German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had our male GSD pup "Diego" for a couple of days. He is great overall, no major issues. He sleeps in his crate overnight & is potty trained (fingers crossed)
The only problem I have is when he goes in to his crate he barks & whines up a storm for about 15 minutes none stop. He does settle down though. I also have a chain link pen in the backyard (8 x 12) whenever i place him in there the barks none stop. I only took him out when he eventually stopped barking.
Will this eventually seize as he realizes the barking does no good? We do ignore him when he is barking.

Booey

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
LOL!!! I have been going through this exact same thing with my puppy... she is 13 weeks now and has figured out that screaming and whining does nothing to her. Other than one day she might lose her voice. We got her at 8 weeks and the first couple of nights, she basically voiced her opinion about us putting her into the crate... ALLL night long... every day since then she has gotten better. She has realized that the screaming does nothing for her, she never gets out of the crate if she screams/whines, unless I think she has to go potty, then I will take her outside directly, and then after she potties, right back in the crate. Every day she cried less and less and now it is almost nothing.
So yes it does stop, just stay consistent and do not give in!!! I know how hard that can be...

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Is this a puppy? I personally NEVER recommend leaving a puppy outdoors unattended, so if you stop that, so will the barking

As far as the indoor crate training goes, I always use a modified version of this cause I also don't have the heart for the whining.

At night, the crate is right beside my bed, so the whining is usually just for a minute or so and then we all sleep.

The rest of the day, when I'm home, I use closed doors, baby gates and vigilance to keep my pup in the same room I am in. The idea of the crate is to confine and control our pups so we can train them. So, if I am home, and they are in the same room, it's a similar situation.

The only other time I crate is when I leave the house. I have a calm quiet routine I always follow that ends with kind of an exciting part of me GETTING A TREAT and then going to the crate, tossing the treat in (pup should follow) close the crate door and then (this is important) I immediately leave the house.

The whining is the NORMAL behavior our puppies are genetically set up to do when 'the pack' is separated. They are trying to communicate to the 'stupid humans' that they are stuck, can't get out and OVER HERE!!!!!!! And since clearly we are deaf, they must have to get pretty loud so we may hear......

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd like to think i'm a little smarter than that. I would'nt leave a 9 week ole pup in the yard unsupervised. I placed him in the kennel whilst mowing the lawn & cleaning the yard. Gotta get him used to the sounds of the mower etc...

I guess there is hope as today, since posting my message he has barked & whined for 10 minutes not 15 like yesterday. I guess I'll take the 10 & hope for 5 minutes tomorrow & then 0 minutes the day after?

Thanks all
Booey

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update. I just placed Diego in his crate after a little playtime & he put up ZERO fuss. Not a wimper not a sound! I went to the kitchen to get him a treat & got side tracked as the phone rang. 5 minutes later he is fast asleep!
Let's hope this is the beginning of good things!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Good to hear Diego is getting used to his crate. I think we were lucky in that Qadira took to her crate right away. Her crate is right next to our bed at night so she can see and hear us breathing. I often hear her wake up and move about at night, you know that thud when they plop down in a new position. I like the way she smells so I like it that she is next to my side of the bed. Only issue I have been working on is her biting heals and sleeves. She is most energetic in the morning from 6-8AM, then settles down, then in the evening she starts up again btween 5-7PM chasing and grabbing my pant legs. Some days are better than others, today she was all over me. I have tried redirecting her which works sometimes, the "ouch" which worked for about one day. Now I usually hold still and repeat "no biting" and "let go" until she stops. To her it is a game. I also tried the ignore her routine and that works reasonably well. Since I want to do Schutzhund with her I am not sure if it is good to be too hard on her about biting. She seems to have learned to reduce her bite grip, or sometimes she will lick me then it turns into little nips like she is testing my tolerance for her biting.

Glenn

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Chevy cried and whined the first couple nights in his crate but has been cooperative ever since and doesn't make a fuss. I leave the crate door open all day and he will go in there by himself to take his afternoon nap
The only time he does make a fuss in his crate is when the pesky cat sits in front of it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts