German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that GSD’s are prone to hip dysplasia. I would love to start my pup on supplements as early as possible but I am not sure if that does more harm than good. I’m thinking about it as a vitamin, we take them prophylactics because they are good for our bodies, so will a hip and joint supplement do the same for my pup. If not starting them now when should they be started ? My pup is 3 months old & is already 35lbs lol he is a big boy so I know his hips will eventually bother him.
Also any recommendations on brands would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you are feeding him with Kibble then you don't need to worry, Kibble contains protein, fat, carbohydrate calcium, phosphors, vitamins & etc in a right proportion. if you add supplements to that then the proportion will collapse. which means you are over dose him with the supplements.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
His size is not a determining factor of whether he will have hip problems. Genetics, nutrition, proper exercise on appropriate surfaces, conformation and other variables play a role.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
WELCOME Kyro!

2 or 3 raw chicken feet a couple of times per week are a better source of naturally occurring glucosamine and chondroitin than a supplement. And they are great chewing for their teeth!

If the dog has never had one and he/she is a gulper, you can cut them up with kitchen shears, or teach them how to eat it by holding the foot with a paper towel (for slippage) and let them gnaw on it.

You can purchase chicken feet at an Asian market or frozen from several raw food companies.

NEM = Natural Eggshell Membrane is another source. Make sure you choose a high quality product.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts