German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a meeting with one of the K9 Deputies concerning the training of my 10 month old GSD, Sarge. He brought his dog to show me what could be achieved in ten weeks. Boy, was I surprised. The only thing is the cost, $1200.00. Does that seem high to you guys that have seen those dogs in action?

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
It can be amazing BUT.............

The problems with the training my dog has isn't because of my dog. It's because I don't know how to train them. So if I send them away, and then get them back, unless I was with them for the 10 weeks I'd get a trained dog and STILL be an untrained handler/owner.

Specially for the liability issues if I thought I wanted to do any type of protection work (though not sure that's what you are suggesting). I know the police with k9s in my area train daily, tons daily with obedience and protection/tracking whatever to keep themselves and their dogs trained up. So it's not only the initial training but the 'homework' forever with an handler that knows their job.

So, for me, I don't send my dogs away (plus I've heard nightmare stories of training gone wrong and 10 weeks later getting back a mess in dog form when people sent away their loved pet). Instead I do what I know is best for my dogs. I go to classes to train WITH my dog so we learn and progress together.

:)

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Is you dog going away for 10 weeks? Are you working together with the deputy and if so how many hours? That seems like a long time to be away, if that is the case. Our trainer does a 1 week boot camp, often what I've noticed that at our regular training classes, these dogs have bonded to the trainer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is you dog going away for 10 weeks? Are you working together with the deputy and if so how many hours? That seems like a long time to be away, if that is the case. Our trainer does a 1 week boot camp, often what I've noticed that at our regular training classes, these dogs have bonded to the trainer.
No, it's in home training. He comes to the house and shows you how to train your dog really. They guarantee their service for the life of the dog. In other words, if you are haveing trouble, he will come back to help straighten the dog, or you out? It's a ten week in house traing.

·
Super Moderator
32,538 Posts
What training methods does he use?

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
As far as price goes, in my area $120 for an in home private is standard. That's what you're paying if you break it down. That being said I would be very careful how the dog is being trained. Does the trainer have lots of different methods and training tools? Are you comfortable with those tools/styles? Is the dog?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I personally would not train my dog with a shock collar. I have used a shock collar, but only after everything else failed. My oldest dog would run out of the yard into the street and other peoples houses. He doesn't go in the front yard often, but as time went on he would get further away. One day he ran out in front of a car. Thankfully the car did not hit him, but after that we put the collar on him and it worked after two times. Now he'll respond to just the beep. It was a last resort though.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
That is a good price. I have paid that much and more with Fiona. Will he start off with a prong collar first? That would be my suggestion. Also put another collar on behind the prong so it sits up near his ears. I would yank on Fiona and get nothing. Collar too low.

Btw, sarge is a cutie. I just want to hug him.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I personally would not train my dog with a shock collar. I have used a shock collar, but only after everything else failed. My oldest dog would run out of the yard into the street and other peoples houses. He doesn't go in the front yard often, but as time went on he would get further away. One day he ran out in front of a car. Thankfully the car did not hit him, but after that we put the collar on him and it worked after two times. Now he'll respond to just the beep. It was a last resort though.
You just hit the nail on the head. He will not stay in the yard. A lot of older people walk around the neighborhood. Just the other day, he jumped up on a 70 yr old woman? Just wanting to play, but have you ever felt their nails?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts