German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What supplies do you recommend getting in preparation of training a puppy in Schutzhund? What toys do you recommend for playing with the puppy and building drive/starting the foundation for bitework? Recommendations for puppy supplies in general are appreciated as well :).

My list so far is in the pics attached. The crate size I have listed is for a small 8 wk old puppy btw.

·
Registered
31,374 Posts
Skip Leesburg. Over priced. And no need to buy that stuff right now anyways.

Lots of food for training. Buy a cheap collar that they just outgrow. Soft toys to chomp on. Don't spend a lot on those either. They just destroy them. Get a clicker. Get a bowl to teach them perchwork for rear end awareness.

Chews to keep them busy. Antlers. Bully sticks. Raw meaty bones.

Either find a cheap used varikennel that's a smaller size or buy the right size for an adult if you buy new.

Don't spend money right now on things they don't use until they are adults.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions!

Any recommendations on a bowl for perch work? I can never find a good one. Would love a good link to one! And I was planning on looking for a used crate :). I've already got a million clickers haha

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,374 Posts
I'll send you a list this weekend. Have your vet put the microchip in. It does not cost less. And make sure it can be read by any scanner. I have home again chips.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I would go with the regular Fromm LBP Gold rather than the grain-free. It's cheaper, comes in a bigger size bag and actually has a better ingredient makeup compared to the Heartland Gold grain-free. Unless there is a reason to feed grain-free, i.e. allergy/sensitivity to grain, there is no reason to feed a grain-free food.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll send you a list this weekend. Have your vet put the microchip in. It does not cost less. And make sure it can be read by any scanner. I have home again chips.
Our shelter also uses Home Again chips. Just out of curiosity, why specifically do you recommend having the vet do it? And thank you!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would go with the regular Fromm LBP Gold rather than the grain-free. It's cheaper, comes in a bigger size bag and actually has a better ingredient makeup compared to the Heartland Gold grain-free. Unless there is a reason to feed grain-free, i.e. allergy/sensitivity to grain, there is no reason to feed a grain-free food.
I've done the research and I will still always feed grain-free. That's just my personal choice.

·
Registered
31,374 Posts
Our shelter also uses Home Again chips. Just out of curiosity, why specifically do you recommend having the vet do it? And thank you!

Because you have to register the chip anyways so it doesn't cost any less for the vet to do it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions!

Any recommendations on a bowl for perch work? I can never find a good one. Would love a good link to one! And I was planning on looking for a used crate :). I've already got a million clickers haha

Tractor Supplies or any store that sells things for livestock will have black rubber bowls of various sizes. They are sturdy and will last forever.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/fortex-4-qt-rubber-feeder-pan

Stuffable toys like Kongs, Toppl, ect.. Good for stuffing with wet food then you can freeze and it will keep a pup busy. I tend to use food for training, but when I can't the pup still has to work for it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tractor Supplies or any store that sells things for livestock will have black rubber bowls of various sizes. They are sturdy and will last forever.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/fortex-4-qt-rubber-feeder-pan

Stuffable toys like Kongs, Toppl, ect.. Good for stuffing with wet food then you can freeze and it will keep a pup busy. I tend to use food for training, but when I can't the pup still has to work for it.
Thank you so much for the link!

·
Registered
31,374 Posts
I like gappay balls and tugs. chuck it balls with the strap. That feeder pan from TSC is exactly what I use. I have the smallest one and the next size up. I like the Skineez toys for puppys.

I would not buy to many things until you get started training. Did you contact a club yet? I would do that and find one you like. I think there are 3 in your area. Just go visit and see what vibes you get.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like gappay balls and tugs. chuck it balls with the strap. That feeder pan from TSC is exactly what I use. I have the smallest one and the next size up. I like the Skineez toys for puppys.

I would not buy to many things until you get started training. Did you contact a club yet? I would do that and find one you like. I think there are 3 in your area. Just go visit and see what vibes you get.
I've visited a couple clubs in the area and have found one that I really liked and am planning on taking the pup to :). Thanks for toy suggestions!

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Favorites-The suede leather tugs- they are special- (Luna’s favorite). Chuck it balls(max’s Favorite ). Hedgehog toys. I use to tie a rope around the skineez toys was almost like a flirt pole I had to make sure it did not resemble our chihuahua. Himalayan Chews. A good nail dremel and or nail clipper it is good idea to get puppy used of nail trims/dremel early- saves headaches and money. A good garbage can worth every penny. Sometimes smart pak has sales on really nice puppy collars that lasted awhile if sized right. https://www.simplehuman.com/plastic-semi-round-step-can#finish/mocha-plastic

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Favorites-The suede leather tugs- they are special- (Luna’s favorite). Chuck it balls(max’s Favorite ). Hedgehog toys. I use to tie a rope around the skineez toys was almost like a flirt pole I had to make sure it did not resemble our chihuahua. Himalayan Chews. A good nail dremel and or nail clipper it is good idea to get puppy used of nail trims/dremel early- saves headaches and money. A good garbage can worth every penny. Sometimes smart pak has sales on really nice puppy collars that lasted awhile if sized right. https://www.simplehuman.com/plastic-semi-round-step-can#finish/mocha-plastic
Thank you for all the suggestions! I actually asked my fiance for a nail dremel for Christmas so I've already got that ready to start getting the pup used to! I'm also planning on bathing her at work and getting her used to our high velocity air dryer, since Kody would straight up attack me every time I turned that thing on

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
You should definitely not try microchipping yourself! First, it can be painful because it's a big needle, and you don't want your inexperience to make it more painful than necessary. Second, the chips can pop right back out (and you might not even notice), if done incorrectly. Our rescue chips dozens of dogs and buys chips in bulk to hand them off to the vet to insert because we don't want to screw them up!

FWIW, I would recommend that you price-check with your local vet clinic before booking the appointment because I've learned recently that some local vets are charging about $100 to chip a dog -- which is ridiculous. They're paying $10-$25 for the chip, so the rest is just profit. Most vets charge a reasonable insertion fee over the cost of the chip, so it's usually well under $50 (including activation -- and check that, as some clinics are putting in chips that require you to pay extra to activate them when you go online to register them).

If you find your local vets are on the "expensive" side for this service, either use the shelter's chipping program, or go to a vaccine clinic in a Petco/PetSmart/Tractor Supply store where a vet will do it very reasonably. This one charges $19 at their in-store clinics, staffed by licensed veterinarians:

https://www.vetcoclinics.com/services-and-clinics/microchips/

Something like half or more of microchips never get registered, and even more aren't updated with valid contact info, so please make sure you don't forget that step, if the vet or shelter doesn't do it for you!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You should definitely not try microchipping yourself! First, it can be painful because it's a big needle, and you don't want your inexperience to make it more painful than necessary. Second, the chips can pop right back out (and you might not even notice), if done incorrectly. Our rescue chips dozens of dogs and buys chips in bulk to hand them off to the vet to insert because we don't want to screw them up!

FWIW, I would recommend that you price-check with your local vet clinic before booking the appointment because I've learned recently that some local vets are charging about $100 to chip a dog -- which is ridiculous. They're paying $10-$25 for the chip, so the rest is just profit. Most vets charge a reasonable insertion fee over the cost of the chip, so it's usually well under $50 (including activation -- and check that, as some clinics are putting in chips that require you to pay extra to activate them when you go online to register them).

If you find your local vets are on the "expensive" side for this service, either use the shelter's chipping program, or go to a vaccine clinic in a Petco/PetSmart/Tractor Supply store where a vet will do it very reasonably. This one charges $19 at their in-store clinics, staffed by licensed veterinarians:

https://www.vetcoclinics.com/services-and-clinics/microchips/

Something like half or more of microchips never get registered, and even more aren't updated with valid contact info, so please make sure you don't forget that step, if the vet or shelter doesn't do it for you!
When did I ever say that i was planning on microchipping myself?? I was originally planning on having my local shelter do it since I know that they only charge $25. That's crazy that some vets charge that much!

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
When did I ever say that i was planning on microchipping myself??

Your supply list had the cost of a chip from a pet supply place as one of your options, so I inferred you were considering buying it from a supply store to DIY as some people do for vaccines. I'm glad that's not what you intended.

By the way, in South Texas, be sure you've got flea and heartworm prevention covered in that first vet appointment too. Different products start at different ages, but I probably wouldn't start it any later than 12-weeks in a heavy-HW area like this. You might also need a tick product, depending on whether they're bad locally.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your supply list had the cost of a chip from a pet supply place as one of your options, so I inferred you were considering buying it from a supply store to DIY as some people do for vaccines. I'm glad that's not what you intended.
Ohhhh lol, no, that is a pet store that I have heard does microchipping for (I think) about $17. It's just a pet store, they dont sell vaccines or anything like that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts