German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my puppy is still having issues with his crate. Posted here a while ago and still having the same issues. He will sleep in it and go in willingly but anytime he is left alone he goes bananas. He always goes to the bathroom in it and then once it’s all over his paws he tries to break out. He’s gotten a lot bigger so his success rate is getting to be quite high and he gets the house all messy once he gets out. I have bought him the kong treats with the stuff inside but if he knows we are leaving he shows no interest. The vet mentioned medication but she said that won’t really fix the issue. I️ have read a bunch online but nothing seems to be working. It doesn’t matter if I’m gone five minutes or a few hours he always has accidents and I️ always take him out right before. I don’t trust him enough to leave him out, he escaped my buddies cage when we took him there and he ripped down all his blinds. I am in the pittsburgh area if anyone knows of any training facilities he can go to.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Is it possible to have him in a puppy safe room rather than a kennel? It isn't ideal, and he will likely still damage some things (like I've heard of dogs eating drywall) but at least it would be contained instead of in the whole house. It may be that he can never be good in a crate, and he will likely hurt himself trying to escape.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had a puppy who would do much the same things. We couldn't trust him out of the crate because he ate a 2 ft by 2 ft section of drywall, screws, bulbs from small lights like christmas lights, plastic bags, the couch, the list goes on. But one day we decided to just leave him out and never crate him at night or anything. In his case it worked out he just hated the crate. I mean a holy terror of a dog turned into a manageable guy afterward. But I'm not saying to try the same thing. Have you tried crate games and covering the crate? Do you feed him in it? My current puppy puts up a bit of complaining when she knows that I have left the room (others can still be in there) but if I wasn't the one to put her away or if I stay in the room she is quiet.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Mei would whimper and wine, that's about it all night in the kennel. We covered it with a sheet and sometimes played sleepy music for her and it seemed to have helped a ton. She doesn't make a peep at night now and enjoys her private time in it during the day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, I recently just got my new puppy exactly a week ago. Before her 4th day with me she would cry and whimper all day and night while she was in her crate. I just ignored her, and set times for when I would take her out to poop. I tried putting food and a stuffed kong in there but she totally ignored it and kept barking and whining in her crate. That 5th day, she'd only whine for a little bit and stop. Now she whines once or twice and stops.

She is good on her potty training, but with your pup I would suggest for you to feed him in his crate. By doing so you'll make him like his crate more and make him more reluctant to soil is crate which will be the place he eats now.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
857 Posts
How big is the crate? if it is significantly bigger than the dog, then it won't work. They tend to not like sitting in their own pee or poo, so you want to get a crate that barely lets them move around. If the dog can fit in one little corner, the crate is too big then. Is it housetrained otherwise (without the crate)? If it isn't, then maybe get it housetrained first then crate trained. I'm separating the two because housetraining in the crate isn't working.

·
Registered
31,906 Posts
I think you have to go back to square 1 and get on a schedule with the pup. How old is it? Don't give it anything to eat in its crate and shut off the water after a certain point. If the dog is full of water and food, it will be harder to not eliminate in the crate.

If he is crated while you work, for extended hours, then you need to figure out how to limit time in the crate when you are not working. maybe at night keep him in your bedroom. Depending on age, you can maybe give one meal per day and let him out before bed, and after you get up in the morning, instead of feeding him in the morning give him a drink of water, but feed him in the evening and maybe at night instead of in the morning before work.

If you can do a kennel, maybe in your garage with a doggy door to an outdoor kennel, then you can teach him to eliminate outside and he will have a cleaner and much smaller area inside. So that when you get home you have a dog that is not covered with yuck and can eat both in the morning and evening.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello thanks for all the replies. I used to feed him in his crate and it was also blocked off so he had enough room to spin around. He is about 7 months now. I took the divider out because he kept knocking it off and the edges were sharp where it hooked on the cage. It didn’t matter how much space he had he would still do his number. Right now I am unemployed so I’m sure it doesn’t help he’s not used to being alone very much. I have a gate that we would block him off in th kitchen but he kept figuring out how to knock it over. I swear this dog is macgiver or something. I used to keep his cage covered but he kept getting the blanket in the cage with him and then we’d have to wash that too.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Try an airline crate, the heavy plastic one. More confined, and secure. Ozzy hated the wire cage I mean hated it. He even got out once and since then he’s been in the other crate it’s been awesome and he loves it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello my puppy is still having issues with his crate. Posted here a while ago and still having the same issues. He will sleep in it and go in willingly but anytime he is left alone he goes bananas. He always goes to the bathroom in it and then once it’s all over his paws he tries to break out. He’s gotten a lot bigger so his success rate is getting to be quite high and he gets the house all messy once he gets out. I have bought him the kong treats with the stuff inside but if he knows we are leaving he shows no interest. The vet mentioned medication but she said that won’t really fix the issue. I️ have read a bunch online but nothing seems to be working. It doesn’t matter if I’m gone five minutes or a few hours he always has accidents and I️ always take him out right before. I don’t trust him enough to leave him out, he escaped my buddies cage when we took him there and he ripped down all his blinds. I am in the pittsburgh area if anyone knows of any training facilities he can go to.

I'm in Pittsburgh too, and so is wolfstraum (I don't know if it's possible to tag people in these messages), she might be able to help. The airline crate sounds like it might be worth a shot, if it doesn't help, clean it up and return it :smile2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts