German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be getting our puppy in the upcoming weeks. So ive been doing some looking around and local vets and other places.
Banfield of Petsmart as a Puppy wellness program.
Puppy Wellness Plans - Optimum Wellness Plans - Banfield Pet Hospital

Also PetSupermarket has vaccine program too.
Affordable Pet Vaccination Packages & Prices

As much as I like our local vets, the price they charge can quadruple these prices.

Are these a good choice starting out due to all the visits and vaccines?

Also my friend who has a GSD recommend having a gastropexy done the same time when shes gets spayed. From what Ive read it would probably be a good idea. And seems to be a great debate on age of dogs to have fixed. So any opinions on this would also be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
32,585 Posts
I have never used the vets at either place, but there have been people on the forum who have, and they were not happy with Banfield. Rather than paying for a package deal, some places (around me it's Pet Food Express) will have low cost vaccination drop ins to keep costs down, and then you could use your regular vet for the big stuff. Be careful no matter where you take her - until she's had a couple rounds of puppy shot she's still at risk of getting parvo, which can be deadly. I didn't let mine walk on the floor at the vet's until they were too big to carry!

Do you know if there's a history of bloat in your puppy's lines? I have never had a gastropexy done with a spay, but I know some people do. That would be a question to discuss with your vet.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I really like the Banfield Wellness plan but it depends on the vets that are working there. I have found it a great value and it includes six month preventive care appointments. This allowed us to catch our old girl's lymphoma at a very early stage and enjoy 16 months with her. Plus, I have never had to wait for an appt. if I have any concerns.

As for age of spaying and gastropexy, I'll leave that to more experienced folk.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No history of it in the lines. But it was mentioned to me, then after doing a quick Google search it can defiantly be a preventive thing to avoid something devastating.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts