German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started taking Leo, my 14 week GSD, to the dog park last week and he would not play with the other dogs there. I took him to the smaller dog park because he wasn't big enough to go to the big dog park yet making him one of the biggest dog there. Whenever a dog comes up to him, he would put his ears back, tuck his tail between his legs and lick the other dog's face. Is this normal? At home he is very energetic and playful. How can I help him gain some more confidence?

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Very normal, just make sure the other dog doesn't do anything to your puppy at this point. Next time he will have more confidence, and then more, and then more. As long as the other dog doesn't snap at him, or growl, he will learn that the other dogs are just fine. This can be an issue at a dog park because you have no idea what the other dog will react like. AT 14 weeks he's young, and should be submitting to all older dogs.

Again, I can't reiterate it enough, do not let another dog growl/nip/attack your dog at this age. That will completely ruin his confidence, and can cause him to become reactive. I would suggest trying to find a good group of dogs to have "play dates" with, rather than risking it at the dog park, later on you can take him to the dog park. Unless you are confident that the dogs in your dog park are safe and well mannered, I wouldn't go there, but I also go to the dog park a lot and did bring my 4 month old there for socialization.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, All of the other dogs we met at the dog park are very playful and friendly. None of the dogs there are agressive at all. None of them bark or nip or anything like that. They try to get him to play licking his face and rolling over in front of him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts