German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took our 7 month old male GSD to get neutered today. He weighed in at 82.2lbs and his shoulder height is 25in roughly according to the vet. I know this is oversized for his age and he doesn’t look overweight (I can see his last two ribs and he has a good tuck) but is he? I know vets tend to not want to tell you if your pet is a bit overweight. He is fed 2x a day right now and gets tons of daily activity. Is there anything I should be concerned about outside of his hips with being oversized? And if this is roughly about 80% of adult size, then he’s going to be about 30in and 100ish lbs at full growth?
I’m sure these are similar questions lots of puppy owners have asked before so I apologize for any repetition, I’m having a hard time navigating search on the forums w/my iPhone so thanks in advance ?
I included a photo just cause I think he’s so handsome ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
He sure is handsome!!! It is hard to tell without pics from the side and top, and maybe a motion video. 82 is sure hefty for 7 months and he doesnt sound overly tall for his age, but he could have heavier muscle and bone structure, etc. Pics will tell so much more.

For reference my dog, who is bigger than he was expected to be based on sire/dam/prior litters (somebody hogged the back teet lol) was about that weight at that age (maybe 2lbs lighter) but he was also tall and lanky.

At 15 months he is just over 27" at withers and about 92 lbs. In good trim.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ll grab some pics when he gets home today and remeasure his shoulders to be sure. He was being a big baby at the vet because he sure is not a fan of that place, lol.
He does have some pretty solid bones. We were joking they were more like tree trunks but we only have our very breed standard sized golden retriever female to compare to soooo.....?
And yeah, magic school bus allllll the time here! Haha!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Some GSDs are smaller or bigger than others, off the standards. I know 1 GSD who was only 7 months at the time, weighed 80ish pounds like yours, while mine was only 65lb at the time. So long as his not overweight, he'll be fine.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Some dogs mature earlier than others and are just about done growing at your pup's age while others take quite a bit longer. Large adult size does not contribute to HD or any other health problem based on size alone although early neutering can have a negative impact on joints, contribute to oversize, poor body composition and distribution of weight among other issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts