German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... I do the whining.

My pup is 15 weeks old now and it's been so long since I had a pup that I think I've forgotten everything I knew. I have some weird questions.

Tail --- mine still has a ratty looking tail (no brush). Should he already have it or when will he get it??? (he's a fairly close-coated solid black).

Loose skin, particularly around the neck. he has so much skin that his collar looks odd. I can pull skin above his collar or below or his collar and it pooches out. Makes it hard to fit a collar properly. He also has loose lips, almost great dane like. Any chance any of this will tighten up .. be grown into? So much water gets on the floor when he drinks that I think he's rotting the edge of the baseboard! if you put a towel or something down (I have something folded up under the bowl itself), then he won't leave it alone.

His ears were up and now he has the flying nun going on. Ugh .. being solid black he looks very lab-like. Not a good look at all.

Outside I'm having major issues because of an abandoned kitten still. It's hard to do anything outside because he is so incredibly distracted by the kitten (who loves dogs and keeps coming up to him to rub on him while he stares it down hoping it will run so he can chase it). I'm getting quite frustrated and he's not getting the exercise he needs (we have an acre of land!) because I don't want to turn him loose to just run around.

He has no impulse control and is overly interested in people and dogs so any suggestions would be welcome. He attends a puppy class so do get some tips from the trainer (mainly about his horrible pulling at the moment). His lunging is awful and is tearing up my hands. just .. so .. distracted.. outside.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know this isn't helpful but it sounds like we have the same puppy!! :)

They're only a day apart too.

The distractions are what gets me the most, yesterday he went after a flower petal on our walk full force.

·
Registered
169 Posts
All of this sounds like normal puppy stuff to me. I don't think their tails "puff" out for a while. The skin on the neck is normal, once they fill out it will look proportional. The ears are floppy b/c of teething, they will go back up.

Can you walk him on a leash? Training is slow but steady so get started and be patient.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We do a simulation of walking on leash .. he focuses so on the surroundings outside that he ignores me 98 percent of the time. He never notices when I change directions or anything. Guess I will try it with treats, but like I said been a lonnng time since I had a pup and have only use praised based rewards so am new to treating.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts