German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. We just took Gemini and Lucky into their latest vet visit, and got their current weight. If we went with the age the breeder gave us(that would make them about 14 weeks) or the age estimate we did (11 weeks ), is their weight a problem? They both weighed out at about 17.3 for Gem, and 17.6 for Lucky.

Our vet doesn't think it's a problem, and that they're growing just fine, because they recently had a bout of worms, but I wanted to consult you guys. Should I be feeding more?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
why do you think there's a problem with your dogs weight especially after your Vet said they're fine?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
why do you think there's a problem with your dogs weight especially after your Vet said they're fine?
:thumbup:

Why is everyone so concerned about weight. Weight is trivial! If the pup itself is healthy looking and a proper weight for its size - which we CANT tell you baised of a number and an estimated age? - it doesnt matter how much the pup weighs. Btw why do you not trust the breeders age and estimate a full 3 weeks younger?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
These pups were 6 days apart in age and had a 7 lb weight difference - zeke the GSD only weighed 8 lbs at 8 weeks old. When they matured zeke had 30lbs on the husky who grew to be a normal 65lbs for the breed. Both were perfectly healthy puppies

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yep. My little girl is 12 weeks old and 17lb 10oz. According to weight chats she should be 26lb. If she weighed that she would be fat!! She's the second smallest puppy at puppy school, with the two huskys and the 16 week old lab taking out pole position, followed by a bulldog.

River looks a bit slim in her waist area, but the rest of her looks good (as good as a long legged awkward puppy can anyways!) if puppies are healthy, happy and still being puppies, then Everything should be fine. :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
@ that age I wouldn't worry to much about weight as long as they are acting normaly. I would trust my breeder as far as age because he bred the dogs. It would be hard to say whether they are eating enough, unless the amount you feed and the food you feed are provided.
When I picked up Django at 8 weeks he was about 13lbs at 12 weeks he was 15. He will be 6 months in 4 days and was 56lbs last friday @ 24 weeks. If he is 1 lb more then last week he will be right on the growth chart. He is weighed weekly at the vet for various reasons. Every friday. He is a very active guy. He swims alot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts