German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Update

Finally got in to see the vet I wanted, he gave him a thorough check up including his back legs. I mentioned my concern, he said he couldn't feel anything wrong with them but he does want to X-ray him... So I'm going to get him X-ray'd when I get him neutered which will be sometime between 6 months and a year of age, probably sooner then later since he lives with a large neutered male.

The vet also said he liked his body condition(I can now feel his ribs) and that I've been doing a good job of keeping him growing nice and slow. He is 47lbs and he will be 5 months old next week! :)

So overall a good visit :laugh:

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
He also has an umbilical hernia which I discovered the first day I brought him home so this will probably affect him getting neutered a little earlier then I originally thought... I'd rather get all of it taken care of in one go then put him through multiple surgeries.

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
I have a 6 year old girl who has an umbilical hernia. I never bred her, I never spayed her, It has never been a problem. I think that I would neuter your boy when you want to, I don't think I would do it sooner because of an umbilical hernia.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have a 6 year old girl who has an umbilical hernia. I never bred her, I never spayed her, It has never been a problem. I think that I would neuter your boy when you want to, I don't think I would do it sooner because of an umbilical hernia.
True, I'm probably just being paranoid... Mostly I'm just worried how my neutered golden will react to him when he's matured and still intact(right now they are BFF's).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Someone at the park asked me today if my puppy had spinal surgery because of the way he was walking... :eek:

Maybe she just doesn't know GSD's but then it got me worrying because they do seem a bit weak at times. He is currently 4 1/2 months old and is a WGSL/WL cross if that matters at all. Is this something I should worry about, just gangly puppyhood and is there anything I can do to strengthen his legs more? He's currently on Orijen regional red with a little bit of raw a few times a day, I am getting ready to try him on Fromm LBP though. I can talk to his breeder too, just interested in others opinions!

This is the best video I gave to show his back legs and gait. Thank you for any thoughts!

hope your dog is doing well ,now. I've bought 6 months old GS male puppy , he has same problem. shall i take him to vet or the problem will go away with age and regular walk?

·
Registered
153 Posts
My puppy walked funny when he was little too. I mean it’s like a baby learning to walk ya know? I think we tend to over worry. If the dog gets close to 1 and still walks funny then you can start worrying

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
This is a really old thread, but honestly, most worries go away with time and exercise! Get your puppy out exploring and running on natural surfaces. Many times that helps alot...

21 - 31 of 31 Posts