German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys just bought a new pup. I got him later than my other dog or any dog I have ever gotten for that matter. He is 14 weeks, but I want to make sure this pup is an active dog not a couch potatoes like my other dog "just an expression" However I've never tried to title my previous dogs was looking to get into maybe some obedience work with this pup. Could someone please point in the right direction. I have looked this forum over and I don't see any place on how to get started. Maybe I'm just over looking something. Did I get him to late for this, what training should I start with, etc? Any and all the basic things and places to go to get me started would be very helpful. Thank you guys so much.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
You really need to find a good trainer in your area and go from there. I train with a club that does schutzhund and mondioring, but the larger training club in general also has agility they train for, dock diving, akc obedience, they do CGC testing. Etc... thats the kind of place/ trainer you need to find. Just start calling around. I always recommend trying local schutzhund clubs simply because they know the breed ad even if that's not a sport you're interested in, they probably know good trainers that know the breed and can really help you.

Good luck!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Btw 14 weeks is in no way too old. Berling is now 6 months old. Sadly my father passed away not too long ago and we completely stopped all training for over a month. I'm a little panicked it will really set him back but my trainer stills thinks he will do just fine and be an amazing dog. Its that newbie mindset of mine, but really these dogs are very versatile and smart and pick up fast.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
75 Posts
Where in Colorado are you located and which club do you train with? If you don't mind sharing that info.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well if anyone knows of any Good Trainers in my area Florence SC (1 hr from myrtle beach) please let me know. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts