German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
6 month old Brutus gets Nutra lamb and rice dry kibble for large puppies. we had a friend watch him and Wheaten Terrier Saturday night. They gave the dogs the kibble they feed their dogs and not ours. The year old terrier hasn't had a problem. the last 2 nights were BAD! Sunday night he broke threw the baby gate and crapped on the kitchen lin floor. Dang dog is smart enough to know that would be better then the carpet. :eek: Last night after going out twice he crapped in his crate. Poor guy is hurting something terrible.

he acts normal, just has a bad case of diarrhea. We put some regular yogurt in his food to help but he still has issues. obviously!

how long will this run its course?

any suggestions? of course we will be talking to the dog sitter before next time.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
What do they feed? Any food with recent recall problems?

If everything else is normal with him I would fast him and then feed a bland diet of rice and boiled chicken until poops are firm for a couple days then transition his kibble back in.

Instead of yogurt try pure pumpkin to firm up stools.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Never feed an adult dog when they have diarrhea as it will make things worse. Fast your dog for at least 12 hours past the last episode of diarrhea and then feed a bland diet of well cooked chicken or burger and rice for several days. If things are firmed up nicely, then start adding his kibble. If he doesn't start to firm up in 24 hours, I would be on the phone to the vet.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
personally i would be pretty ticked. I have no tricks for you to try. Elaine and Sagelfn said the only ones i know of. Hope your pup gets to feeling better.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
What others have said about bland diet, and make sure to watch and see that he's drinking enough water. The diarrhea can lead to dehydration if it goes on too long or if it's severe.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I have no advice for you, other than make sure he doesn't get dehydrated, but I would be FURIOUS if I trusted someone with my dog, and they went ahead and gave him the wrong food intentionally and this was the result.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's been drinking lots of water. Nothing new there. I will do the suggestions you listed.

Why do you think the 2 dogs had such a different reaction? The Wheaten Terrier is a year old while Brutus is 6.5 months.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is kinda funny that the recommendation is hamburger and rice. Cause that's exactly what I'm eating right now! I'm sure he will have no problem eating my dinner. Lol

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
the pup is still adjusting to different things. They're like kids. You can only feed certain foods before introducing a new one and watching for a reaction. Since it sounds to me like they just fed him what was convienant instead of what he was used to that would explain the reaction. The terrier is an older dog and has a stronger stomach tolerance for new things. Plus with some dogs, one dramatic change like that can have a HUGE impact on their system while another dog is just fine with it. Its like some dogs can get a taste of human food just once and become a picky eater because our stuff tastes and smells better while other dogs can be given human food a few times a week and then be denied the goods and still hoover their own food no picky eating involved. I'm allergic to pineapple so cant have it otherwise i would have a reaction. My husband LOVES pineapple and could eat it all day if i'd allow it in the house. everyone is different.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KZoppa, now you got me hungry for pineapple!! I really hope you are right. I'd hate to see him suffer whenever he ate something different.

I love your signature!! That would be an awesome bumper sticker.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have no advice for you, other than make sure he doesn't get dehydrated, but I would be FURIOUS if I trusted someone with my dog, and they went ahead and gave him the wrong food intentionally and this was the result.
When I left my two Shepherds with a sitter they both got hit by cars and died. Thank god the food was the only thing that went wrong here. I trust NOBODY with my dogs now. Occasionally I will leave them at a licensed kennel but only for one night. I have been burned twice by the carelessness of people I thought I could trust (one, my ex fiance the second, my father). It wont happen again!
I have to live with the guilt of my poor judgment every day. . .

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
You can also try Immodium with the bland diet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
His stools are normal again. We are down to a 50/50 mix. He really likes the chicken rice. The terrier won't eat her food without some mixed into hers! Good grief!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts