German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did some searching already on the forum for situations similar to mine and found some great advice but figured it wouldn’t hurt to post any ways. :)

I recently picked up a WGWL from the Vom Anfang’s I litter (Djali vom Anfang/Ender vom Hanrahaus). The breeder did a wonderful job helping me select a puppy. I ended up with a little male pup that always seemed to be running around with a toy in his mouth and always trying to play with his siblings, especially his sister who showed an even higher drive.

Fast forward two weeks and he seems to be adjusting well. He has laser focus for food (or as much as an almost 10 week old puppy can) and caught on to following lures. He doesn’t seems to be scared of much and if he is unsure he’ll recover quickly and investigate whatever strange thing surprised him. He also loves to chase the flirt pole/other toys and will play a short game of tug. Little bugger seems to have a good grip when playing tug too.

Though, I felt like this is the point where I seem to hit a bit of a bump in the road? He’ll play the short game of tug and I’ve been letting him win when he has a good grip. However, immediately after this he tends to wander off and just chew on the toy. I do try to make myself exciting as I can and he’ll even chase me sometimes, but tends to leave the toy behind and won’t engage in a game of tug on his own. He also seems to have lost some of that “spark” he had while still with the breeder. Anybody go through anything similar? I realize he’s still very young, but I want to set him and myself up for success for our future endeavors. I’m hoping to get into Mondioring and in a few weeks or so will be attending a club practice and watching a trial at the end of May, so I’m sure I’ll learn lots there, but I still am interested in other people’s experiences?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
NO matter hat, you're not as exciting or stimulating as his littermates.
Totally normal, don't sweat it.

Just let him be a 10 week old puppy while you experience things together, bonding far more important right now.

·
Registered
178 Posts
What WNGD says. When my pup was young, Oskar was the same. Would sit on the porch and watch me walk away, I'd act all excited trying to get him to come to me, he'd just look at me. He did like to chase the flirt stick. Wasn't interested in tennis balls AT ALL. Did have some favorite toys, and would play some tug of war. He loved playing with the other dogs I have, if they went with me, he'd follow. Fast forward to today, he's 5.5 months old, follows me everywhere. If all the dogs are in the house, and I get up, he's up, wanting to go with me. Other dogs can be outside with me, they'll wander off, but Oskar stays with me. If Oskar, and his buddy my BC, are outside, Oskar will come to the glass doors in the back of the house, sit where I can see him, because he wants me to be outside to play with him. He LOVES tennis balls now, he loves to retrieve anything, where when he was real young, he wasn't excited about retrieving anything at all. Advice I received from forum members was, just let him be a pup, play with him, engage him, and everything will fall into line.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NO matter hat, you're not as exciting or stimulating as his littermates.
Totally normal, don't sweat it.

Just let him be a 10 week old puppy while you experience things together, bonding far more important right now.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What WNGD says. When my pup was young, Oskar was the same. Would sit on the porch and watch me walk away, I'd act all excited trying to get him to come to me, he'd just look at me. He did like to chase the flirt stick. Wasn't interested in tennis balls AT ALL. Did have some favorite toys, and would play some tug of war. He loved playing with the other dogs I have, if they went with me, he'd follow. Fast forward to today, he's 5.5 months old, follows me everywhere. If all the dogs are in the house, and I get up, he's up, wanting to go with me. Other dogs can be outside with me, they'll wander off, but Oskar stays with me. If Oskar, and his buddy my BC, are outside, Oskar will come to the glass doors in the back of the house, sit where I can see him, because he wants me to be outside to play with him. He LOVES tennis balls now, he loves to retrieve anything, where when he was real young, he wasn't excited about retrieving anything at all. Advice I received from forum members was, just let him be a pup, play with him, engage him, and everything will fall into line.
He's the first pup I've gotten from a breeder with the intention of doing Mondioring and while I know he has the potential I was worried that I would do something myself that would be detrimental to the work I want to do with Iz. I suppose I just want to do right him and set him up for success so he can meet his full potential. It eases the worry just a bit that I wasn't the only one to worry about these things. ;_; I'll continue to engage with him as I have been and taking one day at a time.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Young puppies tend to have more food drive than prey unless they either have low food drive or bring a high level of prey drive. I would keep the tug sessions short and end with him wanting to keep going. You want to stop while he’s going up in enjoyment instead of when he’s coming down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts