German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's got to be different quantity to the raw diet given to a growing dog. I've got a 5 and 1/2 month old GSD and I want to make sure I feed him enough.

Anyone have the percentages? I feed the rest of my crew based on the weight percentages and info on Lauri's site (Before someone Killed it!!!!!
)

I'd appreciate any help. I just got my boy Friday, and I DO NOT want to do him wrong.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
You can feed him 2-3% of his expected adult weight or 10% of his 8 week old weight of you know that info. And just where are the pics???

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
I got Kaynya, my Chinese Crested, at 11 weeks of age. She weighed a whooping 3 pounds!! Since I didn't know what she weighed at 8 weeks I started by giving her about 8% of the esitamted adulkt weight (based on the AKC standard).

I weighed her at the end of the first week and she maintained her weight. So I increased it a tiny bit (about 2 ounces) and went with that for the next week. Weighed her again and she was starting to gain.

The key is to keep the puppy trim. Roly-poly fat puppies are cute but they are NOT healthy! Your pup should remain fit and trim at all times.

And there's no set amount or percentage to go by. Puppy go through growth spurts and plateaus - it's just something to have to play with.

I would pick a starting point and go from there. Weigh the pup weekly and, more importantly, watch their body to see how it looks.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Wow congratulations Joan! Just where the heck have you been!? lol

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: Caja's MomWow congratulations Joan! Just where the heck have you been!? lol
I fell off the earth for a while.
Been working full time at the gas station (teaching cert. expired so could only sub 40 days per year) and working at the horse races Wed. Fri. Sat. and Sun.

Thanx all for the info. Gotta take some more good pics and get em downloaded.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Well good luck with everything. Let me know how things are going. I have been out of raw feeding for awhile and looking to get back into it. Have any of your suppliers changed? Anything easier or harder to get a hold of? PM me if it's easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts