by then. But then again, since I don't know how tough it is to deal with this infection, I don't want to jump into an unknown territory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,294 Posts
I would take the pup, as long as the breeder is supportive and you trust the breeder completely.
I think getting the pups away from each other will help them to clear it. Otherwise they will just keep poopin and trampling all over each others contamination.
Stay on the course of treatment and your pup will be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,933 Posts
Ususally they are on a 14 day round of Albon. Most of the time that takes care of it, however if not they will extend it. Chances of reinfection will be lower if you remove her from the litter. You will have to due dilegence to keep all of her stools picked up and sanitized.

Also keep in mind that stress can induce an already present coccida that is not symptomatic. I'm dealing with coccidia with a 9 week old now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,602 Posts
I'd take him home too, isolate him from the litter and proceed with the treatment. Great that the breeder let you know! I'd hate to miss those crucial weeks even though I had to put up with the icky poops and the meds
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ususally they are on a 14 day round of Albon. Most of the time that takes care of it, however if not they will extend it. Chances of reinfection will be lower if you remove her from the litter. You will have to due dilegence to keep all of her stools picked up and sanitized.

Also keep in mind that stress can induce an already present coccida that is not symptomatic. I'm dealing with coccidia with a 9 week old now.
I absolutely plan on picking up stools to prevent chance of reinfection..The problem is since I'll be bringing him home tomorrow..he wont be potty trained. How do you sanitize accidents on carpets/hardwood since coccidia is not killed by regular household cleaners (Lysol, etc) ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,933 Posts
No regular household cleaners will not kill it. My vet advised me to use chlorox diluted 30:1. This is all areas including grass/dirt/concrete/etc. Just mix it in a spray bottle and have on hand to spray at each cleanup. I'm dealing with it now so I know you can handle it! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
I'm glad the breeder called you before you picked up puppy. That's more than I can say from my experience!!!! Pick up the pup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No regular household cleaners will not kill it. My vet advised me to use chlorox diluted 30:1. This is all areas including grass/dirt/concrete/etc. Just mix it in a spray bottle and have on hand to spray at each cleanup. I'm dealing with it now so I know you can handle it! :)
Perfect. Thanks for the inputs. I'm speaking to my vet in the AM as well before heading out to pick up the puppy. We just heard from the breeder today about coccidia
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
That's a good idea speaking to your vet. I'm just sitting here shaking my head about all of this.....because I know some of us have been thru it! Keep us posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,250 Posts
I don't see coccidia as any big thing... I'd pick up the pup and advance as normal.

I just got rid of a foster puppy who had coccidia, and 10+ dogs at my work have coccidia, too.

They take pills (foster was on for three weeks) and you pick up poops/bleach. Was a non-issue otherwise. My foster pup also had ringworm and roundworms though, so I had a handful. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So here is the update: Spoke to the vet in the AM and on advise from the vet and a lot of folks in this thread went ahead and picked up the pup. Bottom line, the breeder's vet detected coccidia on Friday and immediately started the Albon. So, by the time I picked up today, the puppy already had 4 doses in him. That's the good news. I'll be taking the puppy tomorrow AM to my vet to see the prognosis. I'll keep the updates posted on the thread. Bottom line, the vet advised me that taking the puppy away from the kennel will improve his chances of not getting re-infected
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,294 Posts
Congrats on getting your new baby! I look forward to pictures
Be sure pup is doing well before having vaccinations given. That can be a stress on the immune system that is already in overload.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top