German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have 2 GSD, one is 11 mo.'s Harley & 15 weeks Sheba. Harley is a mommy's boy, never let me out of his sight, & lives to play. Sheba is attached to Harley, had her for 2 weeks now. We try to play with her but I don't think she knows how to play with people, not even with toys, but she'll play with Harley. I'm not happy with the breeder, Sheba was way under weight so with supplements & vitamins she's doing better, but still have away to go. We think she may have been miss-treated, & doesn't trust us yet. This Sat. is her 1st Vet. visit. I just wanted to tell you all alittle about my babies, for you'll see me around this forum a lot, Angelidiluce

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
If I were you, I would separate them and allowed them only limited time together. She has clearly bonded with him instead of with you and prefers him to you. You DON'T want this. She should see you as more important than Harley.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think they should be seperated. i don't know how much time they should be together. i would only let them be together once or twice a day for a short period of time maybe once a day. i would like to know what the other posters think of this?? between seperation and training i think she should change. good luck.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I agree with the separating of them. We have a 6 month old and just picked up our 2 month old on Saturday. They do play a lot together inside and outside but they also get plenty of time separted from each other and get their individual time with us. I don't want Chevy (6 months) to feel left out and we have our play time and training time with him. And Shya (2 months) gets her individual time to play and bond with us and work on some training as well (already knows sit!). Good luck!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Hello Angelidiluce,
aboard.

Well, I can see where you might be unhappy with the breeder. It does not sound as though Sheba got a very good start (glad that she is with you).

She obviously has bonded with Harley. I agree with everyone else in that they should be separated and their play time should be limited at least until you see a change in her attitude towards you.

Has either of them had any formal training? You might consider enrolling them into a basic training class.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your helpful hints, I'm thinking the separation between the two will be good for all. Harley has had profess. training, & we continue daily, as far as Sheba we're working on potty now, but she will be enrolled as soon as she get alittle older. The only problem I have is I work & they are outside, when I get home they come in & we walk every night, so the only time I can separate them is in the evening & our walk time, (Harley is not able to walk right now he's came down with Pano so I have stop all walks with him) Sheba Is very excited to see me when I come home, she'll cry & jump til I stop & give her attention then she back to following Harley, so I don't think it will take much time, just worried about her play habits. Again thanks for the hints. Angelidiluce

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
I wouild let them play. After all, the dogs enjoy it and I see no harm in doing that.

Based on your last few comments, it sounds like Sheba may be bonding with you a bt more then you think.

If you have the time, I would also recommend spending some time with Sheba alone, walks, catch, a car ride, whatever works.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
I wouild let them play. After all, the dogs enjoy it and I see no harm in doing that.

Based on your last few comments, it sounds like Sheba may be bonding with you a bt more then you think.

If you have the time, I would also recommend spending some time with Sheba alone, walks, catch, a car ride, whatever works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts