German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted on here before and have gotten some really helpful answers. I'm not sure if there is a thread for what I'm about to ask. . .I've looked at a bunch of them but haven't seen anything for what I'm asking about.

I have an 9 week old GSD/Rottie mix for a little over a week now. He has gotten very comfortable in the house and runs around like a little maniac, tries to play my cat only to get his butt handed to him, and chases my kids around. Very loving puppy, though he loves to bite we have been working on this and he is doing well with not biting super hard anymore.

The problem is when I take him outside to go potty about 40% of the time he is fine, we walk all over the place until he does his business, he gets lots of praise and then we head back to the house (this is mostly his choice, takes me right to the back door). The other 60% of the time he seems really scared at all the noises, I live in a town home and there is a bus depot and a major highway right near me, and God forbid if my neighbors dogs barks he takes of at a run for the house. He also doesn't like the sound of the squirrels in the trees, even the birds chirping gets him sometimes. I've tried to make him feel safe and not to push him into checking out new places if he doesn't want to. The problem is that if something spooks him as soon as we get outside he wants nothing more then to go back in. He pulls at the lease and cries like someone is killing him. I go over to him and pet him and talk in a clam voice but he still want to go back in. I feel like this is counter productive to his potty training, cause he will go in the house if this happens. Is there ways to make him feel safer with all the noises outside?

Another thing I'm curious about is that he is ALWAYS whining or grunting. When we play he whines/grunts, when hes sleeping he whines/grunts, I think the only time he doesn't whine/grunt is when he is eating. Is this something at is normal?

Thanks!!

This was all typed with him laying across my arms grunting and whining and kicking in his sleep. :laugh:

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
I would try distracting him - with a toy, or a treat. Try to get him to focus on you and not the noise. He is a baby and hasn't learned what all these strange sounds are. I would not try to console him when he is in that state. It would only reinforce that he has a reason to be frightened, when he does not.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
This was all typed with him laying across my arms grunting and whining and kicking in his sleep. :laugh:
"This was all typed with him laying across my arms grunting and whining and kicking in his sleep"
and "He has gotten very comfortable in the house and runs around like a little maniac, tries to play my cat only to get his butt handed to him, and chases my kids around. Very loving puppy, though he loves to bite "

Too much freedom , no rules. How do you want him to behave in the house. Set them now so that the dog isn't going to have the rug pulled out from underneath him when he is 8 months , big, fast, obnoxious. Start crating him . Give him some separation.
The pup is going to have to learn to be with you and learn to be away from you. Don't encourage an unhealthy over dependance . That won't do anything for his self confidence .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine is almost 9 wks and though he is wary of strange noises the wind really freaks him out. When it is windy and it is here alot, he is scared to go outside, he will potty but runs back to the door and go for a walk forget it. we get to my neighbours and that is it. the leaves are rustling the wind is blowing must run home ,. Not sure what to do about this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jäger has gotten a lot better with being outside. He is still a little jumpy but its more like only 10% of the time now. I think it helped that my neighbors adore him and lavish lots of petting and love on him when ever they see him. So now he knows that there is other good things besides me out there with him.

I have also started taking him on short walks during different time periods. He seems to enjoy them more when my kids are with me, but doesn't like cars. Though if I was his size I wouldn't like them either.

The only problem I'm having with him now is that he tries to eat everything when we are outside. Not when we go on walks, but when we go on our potty breaks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Being that young, being afraid to be outside on his own is normal. He will gradually come into his own. First hiding behind you, then standing right in front and gradually pulling away. Don't worry about that. He's a little baby at 9 weeks. The world is a big scary place with strange noises and animals. He needs to learn what is okay and what isn't. As for the noises, when playing that's normal. If he's dreaming, he may be having a nightmare. Stroke him and speak to him gently to reassure him. DON'T wake him quickly. Some GSD's are very vocal. He MAY just be talking to you. My beautiful girl, who I had to put done two days ago, was a talker. She would get excited and talk in my face, she'd make noises in her sleep, etc. I'd give the world to hear it all again! Be patient!

Sent from my iPad using PG Free

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I have learned to love the noises he makes, they crack me up now. Especially since I noticed he does the same noises for certain things, like when we are going outside he does this hilarious howl/whine thing that I adore.

He has worked his way into my heart and I wouldn't change anything about him. Most of what I was worried about was bought on from being a first time puppy owner and wanting to make sure I was doing things the right way. I have learned to roll with the punches now, and not worry to much about the little things.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Oh I have learned to love the noises he makes, they crack me up now. Especially since I noticed he does the same noises for certain things, like when we are going outside he does this hilarious howl/whine thing that I adore.

He has worked his way into my heart and I wouldn't change anything about him. Most of what I was worried about was bought on from being a first time puppy owner and wanting to make sure I was doing things the right way. I have learned to roll with the punches now, and not worry to much about the little things.
What a great post and thanks for the update.

We all worry about every tiny thing with our first puppy, but looks like you've been working thru most of it. Just think how much easier it will be when you add your NEXT puppy in a few years! :wub:

:paw:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts