German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I am a new member with a new puppy.
Kira is 11 weeks old and apart from a little nipping is great with myself and family.
She is however very nervous when outside and hears other dogs barking or cars passing.
Is this normal for her age or should I be concerned.
Thank you all in advance and the site is great .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Im no expert by any means but think it seems pretty normal being that she is still a baby and the outside world I would imagine is so big and unfamiliar to her. I'm sure over time she will become more accustomed and once socialized more as she gets older with different people, places, and things they wont all seem so scary. Congrats on your new pup and welcome! :)

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
A puppy should not be very nervous over anything at that age. If anything, they should want to conquer the world.

Where did you get her from and at what age? What kind of socialization has she had before you got her? How were the parents if you got to meet them?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Puppy timidity

My GSD was also very scared of everything. He would bark or cower from tree stumps, potted plants and even a balloon. He was my first dog, I had no idea if this was normal or not. I took him to the local dog park and he became much more comfortable with everything. He is now 7 yrs old and is a fabulous dog.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Keep taking your puppy for brisk walks and don't allow her time to get scared. I know she is young and you can't go far but start now and keep her focused on you . I did this with my daughters puppy and in about 2-3 weeks she didn't care about garbage trucks or concrete workers at all.

·
Registered
66 Posts
A puppy should not be very nervous over anything at that age. If anything, they should want to conquer the world.

Where did you get her from and at what age? What kind of socialization has she had before you got her? How were the parents if you got to meet them?
I know this is a popular thing to say but honestly, it is incredibly rare to have a puppy that isn't scared of 'anything'. Nearly all pups will have things that make them jump or start.

I remember having a pup years ago that was incredibly bold but one night I took him out to potty at night. The wind was high and it had blown a metal dustbin just outside of the door, which was rolling around making a loud clanking noise. No way on earth would he walk out past it that night, not for anything in the world, he was terrified of it.

Dogs are living beings, not robots and in my experience all will react to something fearfully at any age, some more things than others obviously.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone I am a new member with a new puppy.
Kira is 11 weeks old and apart from a little nipping is great with myself and family.
She is however very nervous when outside and hears other dogs barking or cars passing.
Is this normal for her age or should I be concerned.
Thank you all in advance and the site is great .

Normal behaviour! Keep walking her and ignore her when she becomes afraid - when she sees that you are not reacting to other dogs barking/cars etc it will teach her there is nothing to be afraid of and not to react. Do not comfort or reward her with treats because the dog will see this as you telling her that she was right to be afraid.

My puppy was the same for a few weeks at this age - i just carried on walking and ignored him when he became startled - they see their ' leader' is not afraid and confident and they become confident themselves.

Do not comfort or reward!!!!!! Good luck.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I posted something similar recently. My pup is 11 weeks too and was also nervous of outside. We actually live on one of the busiest roads in the city, right near a hospital so we get sirens day and night and constant, heavy traffic.

Before she had her injections I carried her about a few times, which helped alot. Now she walks and is always nervous when we first leave the house, especially if it's rush hour. But once we get going she settles more, although I'd still say she is nervous. We haven't been on lots of walks however. But I find that if I say "comon then" excitedly when she seems nervous, she wags her tail and follows next to me.

I'm sure that with twice daily walks she will overcome it. I've just booked puppy classes as she is fearful of dogs. I don't think she is ever going to be a "people" dog. No matter how many people she meets and how excited they are to see her, she's never very interested in them. It's like, "meh, human. Boring."

·
Registered
337 Posts
The world is a big scary place for a little puppy. I would not stress over the shyness at all. Instead, work on making it the most positive place ever by taking small steps. Before you know it, you'll have a crazy teenage puppy who thinks they know and can handle everything! :crazy:

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
This type of behavior is normal for a puppy? We're talking about an 11 week old puppy... everything should be fun and an adventure to them.

What is going on with this breed where this type of shy and fearful behavior is now not only acceptable, but normal?! :help:

·
Registered
224 Posts
This type of behavior is normal for a puppy? We're talking about an 11 week old puppy... everything should be fun and an adventure to them.

What is going on with this breed where this type of shy and fearful behavior is now not only acceptable, but normal?! :help:
I'm interested in replies to this. Indeed all the advice I've received is that it is completely right that my puppy should be reserved and a little held back. Which contradicts what I thought I knew about puppies, ie the more outgoing they are - the more balanced they become as adults. This is my first GSD and a new experience, so I just wondered how other people's dogs were as puppies and how they turned out as adults.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts

I think people are just being supportive of the OP, not making a statement about the breed. A lot of people have seen that behavior and they are helping the OP work through it. Once you have a puppy that is shy you have to accept it and try to help the pup overcome it. You don't have to accept that this is considered 'normal', especially for GSDs. My puppy started out shy but now she is more bold but still reserved because of a LOT of socialization and getting out and doing things. As a GSD owner, I was disappointed in her shy nature but I accepted her as she was and helped her to work through it. I don't consider it 'normal' for the breed but it is very common. I also don't consider DA or HA normal but they are also common.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
You may want to go to this section to see more people with puppies and socialization.

Development & Socialization - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Welcome to the site! Make sure YOU are upbeat and happy. Pay attention so your pup isn't overwhelmed but also don't completely avoid challenging your new pup with new sites/sounds/situations.

I do a TON of offleash hiking at this age to expose them to alot of safe new outdoor sights and sounds and smells. Gives them exercise and confidence as well as teaching them to stay with me cause I'm moving on!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I wish I had a place like that near me, I live in a city. Looks so much fun! (I've subscribed to you because your dogs are too cute) :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts