·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I call my 3 month gsd puppy he runs away from me.can anyone help me

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I suspect one of two (or both) things happen when you call your pup.

1) "Pumpkin!" Pup looks at you, but doesn't move. It waits. It knows one of two things are going to happen. You will either be frustrated and use a squeaky whinny voice (GAME ON!!!) and chase down your pup!! WHOO HOO!!! Pup LOVES that game!!!

2) "Pumpkin!" Pup looks at you, but doesn't move. It waits. Now you're ticked. You're tired. It's past bed time and the dang dog won't move!! ARGH!!!! What comes out of your mouth next would scare the smirk off a scarecrow. Puppy says, "Oh hec no!" and runs for cover.

Am I close?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Love your take on this Lilie!

Do you play "watch me" game? reward him for looking and coming to you?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My wife and I have taught our 16 week gsd by making a game out of it.
We will take turns holding his leash and then the other will walk up and show him that we have a treat/toy and tease him with it until he goes crazy then run away 10-20 meters.
Then you call him an he will come charging full speed. Then the other will do the same.
In a short amount of time the distance will increase drastically.
I hope that makes sense, it works and your dog will love it and do it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would recommend going back to basics, have him on lead till he's doing it right. I would also break it down into the sections. Sit, Then leave, then recall, sit and then your return/ finish.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
run away from him! Praise when he chases after you. Treat when he reaches you. Make it fun and worth it for him to come to you. Nothing is more fun to a puppy than having to chase you down. You're playing with him in a sense instead of taking the fun away.

·
Registered
156 Posts
30' lead. Command just for the return, lots and lots of praise. Start giving praise the moment he turns and all the way until he is back.

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
My wife and I have taught our 16 week gsd by making a game out of it.
We will take turns holding his leash and then the other will walk up and show him that we have a treat/toy and tease him with it until he goes crazy then run away 10-20 meters.
Then you call him an he will come charging full speed. Then the other will do the same.
In a short amount of time the distance will increase drastically.
I hope that makes sense, it works and your dog will love it and do it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Restrained recalls are great and doing it often regardless of the age of the pup/dog is always a benefit...especially if you are trying to teach the dog to run to you full speed with enthusiasm.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
30' lead. Command just for the return, lots and lots of praise. Start giving praise the moment he turns and all the way until he is back.

Yep. Call them, they may run. Run away and they will chase!

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I do a restrained recall with my puppy at the end of this video. She's 18 weeks now, but we have been doing this since she was 10 weeks or so. You can see how excited she gets when someone else holds her back and she gets to run after me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like the restrained recall. When one of my puppies is young, I don't ever tell them to come when I can't make them.

Make the recall training the most fun you've ever had with your puppy. Don't chase him and never give up - he'll do awesome!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts