German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, sorry for soo many threads, I am just trying to learn the best way to raise my GSD.

My question is, is it ok to walk around with a pocket full of treats and use that for positive reinforcement? For example, he goes to the bathroom outside? Or sits? And when I tell him no, to stop biting my hands and he does, I praise and give a treat. I have already gotten him to learn the "sit" command and my personal favorite the "release" command, I can say it across the room or outside and he drops what he has and I reward him with praise and a treat.

So basically my question is, giving treats with praise when he does something I ask of him, is this a correct way to be doing things?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally Posted By: Chris WildYes! It is 100% the best way to be doing things, especially with a young puppy.

thank you very much!!! Thats what I thought.

·
Super Moderator
32,304 Posts
I agree with Chris - that's exactly what I did when both of my dogs were puppies. I wore my treat bag from the time I got home from work until bedtime, rewarding with praise and treats any good behavior that I wanted to continue. Coming to you, eye contact, laying down calmly, potties outside, (and for me, not chasing the kitties), anything you want him to learn to do consistently. The more you reward him, the more he'll offer up the behavior.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats great to hear! Thats exactly what I do, I use eye contact and nothing but positive reinforcement with praise and treats, I am very happy to hear I am doing things right.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Devin,

I see from other posts that you are interested in either SchH or PPD for your dog. Be careful with inhibiting his bite by saying "no" when he bites you. Better to redirect to a toy without saying no. Yes, that means looking like a goof and always walking around with a toy in your back pocket while they are young!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats what I do, I just move my hand and put a toy in place of my hand and tug with him.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
SchH is quite different then having a companion pup. If you wish to pursue that course please seek advice ASAP. There are some differences on how you handle your pup.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
If you are feeding kibble you can just use the puppy's daily ration as the 'treats'.

Otherwise, I would use very, VERY tiny pieces. You don't want a fat puppy!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think you're doing good!
I'm in the process of training a 9 wk old girl myself, but without treats. She isn't very food driven. With her it's all about the 'Good girl!' parties and a good tug.

Zues, thanks for that tidbit..even though it isn't for me LOL
Depending on how she blossoms, we've really been hoping to be able to do Sch. or PPD training with our girl. It can be hard to redirect your normal route of offsetting puppy biting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts