German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup steals stuff like socks and shoes and t shirts, anything that is mine and runs away. When we play with a ball I throw it she runs to get it and doesnt bring it back. I hear you have to teach them that it's mine but she knows I will take it away from her so she naturally seems to try and steal my things.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
work on the trade up game. teach her that giving things to you is good.
also, tethering can help decrease the ability to steal things and run away. management to lower the chances of grabbing items that the pup shouldn't have.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
My boy is a thief too. Anything he sees me hold regularly he thinks is high value and tries to snitch.

The trade game is awesome.

Except when you have a pup like mine. I was eating popcorn while watching a movie and not sharing. The little bugger snuck into the bedroom, pulled my cell phone off the charger and tried to trade me my own phone for some popcorn. SMH.

I play with multiple identical toys outside to avoid those annoying games of come and get it.

·
Super Moderator
6,300 Posts
My boy is a thief too. Anything he sees me hold regularly he thinks is high value and tries to snitch.

The trade game is awesome.

Except when you have a pup like mine. I was eating popcorn while watching a movie and not sharing. The little bugger snuck into the bedroom, pulled my cell phone off the charger and tried to trade me my own phone for some popcorn. SMH.

I play with multiple identical toys outside to avoid those annoying games of come and get it.
That is hilarious!Your dog is a genius:)

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
I had an Italian Greyhound dig around in my closet and come out with a sandal, so she could trade for a treat. Dogs do what works!

·
Banned
850 Posts
Most of these "solutions" involve you bribing them to get your things back. There has to be a way to teach them to just not steal your stuff. I think it might have to do with veryyy early behavior on the owners behalf. Not puppy-proofing the room or area the puppy stays in on the first day will have the owner constantly taking things away from the puppy, in turn teaching the puppy to run away from the owner because anything I put in my mouth the owner will take away.
This is the importance of puppy proofing the dogs area. Just put things in there that you're comfortable with the pup playing with insie the ex-pen or crate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts