German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10wk old female puppy & 10yr old neutered male. I’ve had the pup almost 2wk. She really likes to engage my male in play. Most of it is a lot of mouthing on both sides while my male is lying down. His backend is weak so he’s not into chasing around kind of play. What I’m concerned about is she can get really fired up, barking, growling, and despite taking some hits that produce a yipe, she goes back for more with a vigor. I don’t know if this level of excitement is “good” for her. Will this produce an aggressive dog? We start puppy class on Thursday but I don’t want to wait until then to ask & find out. When she really gets excited & is relentless in her pursuit of him I crate her to bring down her level of excitement. Tonight when I picked her up to crate her she bit my face which didn’t break skin. I don’t know what the term is - displaced something or other – and this is most likely what the bite was about. But I’m worried about this franticness of play. Should I be? :help:

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Tonight when I picked her up to crate her she bit my face which didn’t break skin. I don’t know what the term is - displaced something or other – and this is most likely what the bite was about. But I’m worried about this franticness of play. Should I be? :help:
The bite was probably nothing more than the puppy being too young to quickly recognize the difference between the dog that's letting her bite and the human that just picked her up in the middle of play.

If your older dog seems to be tolerating the puppy don't worry about the noise or the mouthing, it's normal and not a sign of aggression. The yipe you heard was your older dog teaching your puppy bite inhibition. (telling the pup the bite was too hard for play)

Because your male can't move quickly, keep a close watch on the pup as she gets older to make sure she doesn't really annoy or hurt him. Her puppy pass won't last forever but for now, he's the best teacher she can have. (assuming he's a good dog)

·
Banned
182 Posts
I would not allow a puppy to torment an older dog who deserves some peace as "his back end" I am sure bothers him. Your using him as a baby sitter; you need to step up & walk, play, then crate a pup when you do not have time for. As well as a pup that plays with another dog will not focus on you. You are teaching the pup that playing with this dog is more fun than you.

& a pup getting that worked up, doesn't give up, till what? Older dog finally does what the "alpha" should do, & put a stop to this puppies behavior. You are letting your older dog down, you need to be the leader.

I had a dog almost loose an eye this summer, & not from another dog, but really makes me think as after the fact is too late.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I would not allow a puppy to torment an older dog who deserves some peace as "his back end" I am sure bothers him. Your using him as a baby sitter; you need to step up & walk, play, then crate a pup when you do not have time for. As well as a pup that plays with another dog will not focus on you. You are teaching the pup that playing with this dog is more fun than you.
It's only torment if the older dog thinks it's torment. Most older dogs are pretty good about sending clear messages to puppies when it's time for them to back off. As long as she's supervising them I don't see where it's a problem.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I do supervise when they're together. And yes, my senior (Dakota) is a good dog. I think he is extremely tolerant of the pup (Rumi). When it looks like she is going into overdrive w/ him or he has had enough I crate her. My concern, as I originally posted, is the level of intensity she reaches & my concern that this may bring on agression for when she's older. Am I being paranoid, or is this, as WhiteShepherd mentions, a normal part of her learning? Dakota is such a good natured, easy going guy & I'd like to see Rumi develop similarly.

·
Banned
182 Posts
All I stated was my opion, as was stated by the prior posters in this thread.
& I stand by my opinion, I would not allow this "play";
"only torment if the older dog thinks it's torment", I interpret my dogs behavior & do not allow the pushing, dominant; but I also believe as a pack leader, I make the rules & decisions for what behavior is allowed, & I do not allow this type of behavior, period, no question, no debate, my opionion. Makes for easier living in my home.
Each to there own, If both the prior posters are comfortable, or want reassurance of what they are doing is "ok", guess I am not going to change what I would do in this situation, or what I think is "ok" between a puppy & any other dog; but I also did not allow my pup to "play" with any other larger, or any dogs when she was growing; I exercised & played, trained with her.
& after a year old, I closely supervised the play with our other, 20# Cairn Terrier; now they both know the rules & they know I make the rules, as a pack leader does.

I wish you the best, but if your asking about it on a web board, it is something that you are wondering about, & or, concerned enough about to ask. This pup is young, you are rite to wonder, as this is going to escalate considerably.
Just don't blame the "good, ole boy" if thing's turn, & a vet visit becomes warrented.
The older dog is still looking for you to "lead" even if you not.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
In my case, I have normally seen my older dogs get a little "spark" back from having a puppy around. Kiya is 6 yrs, she has health issues, she has seizures and has been on meds for almost 5 years, her hind end is weak from Ataxia caused from the drugs. I observe my dogs and I trust my gut. Half the time if I stepped in to "calm" the play thinking Kiya had enough, I watch Kiya go back for more. My 8 yr old still isn't 100% about the pup who is now 9 months old, but he has definately warmed up to her a bit and will initiate play now. He even does his grizzly bear routine with her. My pup, Lakota, never tried to play with the 8 yr old like she does with the 6 yr old, he would not tolerate her and she learned to respect him. Of course I never left the pup alone with them until I was confident it was ok. I still confine my pup when we are not home in the house and at night. So the older dogs definately get a break from her. She's mellowed out so much over the months, most of the time she behaves well.
Have you seen any sign the pup has brought a little life back to your older dog, or does he snarl at the pup and turn away.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you seen any sign the pup has brought a little life back to your older dog, or does he snarl at the pup and turn away.
I wouldn't say that the pup has rejuvinated my old guy (although I've heard a pup can do this), but there is no snarling or turning away by him when she instigates play. I think he kind of enjoys it up to a point. And when the Rumi-monster starts amping up & I crate her, he seems relieved.

·
Super Moderator
32,402 Posts
I can't remember - have you had two dogs at the same time before? A lot of play LOOKS really aggressive, but is all in fun. And puppies that age usually have at least one or two periods of frantic amped up out of control behavior every day, one in the morning and one in the evening. All of mine have done this and sometimes there's really nothing you can do to calm the pup down other than crate her for a bit. All the exercise in the world won't prevent it. A solo pup might just get the zoomies and race around the house, but with another dog there, will be obnoxious and relentless in trying to get the other dog to play with her.

In any case, I wouldn't be too concerned about this typical puppy behavior turning into aggressiveness, but I would make sure to step in and stop interactions between the two of them before she pushes him too far and he feels like he needs to protect himself, especially since he's older and doesn't get around so well. Just because she's being a typical puppy doesn't mean you have to tolerate it, you can set rules and boundaries of what you think is acceptible. NILIF, NILIF, NILIF. Distract and engage. Break up play with some brief obedience, a couple of sits or downs for a treat, or reward for eye contact, etc.

·
Super Moderator
32,402 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
First I want to say that I'm no expert and I'm just telling you what we experienced, so please take my comments with a grain of salt. When we got Dakota 2 years ago our older girl was 12 yo. Dakota would try and play with her and Marti would growl and nip at her. We never left them alone together and monitored them very closely. Dakota wouldn't give up and each day would try and play with Marti. After a couple of weeks Marti started playing back. They would play a lot. You could tell when Marti was tired of playing because she would give Dakota that serious bark and nip at her, not actually touching her. We commented that she brought a little life back into Marti. Fast forward to now. Marti doesn't play nearly as much and Dakota now plays with our new girl Jackie. Dakota is a very sweet girl and doesn't show aggression towards anyone. Well, unless you count the guy trying to sell something at the door a few months ago. She just did not like that guy at all, lol!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
My older Golden was a God send when Hondo was a puppy. They'd play and play. Tug (the Golden) would let Hondo know when enough was enough. If Hondo got too rough, he'd alpha roll him and stand over him. I never had any problems with the shark puppy stage because of Tug. He wouldn't allow Hondo to get too rough. Their favorite game was chase - Tug would take the kong and run and Hondo would do all he could to keep up. Now that Hondo is older and can keep up, they still play chase, they just have different rules.

Tug turns 12 early next year. Tug always gets fed first. He gets treats first. We let Hondo know (who is clearly 50lbs heavier then Tug) that Tug is in charge when they play.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WAIT - you've had her two weeks and we haven't seen pictures yet?!?!?! :wild:
I've been busy keeping up w the Rumi-monster. She's 10wks old today! I'll try & get pics up this evening.

Lilie & littlebit722,
I'm glad to hear your positive senior/pup experience. I do give my Dakota first dibs on everything. I think I need to relax, intervene when necessary & trust that the dogs know how to work it out between them.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
When I got Masi, Dodge was 10 years old, he was having mobility issues but still had alot of spark left in him..

Masi just gravitated to him, and vice versa,,they played, I supervised, and if I felt it was to much on Dodge, I would redirect, by burning that energy off in a different direction..The one thing I had to watch for, was Masi getting bigger and getting the zoomies, and possibly accidently, plowing into Dodge and knocking him over,,

Oh it would sound horrendous sometimes, while they were flopping around on each on the floor, but it was all in fun, and like I said, supervising was key:)

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'm no expert either, and my dog is not a senior -- but it was a HUGE adjustment for him.

Sobacca is 4.5 years old and Minna is now 6 months old.
At 10 weeks old (and even now) she does the same things to Sobacca, she'll come up to him and bug him. Sobacca will have a bone or something and Minna will get about 6 inches from his face and just watch him until he gets distracted by snapping at her to go away and then she'll steal his bone and run off and then bring it back to taunt him a bit until he gets up and chases her.
There are still a lot of times that Sobacca barks at, snaps at, and warns Minna to leave him alone. And she doesn't care, she'll continue to do whatever she wants to do to him -- which typically results in a game beginning.

For the most part my two get along really well though.
Sobacca was a bit depressed and mopey up until the past month. I think it had something to do with this annoying puppy getting attention and being in the house. And now it seems that he's accepted her into the pack and he is even a little protective of her when we're out somewhere.

I was told a while ago that adult dogs will "put up with" puppy behavior to a certain extent. And the list of behaviors they allow the puppy to get away with gets shorter and shorter as the puppy gets older. -- I think this is somewhat true....although from my experience the list has just changed a little bit -- not really shorter or longer, just changed.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have a 10 year old and a new-ish puppy. Luckily there is a 4 year old dog in between those two. Normally it's the puppy and the 4 yo who go wild. I don't worry at all over what appears to be aggressive or wild play. I don't think it will "make" the dog aggressive.
The old guy has sent out the vibes to the puppy that he isn't to be messed with too much, and she respects that. They do play. I think he's shown her is teeth before a time or two and they looked awfully dangerous to her :)

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I was told a while ago that adult dogs will "put up with" puppy behavior to a certain extent. And the list of behaviors they allow the puppy to get away with gets shorter and shorter as the puppy gets older. -- I think this is somewhat true....although from my experience the list has just changed a little bit -- not really shorter or longer, just changed.
That's true. As the puppies get older you'll see a lot of older dogs becoming a little more firm with their corrections and less tolerant of the growing pups antics. There's no guarantee that a younger dog will always yield to an older one, and sometimes the older dog happily submits to the new dog, it just depends on their temperament.

Letting two dogs in the same house create a bond shouldn't hurt the bond they have with the owners btw, unless they're being ignored by the owners. It's better to have dogs that get along, than dogs who have to be kept in separate rooms of the house.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts