German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading on here when someone had mentioned puppies can be given vaccinations as early as 2 weeks apart. I had thought 3 weeks was the soonest, which is the schedule we have our girl on on with our vet. I'm also debating about taking her for walks with us, but she's only had her second shot, which was 2 weeks ago.

I have not asked our vet in regards to vaccinations that close together, but was also told I should wait to bring her out until 2 weeks after her 3rd shot. I'm just a little concerned to start her socialization that late since I'm still new to this area and do not know many people with dogs I'd trust around her for play dates.

We were considering taking her along a trail we enjoy which is the lush green of WA state.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my pup was out and about after his 2nd round of shots
and in a puppy class.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Over in the uk our dogs only have two rounds of shots then need to wait a week before going outside. I'm currently waiting for the week to pass to take my pup out on a walk for the first time (I've had to carry him everywhere so far!)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
874 Posts
I'd be really careful and talk to your vet. Just because one person is lucky nothing happened to their dog..would you want to chance you not being as lucky? Our vet said NO to the parks and stuff because our town had a MAJOR parvo outbreak. You don't want to mess with that crap.
I'm going to chance a later socialization with dogs and hope for the best there. Roxy gets her last set next Wednesday and that's the night classes start...those dogs all have to have proof of being up to date.

_edit to add -- that will put her at 15 weeks old. I've been bringing people over to meet her. All ages and sizes ..and have introduced her to my best friends dogs ( which they are old and didn't like her)...but I knew they were ok to be around ..even if it was a fail on their part :(

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
PREFERRED schedule is becoming 8 weeks, 12 weeks, and then 16 weeks. 4 weeks apart. I did Berlin 3 weeks apart because I work in the field. He went to work with me at a busy emergency clinic since day 1 that I had him - 8 weeks old. Because of his high exposure I wanted to get them in him sooner.

I would never do vaccines 2 weeks apart. I feel personally that is a waste of the vaccine. The main thing you want to focus on is getting the last set in at around 16 weeks. That way you can be sure that mother's maternal antibodies from the colostrum aren't interfering.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would never do vaccines 2 weeks apart. I feel personally that is a waste of the vaccine. The main thing you want to focus on is getting the last set in at around 16 weeks. That way you can be sure that mother's maternal antibodies from the colostrum aren't interfering.
I've also never heard this until here. Our vet did suggest giving her one more, so 4 vs 3, to ensure she's had one at/after the 16 weeks mark. But, they also prefer 3 weeks apart using the 4 way and won't touch the 5 way, and suggest waiting till 6 months for rabies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts