German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, not sure if this is normal or not...

My daughter and I took Maximus in yesterday for his 9 weeks vaccinations. The vet said to keep an eye on him, as pups can have a reaction at the 2nd set of vaccinations. Well, he seemed fine for a few hours, but then it seems like he turned into a real landshark.

We've had Max for almost 2 weeks now and I know my pup. I've even mentioned in past posts that I was surprised how well he did as far as biting. He broke skin once... I have 2 small scratches and that's it. I was expecting a lot worse :) But last night, about 3 hours after his vaccinations... OMG... he clamped onto my jeans and ankle and would not let go... I've never seem him be this mouthy since we've had him. Not even half as bad. I figured he was a little stressed from going to the vet and he missed his evening nap, so thought he would be okay this morning after a good nights sleep. But again this morning when I went to feed him, he went after my ankles like they were steaks and wouldn't stop... every time since I've picked him up, when I made one of his meals, he would either sit and watch me or lay on my feet. Now, you literally can't go near him.

Again, I could see him being a little stressed and over tired last night, but I thought it was odd for him to act this way this morning.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'll see what he's like when I get home tonight and update.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
well , didn't he have giardia or something when you first got him to? He's probably REALLY feeling his oats now, he's getting older, and well the good times are most likely over, welcome to the world of landshark puppy :))))

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
:D
It's not the vaccine.
Have fun for the next few months!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
After Z was done with his meds and felt better, is when the landshark mode began as well.

He got me good yesterday!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My guy started about the exact same time and it's gotten worse the past 2 months. He turns 4 months tomorrow. I'm told that when the teething stops he should slow down and should be done by about 9 months. I can't wait!! Good Luck :)

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Cue the music, welcome to the world of GSD puppies :D Delgado was really good but he still had his moments ;)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
*laughing*

Dang it... and I thought I got really lucky with a wonderfully behaved little pup :)

So no more cute little fuzz ball that will lay on his back and beg for belly rubs? lol

·
Registered
766 Posts
My pup loved both belly rubs and chewing on a kong bone at the same time :) so maybe belly rub time isn't over :D.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
*laughing*

Dang it... and I thought I got really lucky with a wonderfully behaved little pup :)

So no more cute little fuzz ball that will lay on his back and beg for belly rubs? lol
Only when he is really tired and sleepy!

I miss Z's first week home =(

We were convinced that we broke him a few times when he fell over mid play and passed out! and got hiccups! lol
Jeff kept checking if the pup was breathing. Now you touch him in his sleep and he will jump right up.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
*laughing*

Sure, when they're tired especially :) Delgado wasn't particularily cuddly until he hit about 6 months old and now he's a total suck who loves lying on the couch and watching tv at night with his head in my lap

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Sure, when they're tired especially :) Delgado wasn't particularily cuddly until he hit about 6 months old and now he's a total suck who loves lying on the couch and watching tv at night with his head in my lap
this makes me so hopefull

·
Registered
313 Posts
Memories.......My girl Tess just turned 8 months old and still throws me a good nip now and then. Just this morning, she was up on my bed, where she is NOT supposed to be, so when I told her to get down and went to reach for her lead, she bite my hand. Oh she knew she was wrong because she ran and hid, which is something she never did when she was back at 9 weeks or so. She would bite me back then and not give it a second thought.

Yep, both me and my husband were covered in bite marks but do rest assured, it does get better as they grow older. Tess is now acting more and more like a little lady, rather than a devil in GS's clothing. I only get nipped occasionally now, rather than all the time.

Good luck....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Gypsy is only 1 year old. She likes to nip still but it's not has painful as when she was little. Of course even though Gypsy was nipping hard, she would still roll onto her back for a belly rub every now and then.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Of course still, he just will want to scratch and bite on you while you reach for his belly.
At 5.5 months our 31kg (thats >60 pounds) "puppy" still likes to chew while belly rubbed - but now either has a toy in his mouth or after a short nip and a strict "eh-eh" from me it stops again.

Wish you lots of patience in the next 2 months (always thing it will be over one day).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Go to a local butcher shop or grocery store and get some raw bones, preferable small softer bones with meat and fat on them. Give them to the puppy to chew on. We're doing that with our 11 week old and it has made a world of difference. Now, she searches around for the bone. When she starts mouthing on me or my wife, we take her to the bone, and she lays down and chews it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Angela, he's definitely in landshark mode, but he does still love his belly rubs! After that, it's game on! lol

Neko, I'm going to miss his first week and a half too. Max gets the hiccups quite a bit :) But he's never just passed out mid play. Guess you guys are really working him!

Shade, from what I've been hearing, I have about 4-5 months before that happens :) But I'll take what I can get now. I was suprised, he was in high shark mode and just stopped and layed on his back, wanted a belly rub. If I went to high, he would snip at my hands though :)

Thanks Linda, I'm just hoping the fuzzy piranah goes easy on my little one, which I'm not expecting. Max is great with redirection though, so we'll have to keep toys in our pockets :)

3GSD, Max did that once last night, which gave me a little hope.

uthomas, thanks, I'm going to need it! I caught myself yelling at pup when he clamped down on my toes last night and wouldn't let go. That hurt! Again, shoes are going to be a necessity... may go buy cheap sneakers WITHOUT laces too! lol

Ridgewalker, I give him meaty bones when he's in his crate during the day and when I need a break. He definitely enjoys them, but would rather chew on daddy :)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I just keep saying that this will all be worth it!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Zeus actually made me cry last night. My husband is on a trip for grad school and was not around to help when Zeus grabbed my hand. He tried to play tug and would not let go and that jaw has gotten so strong!

I am going to have to wear long sleeves to work because people probably already think I cut myself lol.

He now also jumps and bites. =( Keeping the leash on saved me a few times.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Zeus actually made me cry last night. My husband is on a trip for grad school and was not around to help when Zeus grabbed my hand. He tried to play tug and would not let go and that jaw has gotten so strong!

I am going to have to wear long sleeves to work because people probably already think I cut myself lol.

He now also jumps and bites. =( Keeping the leash on saved me a few times.
Lara made me cry earlier this week with something similar. she grabbed my hand and one of the sharp canines got that soft fold of skin between my thumb and rest of hand, so I had a nice little puncture there. :rolleyes:

Also Mog, welcome to landshark stage. Lara is 16 weeks old today and just lost her first teeth and is has her moments where this is the worst she's been lol. Wait til you get drive by ankle bites while they're mid zoomies :rofl:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts