German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My almost four month old GSD refuses to go for a walks:( Long story

Of course there's a reason for that. Luna our GSD is new to our family. We got her just a week ago. She's been great and has accepted us as her pack. A couple of days after we got her we took her on a walk around the neighborhood.A lot of our neighbors own dogs so we passed some on our walk. She seemed scared of them but she wasn't aggressive towards them just nervous. Something that I understood because she wasn't socialize in her old home ( she mainly stayed in a cage with her mom).So on our 2nd day of our walk at night. We where walking with two adults and a toddler and Luna. All of a sudden we saw greyhound dogs coming towards us with no owner or collar. Of course the dog came running towards us. At this point we had a scared crying toddler and puppy who was growling my sister picked up her daughter and had Luna close to her side.While I grabbed the dog and feed it dogie treats. At this point we didn't want the dogs meeting because we didn't know if the dog was aggressive etc. The dog then ran away. We conditioned walking the opposite direction when again the dog cuts through out path. And the whole thing happens again Puppy growls toddler cry's I feed dog. We finally get home and all seems well. The next day we go out for our walk and she seems to be okay after the incident when around the same time our neighbors throw fireworks and scared her.
From those two incidents she has refused to leave our property. She will go happily to our backyard and front but won't move our little area. I've tried giving her food, forcing her or just playing the waiting game. But,nothing seems to work. It seems that dogs barking around out block scare her whenever there another dog around she starts barking or try to hide( happens when we go to the pet store) . What should I do??:help:

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Try taking her in your car to a quiet place and walk there. Let her watch people and other dogs from a distance. As she gets used to that, then you can start by taking her to more busy places. When she seems stressed, yawn which is a calming signal and walk in a circle so she follows you - reward her for following.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I'm with MaryBeth, I don't exercise my dog in my neighborhood. I want more control of the situation and the environment (plus most of my puppies also tend to like to stay in the yard).

So for exercise and socialization, I pack the pup in the car and we go to new, fun and safe places. Yard is for poops/pees. Car rides and new places are for exercise and socialization about every other day.

Puppy kindergarden is a huge help.

Have you started up with the clicker yet? --> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/150660-intro-clicker-training-perfect-puppies.html

:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice! I've tried taking her to a new place but she doesn't seem to like walking more than 5 steps. Because of the 4th of July we had our whole family go to one of my aunts house. My cuz has a 6 month old pit bull she's the kindness dog and my cuzen has great control with her. So we introduced them at first Luna barked but we waited and they finally played both dogs had there leash on . I could see that Luna didn't know the dog rules of playing. Because the pit bull would give a warning growl and Luna would just keep on bothering her. They where together most of the day and everything went well. When we notice that the dog's where getting annoyed with each other towards the end of the day. So we separated them. I'm going to start clicker training her this week. I called trainers in my area and I was advice to put her in private classes that would cost $100 an hour.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
That's great Luna has found a friend. Maybe what would help her walking, is if next time, she could go for an on leash walk with the other dog and your cousin. It is important also to go slow and short distances as young pups get tired fast. Or if you take her alone someplace else, like a park - just use a longer line and sit and let her explore. As she gets older, she will want to do more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts