German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We mentioned to our vet about Z diving into dirt any chance he gets. He said we can try Rx Essentials for Dogs. But that has allot of calcium. Are there any vitamins/minerals that come with less calcium? He eats Fromm LBP 4 cups a day, he is 17 weeks today and only 31 pounds. He does not look too thin or too bulky, just have not hit that crazy growth period yet.

He also gets treats, prozyme, sometimes probiotic, pumpkin, frozen carrots and marrow bones.

Is he getting not enough calcium, I don't know.... Doc. did mention to watch calcium intake, so i am not lost even more.

Any feedback?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I would check back with Doc on the calcium amount in Rx Essentials - and ask if that is too much to give to your puppy. And if it is, does he have any other recommendations.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I would also keep the puppy from eating dirt - redirecting by throwing a ball or stick may help.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would also keep the puppy from eating dirt - redirecting by throwing a ball or stick may help.
We don't let him eat dirt, but to take him out to potty, first thing he will do is dart for a mouth full of dirt. It's been challenging.

·
Registered
31,717 Posts
He eats Fromm LBP 4 cups a day, he is 17 weeks today and only 31 pounds. He does not look too thin or too bulky, just have not hit that crazy growth period yet.

He also gets treats, prozyme, sometimes probiotic, pumpkin, frozen carrots and marrow bones.

Any feedback?
Why is he getting digestive enzymes, probiotics and pumpkin? Does he have digestive issues? If so, I would look to an answer for that before throwing a supplement at him. Fromm is a good food and he should not need extra vitamins and minerals.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
He is getting more than enough from what you're feeding him. He eats dirt because he likes the taste. Keep the land shark leashed and don't let him go to the dirt pile.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why is he getting digestive enzymes, probiotics and pumpkin? Does he have digestive issues? If so, I would look to an answer for that before throwing a supplement at him. Fromm is a good food and he should not need extra vitamins and minerals.
He had/has soft stool for a while and adding ProZyme really helped, same with pumpkin. The vet knows we add this and stated that it does not hurt in any way. You can add digestive enzyme at any age to any dog especially since our pup had issues and was underweight. We are not just throwing this at him =) so far we don't have any answers. It has been trial and error and new food has been great so far, but when puppies dive at dirt they way ours does, it can be due to mineral deficiency.

·
Registered
31,717 Posts
I'm aware you can add digestive enzymes and probiotics to any dog at any time. My point is that he may be eating dirt because he has digestive issues...which would cause the mineral deficiency. So instead of throwing a supplement at him to put a bandaid over the problem...find out why he's having digestive issues and treat the problem.

Or not...your choice.

IMO, the fact that the ProZyme helped would have me looking at possible EPI, IBS, SIBO if he continues to have issues.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Jax,
The vet currently does not want to test for those things. Due to his siblings being fine and good pedigree (no where in his line any dogs had these problems) it is such a rare chance for him to have any of that, he thinks that the food that we had him on had way to much fat for him to tolerate. We had him on Solid Gold Hundchen Flocken. I can do all sorts of test and throw money in the air, but so far he has been getting better, he also had Giardia etc so that's why we had probiotic. The antibiotic messed him up, another reason we waited to do any tests. Our vet is honest and thinks it's a total waste of money to do tests at this time. We have skipped days without prozyme and he was fine and same with probiotic, so there is no more digestive problems. The vet told us to just keep giving it to him anyway because everything he eats (dirt/grass) can re-upset the stomach and probiotic will help balance that out. So it's not like we don't want to test for everything, it's that we just don't need to at this time. The vitamin was just something both us and vet wanted to try to see if it helps or if it just puppy PICA.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He is getting more than enough from what you're feeding him. He eats dirt because he likes the taste. Keep the land shark leashed and don't let him go to the dirt pile.
So I think we are under feeding him... I just looked at the chart and we can give him way more now that he hit 4mo/30 pounds.
So I guess less food, less vitamins and hopefully by increasing his food amount, everything increases as well.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow...
So I called my Vet's office asking about the calcium and nutrients and how not to over-doze him. I am amazed at what they did:

• They asked for Z's food and how much he gets
• Pulled up both Fromm ingredients and RX Essentials
• Calculated proper daily amount that he should be getting
• Had a second vet/surgeon look at the calculation
• Contacted RX essentials, it is formulated by a doctor

After all that, they called me back and told me that the vitamins + his current food will be a perfect amount, no overdose and not too much calcium =)

So I guess try it?

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't. Any extra calcium will go to his joints, and mess them up.
But you do what you think is right.
There are people who trust the vet's opinion implicitly. I'm not one of them.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
So I think we are under feeding him... I just looked at the chart and we can give him way more now that he hit 4mo/30 pounds.
So I guess less food, less vitamins and hopefully by increasing his food amount, everything increases as well.
Do not go by the chart if it's for a 30 pound adult dog. The way you do it is take the full amount for your dog's projected adult weight, which is around 80 pounds, divide it by the number of meals, and that is what you need to give him.
If you think he needs a supplement, give him Olewo carrots or beets. Those would provide vitamins and minerals he may need, and not overload his system with things he doesn't.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honestly, I wouldn't. Any extra calcium will go to his joints, and mess them up.
But you do what you think is right.
There are people who trust the vet's opinion implicitly. I'm not one of them.
The calcium amount in daily doze is only 75mg and they should be getting 200mg a day. we know about the "too much", but none at all is bad as well. We want it for other minerals not the calcium. I guess there is no pet vitamin that comes without it.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do not go by the chart if it's for a 30 pound adult dog. The way you do it is take the full amount for your dog's projected adult weight, which is around 80 pounds, divide it by the number of meals, and that is what you need to give him.
If you think he needs a supplement, give him Olewo carrots or beets. Those would provide vitamins and minerals he may need, and not overload his system with things he doesn't.
The carrots just came in! I have them! =)
ok so the food chart? its puppy food, fromm large breed puppy and i am following their chart?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Delgado ate 4 cups a day of Fromm LBP as well and was always lanky, at 10 months he was 66 lbs. He's going in this month for his yearly checkup and I'm curious to see his weight now, he's finally filling in and down to 3.5 cups of Fromm's four star line.

Go by Zeus and his physique, if his ribs start poking out then up it by a 1/2 cup or so. If he starts looking his tuck then decrease by 1/2 cup. Delgado was up to 4.5 cups at one point and still very lean, he just burnt it off quicker then any dog I've ever had. Once he hit almost a year he finally started to slow down and he was down to 4 then now 3.5 cups. The charts are just a guideline :)

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Oops, my post was supposed to ready "loosing" his tuck :rolleyes: My bad

They all grow at different rates, he's still young yet :) If he's 1 year and still 31 pounds I'd be worried lol He's got some big paws and ears to grow into ;)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The vet said just wait, any day now and he will be gaining 1-2 pounds a day!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts