German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at some growth charts I found on the internet which may have been a bad idea. My Gypsy girl is 10 weeks today and 16 lbs. Some charts are saying that is small for a GSD. However, my previous GSD (Sugar) was 18 lbs at 10 weeks and grew to 90 lbs. Comparing Gypsy's weight to Sugar's suggests Gypsy will be around 75 lbs. Does this seem right.

And hurray! Both ears are now up. :laugh2: And oh no! She's started shedding her puppy down. :surprise:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I know it is hard but try not to get caught up on puppy weight. As long as your vet thinks she is healthy she's fine. I'd love to see pictures!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm not really hung up on weight so much. I'm just curious. Gypsy has legs that look like concrete pillars. This is suggesting she is going to be big. However, her weight is below average (?), so I'm seeing mixed signals. Daddy was big, but mamma was smallish -- prolly around 55 to 60 lbs. It was hard to tell because she had lost a lot of weight due to nursing.

This is Gypsy at 8 weeks:

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the same concerns about Major. He was quite small, versus the growth chart, at 10 weeks. The vet assured me he'd be 100+ pounds based on the size of his legs and paws. Now, at 6 months, he's 75 pounds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts