German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wandering if this is normal or not...we have a weiner dog(henry)and the gsd(bella) of course..when we go to the dog park Bella is scared of every dog except Henry..her and Henry play all the time at home but when we go to the dog park if any dog comes up to her she cries or just runs away..I was just wandering if this is normal or it's just cause she is still a puppy.

·
Banned
377 Posts
I don't know if it is 'normal' but it is not uncommon in shepherds. Obviously, it is not desirable. The best thing to do is (if you want your dog to be sociable) to get your puppy accustomed to other dogs as much as possible.
I have a shy dog too and at (almost) 4 she still shies away from other dogs. However, after years of socialization she will now gradually warm up to friendly dogs and eventually initiate play with them. But it usually takes a longer warm-up period than other dog owners are willing to wait for. Once she has convinced herself that the other dog is safe she remembers that dog and enjoys seeing and playing with it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
we took our gsd to parks and friends houses so he could get used to dogs. He just turned 11 months and only now is he starting to play with them. Before he used to sniff and try get away :) continue what your doing and just be paitent

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Riley is the same way. I'm working on getting him used to other dogs slowly. At his pace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts