German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like she is walking on ice...actually she does better on ice!

What can I use to give her some better traction? I have non-slip pads on the stairs but cant do that all over the house?

I keep her on the area rug as much as possible but that’s a small area...help!

·
Super Moderator
7,102 Posts
You could temporarily get some inexpensive runners until she gets the hang of navigating the slippery floor.

·
Registered
100 Posts
We have all hardwood on the main level and the same issue with slipping and sliding around. I got a bunch of runners to make a pathway from one side of the house to the other but my puppy, who has hardly had any inside accidents at all, decided the runners were great to pee on!
So we rolled them up and put them away. She's getting better on the hardwood, it's just taken some time for her to get used to it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My dog when he was young slipped like crazy on the laminated floor in the kitchen and because he got anxious and stressed and their soles are sensitive and hot
he slipped even more! I laid out runners and carpets and that solved the problem. He would jump on them like they were lily pads in a crocodile infested pond.As he got older and focused on coming to me(treats helped) he forgot about it. Now metal bleachers thats a whole nother thing....had a dog who was afraid of no one or no thing. Ambulance could suddenly blast its horn next to us on a quiet walk at 5 in the morning ,gun shots ect no problem. He would do anything to get to me regardless of the obstacle but god he hated the sounds of his nails on metal bleachers it totally freaked him out...he would figure out a way to get to me just not straight going up them...haha! Oh well I guess just like humans we all have our things tht freak us out. let us know how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
5,128 Posts
Runners and safe places to go. My big-boy actually enjoyed sliding and I caught him doing it on purpose. But then again the bedrooms were carpeted so he had places to go when he didn't want to deal with sliding.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Maybe mine aren't as slippery? She does fine when she's walking on them now. She would run from room to room and that's when she would slide everywhere. Within a few days, she figured out that as much as she would like to run to the other room, it's better just walk. She doesn't slip at all when she walks. She just can't run on them which is okay with me for now.

I do plan on putting the runners back out after I'm sure she's totally housebroken as the padding is just nice to have underfoot. @Magwart Thanks for posting those toe grips. I'm going to try those on my other dog, he's got knee issues so they would really help him.

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
We have permanent runways on the wooden floors. Strategically placed so the dogs make it around corners. They are life savers. Make sure they are rubber backed

·
Registered
57 Posts
There use to be a product out there, think it was called, "Tacky Paw". Show people use to use it, as some shows were indoors on slippery polished concrete. Don't know if it's still out there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all for the excellent advice! we have placed some mats in a few areas of the kitchen and living/dining room to help with traction. The area rugs help a lot as well! Will look into the other options as well like tacky paw.

Luckily we put the non-slip pads on the steps for our older Chihuahua before Vienna arrived. These were a life saver as she was learning to navigate the stairs!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts