German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Samantha is now almost 17 weeks old and about a week ago I noticed both her hind legs start pushing outwards after she walks or runs for a certain amount of time.

I took her to the vet last week and mentioned it to him and he said that it could be because she is growing too fast. He gave me a supplement (Pet Tabs) to give her daily which I've been doing.

Should I be worried?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
What kind of lines is she from? Extreme rear angulation that you find in the American showlines or even some German showlines can cause a weird looking walk like you're explaining.

Hard to tell without actually seeing it. Do you have a camera to make a video? If you can, it would help.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Mia had an occational limp here and there with her front paws...the vet said it was growing pains and it has been months since we've seen any limping. It was around the same age as your pup. Just keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Oh yeah, normal! She is a bit "hocky" due to her rear angulation. Most likely the rear will angulation will decrease some, she will grow into herself.

Your pup does not need supplementation or veterinary intervention. The PetTabs are okay as a vitamin supplement though. She is fine and I will bet you the "wobble" will go away as she grows into herself and tightens up from puppy looseness. If I had video of mine a couple months ago it would have looked the same.

Beautiful pup, by the way.

·
Registered
235 Posts
When Lizzie was little, it was like she had two different bodies. Sometimes it was like she didn't know what her hind end was doing and would get surprised!!! She was so clumsy. But thank goodness she has grown out of that and is beautiful in motion now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
She's beutiful and a big girl.My pup Is 5 months old and hes prob close to 60 lbs and very big boned his walk is identical to youre pups I was worried to so I took him to the vet and they checked his hips and told me he is fine he just needs time to grow into his big body.

·
Registered
20 Posts
OMG! That walk looks exactly like Vytas when he was younger. My husband and I wondered if we should be concerned. Alas, Vytas is nine months old now and he is growing into his back legs and feet and Iam getting a glimpse of that beauty in motion developing.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
The chances of a vet understanding this normal development in a German Shepherd pup are not too great. Fortunately, my vet is GSD person and would not surmise this to be "growing too fast" or in need of supplements. Best to ask people with years in the breed also. There is nothing wrong with the pup's motion in the rear if that is the owner's concern. I have seen many, many like her.

When the angulation is too extreme and persists into adulthood, then the motion is considered "dirty" from behind. It is a fault in an adult dog. This again would be a function of the angulation, not a medical condition.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
I agree with Samba. She will most likely grow out of it. Do you know what her bloodlines are?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hysterical and cute, cute, cute. Sofie walked a little funky when she was this age. She's fine now @ 5 months....although sometimes her rear still looks a little sideways. I've been told that they grow out of it.

SoCalRyan, she's beautiful.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
She looks to be West German showline breeding. The rear angulation that you see in your pup is common in the lines. She probably won't have extreme rear leg angulation when she grows up and the wobble will go away. If the puppies don't start out with more angulation than they need, once adult development occurs they won't have enough angulation left for a bigger step in gaiting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
She looks to be West German showline breeding. The rear angulation that you see in your pup is common in the lines. She probably won't have extreme rear leg angulation when she grows up and the wobble will go away. If the puppies don't start out with more angulation than they need, once adult development occurs they won't have enough angulation left for a bigger step in gaiting.
Thank you so much for all your knowledgeable responses Samba!

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Looks like a goofy, awkward puppy to me. Basically it's the story of any GSD puppy growing into their body. Looks completely normal to me.

As long as she isn't showing any signs of being in any kind of pain - i wouldnt worry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Keeping your puppy lean is a must and keep the protein low so they grow slow.
We are currently feeding her 2 cups of Purina Pro Plan Puppy Lamb & Rice dry food mixed with a tablespoon of canned Purina Pro Plan Puppy wet food.

This is what the breeder recommended. We feed her two times a day.

Is there a better brand of dry food that I should be giving her?
I'm open to any suggestions.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
My BYB recommended that crap to me too :sick:

Solid Gold Wolf Cub or Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy is what I highly recommend

1 - 20 of 25 Posts