German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So our 13 week old puppy has a broken front left #3 toe. Vet wants to splint, and I'm nervous from reading all the negative info about splinting. I found a hard splint on line made by Walkin Wheels front paw splint, that seemes like a better option than weekly sedation and splint changes the vet recommended.
Also how in the world am I going to keep a puppy GSD on virtual bed rest for minimum 6-8weeks!?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Poor puppy! I would ask the vet about using the hard splint because the pup is so active or if the daily changes & bed (crate) rest could be done for the first week or so and then switch over to the hard splint. If I didn't think that discussion went well and I still had reservations, I would get a second opinion. But I would begin the treatment the vet suggested in the meantime.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Ouch, yes check about a hard split. You might need to use a cone or inflatable collar to keep the puppy from chewing on it but it really could help be a good compromise. Also, lots of chew treats and low impact games to keep the brain stimulated but the body calm.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
If the vet is going to SPLINT it then it would be a hard splint. Soft wrap would simply be a bandage, although many call them "soft splints". And either way, with a hard splint cast padding and vet wrap still needs to be applied underneath the splint to cushion and avoid pressure sores, then the splint is applied over the wrapping, then vet wrap is used to keep it in place. It MUST be changed at least once a week, as moisture will form and cause dermatitis. There is no way to get around that.

As far as resting, it's going to be really hard, but kenneled or kept on a very short leash.

I'm so sorry this happened. :( Paws can be extremely hard to heal. E-collar at all times, make sure there is no way he can get to the bandage/splint or he WILL tear it off.

I hope your little guy gets better soon!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts