German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 12 week old puppy named Sascha and my 4 year old twins are very excited to help take care of her. When it comes to training though, they are hesitant to let Sascha take the treat from their hands. So they drop it or withhold it, and totally confuse the puppy. And their confidence is gone. Does anyone have any ideas for something they can use to give her the treat without fearing those puppy teeth? I want to encourage them and help them feel more confident with her.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
This will probably require a little training with the puppy from you, and practice for your twins. My approach has always been to teach the puppy that biting won't get him a treat by holding the treat in a closed fist, if he bites he doesn't get it, but if he licks or just pushes his muzzle at your fist you open it and let him get the treat.

Teach the kids also to hold treats for the puppy in a fist, and only open their hand, palm up of course, if the puppy isn't biting. It takes a little practice, but it shouldn't take long to teach the puppy to take treats without biting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts