German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys! I'm currently raising a rescued (at 12 weeks) 17 week old GSD mix. All is fine and dandy with him, but for one thing. I spend loads of time with him, play with him, exercise him and provide everything he needs as a pup, but most mornings I have to leave him a couple times to go upstairs and do a couple things (shower, some homework). He spends time with me while I'm making breakfast and basically everything else. But once I put him in the room to leave (never longer than 45 minutes...), he's a barking, whining mess! He will whine, circle the room, and bark the entire time I'm gone. I've even stuffed kongs for him but at best they only keep him quiet for 15 minutes. His room is full of toys that he knows how to play with, bones to chew on, his crate is left open so he could crawl inside if he'd like to, and he has a blanket on the floor he loves to lay on. There's fresh water for him and I make sure before I leave that all his needs are met. I don't draw out goodbyes, I just say 'good boy' and leave to do my business. He likes to whimper and hop up to look over the half-door as I leave. Then the real craziness begins.

So guys... any tips? Because I'm at a loss. :(

EDIT: On top of everything, sometimes he'll pee by the door despite being walked less than an hour beforehand. THAT I really need help with, as well.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I would recommend crating him, meaning locking him in his crate. That should definitely help with the urinating by the door. I could probably also recommend to work on coming and going. You need to leave your dog alone for more than just 45 minutes a day. He should be well adjusted whether you are with him or not. You could start small...meaning, lock him in the crate and leave for 5min..then 10...and so on. Don't have any type of goodbye or greeting. You leaving and coming back should be nothing unique. Work up to leaving him in there for half a day. I had to work when I brought up my pup. The dog would be in a crate all night, walk in the morning, feeding, and then back to the crate for 9 - 10 hours. Worked wonders for house breaking and he learned really quick that I just leave. If he wines and barks in the crate, leave and ignore.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would recommend crating him, meaning locking him in his crate. That should definitely help with the urinating by the door. I could probably also recommend to work on coming and going. You need to leave your dog alone for more than just 45 minutes a day. He should be well adjusted whether you are with him or not. You could start small...meaning, lock him in the crate and leave for 5min..then 10...and so on. Don't have any type of goodbye or greeting. You leaving and coming back should be nothing unique. Work up to leaving him in there for half a day. I had to work when I brought up my pup. The dog would be in a crate all night, walk in the morning, feeding, and then back to the crate for 9 - 10 hours. Worked wonders for house breaking and he learned really quick that I just leave. If he wines and barks in the crate, leave and ignore.
Honestly, I think that sort of advice isn't what I need. My pup can barely last seven hours a night without needing to go potty, and the idea of leaving the pup in the crate for 17ish hours a day sounds unnecessarily cruel, especially for such a high energy breed as the GSD. I'm all for crating, but I don't want the pup stowed away for so **** long. He needs guidance, not extreme isolation.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
If you can't have him loose when you are upstairs working, then I'd just take the crate upstair and crate him so he can see you, but still be contained so you can get some work completed.

I use alot of baby gates and crating so I can get work done when I have young pups. As long as I have way more time with them loose and do tons of exercise and socialization and planned events........... the amount of crate time is easily proportional to me.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I agree with the crating for a few minutes at a time without any warning or goodbyes- just pop him in and walk away. It's natural to let our pups train us with whines, peeing, destruction etc. Your pup is really young, the peeing bit will probably resolve itself with time- Stosh still have the occasional nervous accident at the vet's when he was 6 mos old.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Honestly, I'm not sure why you're swearing. You asked for help, and I shared my experiance. If you don't want to use it, don't. I'm sure you will get plenty of other comments that you can choose from.

Also, calling people cruel without understanding their personal circumstances is rather unwarrented. I work from home 3 days a week, so my dog would be in a crate during the day for only 2 days of the week. I don't think its cruel, as I had no other option, and when I'd come home we'd train and play untill the dog would willingly go back to the crate from being tired. As we all know, people train dogs in various ways, for some a prong is cruel, and for some not. I thought this board was for sharing tips and ideas, and not for criticizing them.

My dog is now over 2 years old and has had a full run of the house for the last year or so. She has had no issues with seperation anxiety, has never destroyed anything in the house and has not had an 'accident' since she was 10 weeks old. Now she is a happy, loving and well-adjusted dog.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with the crating my little guy is almost 4months and he has barely any accidents. It has been weeks since he had an accident in the house. He LOVES his crate! I just say kennel and he goes running for it. In the beginning I rewarded with treats and toys. I don't keep him in long only when it is necessary or at work, it is for his safety GSD get sneaky and get into all kinds of stuff. At first it was hard because he would whine and I would want to go to him, but over time he got better and now he only has little tantrums from time to time! like any baby !!! Good luck :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly, I'm not sure why you're swearing. You asked for help, and I shared my experiance. If you don't want to use it, don't. I'm sure you will get plenty of other comments that you can choose from.

Also, calling people cruel without understanding their personal circumstances is rather unwarrented. I work from home 3 days a week, so my dog would be in a crate during the day for only 2 days of the week. I don't think its cruel, as I had no other option, and when I'd come home we'd train and play untill the dog would willingly go back to the crate from being tired. As we all know, people train dogs in various ways, for some a prong is cruel, and for some not. I thought this board was for sharing tips and ideas, and not for criticizing them.

My dog is now over 2 years old and has had a full run of the house for the last year or so. She has had no issues with seperation anxiety, has never destroyed anything in the house and has not had an 'accident' since she was 10 weeks old. Now she is a happy, loving and well-adjusted dog.
I'm sorry and I didn't mean it that way. I'm just a little stressed and I mean no harm. When you can't help something that's fine. But when I do have the time to have him out and about, I personally think it WOULD be cruel if someone was home all day but just keeping the puppy in it's crate for ten hours. For you that is not the case, and that's fine. Our lives and schedules are very different.
Your puppy never had separation anxiety. However, my puppy DOES and therefore different approaches need to be thought up besides locking the puppy up for most of the day. 2-4 hours is fine if needed, and I do plan to bring the crate out and crate my pup right by me so he can see me and is less destructive and won't pee anywhere. Again, I have NO PROBLEM with crating. Just please try to see my side here. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I agree with the crating (not 10 hours),,I would try crating him in the room, leave the 1/2 door open, maybe turn on a radio or tv, for some noise while you are upstairs doing what you gotta do:)

The peeing by the door, may very well be stress, he's stressed that you left, and you know what happens to US when we get stressed:))

I'd try that first, do it (as one suggested) 5-10 minutes to start, making no big deal out of going in and coming out...I'd give him some yummy treats as he goes in,,and when he's quiet, then open the crate door to let him out,,treat for being quiet..

I would work on upping your times, (again I don't crate for 10 hours and just wouldn't)...so he can become comfortable with atleast being left in a crate for a period of time...I also would feed him his meals IN his crate, this can associate the crate with "good" things:))

·
Registered
492 Posts
I do see your side, and I apologize as well if I misunderstood. We should be discussing your dog and figuring out how to help. You are correct, my experiance probably was different as is each dog and the situation he is in. I don't think crating him where he can see you is the answer though. I do think the training has to happen with you out of sight. Probably best to work on short time intervals, where the dog can't see you. But maybe someone with a more sever case can weigh in with some advice.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Work on crating or make a confining space.

My little guy is alone 9am till 12 and then 1 to 4 most work days. He is in a confined space (kitchen area of two xpens, a crate, pup head, toys and water)

The first day...well skinning a monkey is what it sounded like.

Now he sleeps, chews his toys etc. He has a pup head for peeing if so needed, but he tends to like to hold it (he sleeps through whole night now at 10 weeks old).

When I get home at lunch and after he is wagging and we start training sessions and playing sessions. In the evenings he gets a special walk in safe areas, which he loves.

Weekends we are home most of the day and we take him places for socialization.

We crate him during dinner time, which he is now used to so we can eat without worrying about him. He lays right down. Then he comes out for family time till bedtime.

My last GSD we had someone who was usually home most days and believe it or not she had more separation anxiety as a result.

this little guy is used to the ebb and flow of the day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts