German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got several questions, so thanks in advance for the answers!

We've had Eva since she was six weeks old (I know she should have had 2 more weeks with sibs and momma, but she didn't and I can't change that :whistle: ). She's 10 weeks now.

I feel she's really bonded with us (and, of course, we ADORE her!)

1. When Eva is in bed with us and wants to snuggle with me (I'm female), she often cuddles up close and rests her throat across my throat. (I'm usually on my side.) She will then stay there for a few minutes until she changes her head position. I am usually petting her softly during this time and she will often give a big sigh as she lies there. Would she do this with her dog mother? Is it the snuggle/cuddle/be close thing I think it is?

2. When she wants to sleep during the day - I work at home and have her tethered to me - she often gets close to my foot and sleeps with her head resting on top of my foot. She will also just put a paw on me (foot) as she sleeps. Is she going to have trouble with separation anxiety at some point? Or is it just she wants to be close to her human mama?

3. On most days we walk with her for about 2 miles at a time (on grass, not dog-heavy area). We often do this twice a day. We let her stop whenever she wants and if she seems like she doesn't want to go the whole way, we go back. If she's still running on the return to the house, is that amount of exercise ok?

4. When she's told "no bite" (working on bite inhibition) and she "sasses me" verbally (but does listen) is it okay that I just ignore it? She does not try to bite again, she just talks back.

Thanks!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
1. my 3 yr old male does the same thing with my GF.

2. my dog does the same thing. many times during a day
i would crate my pup. sometimes i stayed in the room with him
and sometimes i would leave the room and the house. i wanted my pup
to be non reactive when crated or when we weren't home.

3. my dog was 6 to 9 months old before we
started walking miles. by the time he was 1.5 or 2 yrs old
we were going 5 miles at a slow pace. i needed the slow pace.
on our 5 mile walks we stop for breaks and water.

4. when i told my dog "no biting" if he talked back
i would say "quiet" or "no barking". i taught him
"no biting", "quiet" and "no barking" at the same time.

I've got several questions, so thanks in advance for the answers!

We've had Eva since she was six weeks old (I know she should have had 2 more weeks with sibs and momma, but she didn't and I can't change that :whistle: ). She's 10 weeks now.

I feel she's really bonded with us (and, of course, we ADORE her!)

1. When Eva is in bed with us and wants to snuggle with me (I'm female), she often cuddles up close and rests her throat across my throat. (I'm usually on my side.) She will then stay there for a few minutes until she changes her head position. I am usually petting her softly during this time and she will often give a big sigh as she lies there. Would she do this with her dog mother? Is it the snuggle/cuddle/be close thing I think it is?

2. When she wants to sleep during the day - I work at home and have her tethered to me - she often gets close to my foot and sleeps with her head resting on top of my foot. She will also just put a paw on me (foot) as she sleeps. Is she going to have trouble with separation anxiety at some point? Or is it just she wants to be close to her human mama?

3. On most days we walk with her for about 2 miles at a time (on grass, not dog-heavy area). We often do this twice a day. We let her stop whenever she wants and if she seems like she doesn't want to go the whole way, we go back. If she's still running on the return to the house, is that amount of exercise ok?

4. When she's told "no bite" (working on bite inhibition) and she "sasses me" verbally (but does listen) is it okay that I just ignore it? She does not try to bite again, she just talks back.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
The way you are doing your exercise is just fine and everything else sounds like normal behavior.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both very much!

I'll be working on the "quiet" along with the "no bite".

I've never had a puppy this young, and I know this time is crucial, so I want to do what's best for her.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
It's all normal GSD's are very vocal dogs. My Zoe is quite sassy and whines, makes weird half growling noises, and actually talks in a strange long pitch changing banter I can't really describe. I have to get it on tape sometime,lol she talks to me more than my kids half the time:)

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
She sounds like a sweet dog. :)
Mine can both be pretty sassy but they do what we ask them to do... I don't mind...actually I don't think I'd change it. I like talkative dogs.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I think she sounds pretty normal as well, all of mine have always been touchy/feely type dogs, lay on your feet, have to be "touching" you.

One thing I would work on tho, is getting her used to being alone (crated) at times, you don't want her to end up with separation anxiety which can be a pain to deal with. Leave a radio on, tv, whatever, start leaving alone (I find I have to leave the house, those puppies KNOW when your around:) just so she can get used to that:)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts

you mean like that? they just want to be close to you. Jakoda described my dogs almost to a T with the touchy feely. I also agree with what she said about your pup needing to learn to be away from you on their own. Seperation is no fun and its very difficult to correct if ever.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yeah mine all do that, too. My late great dane was THE best, he slept next to me with his head on the pillow and our backs pressed together REALLY tight if I was on my side, if I was on my back, he'd lie half on top of me and I'd wake up with a numb left arm every day!

My Pom sleeps like KZoppa's dog there, it's great in winter, keeps ya warm! Remi has also taken to sleeping with his head on my foot while I'm sitting, which my Pom HATES, cause that was his thing!

HOWEVER if he wants to sleep during the day, and I mean really sleep as opposed to napping or resting, I will sometimes put him in his crate. Just so he gains a little independence so he won't stress if I'm away. Plus, I want him to like his crate and see it as a safe den to rest in instead of "that jail cell I get locked in when she leaves me!"

The exercise sounds fine - it's on grass, she rests when needed, and it's stopped when she's done: perfect! It's good for her, she'll be strong, fit and healthy - and so will you!

Rem sasses me verbally too a lot, he's very vocal - it's a puppy thing, and I just ignore it. If she were barking back at you as she got older, I'd correct it, but for now she's fine. :)

It's great you're asking questions, so many people rush into puppies without knowing anything, you've done right by your adorable girl!

·
Registered
936 Posts
2 miles is too far for a 10 week old. 4 miles in one day way too much. At this age you are more worried about bones and joints and not building endurance or muscle. In fact most GSD breeders will tell you to avoid running and stairs even for a while. If you wreak the bone development there is no way to turn back. GSD have some hefty growth plates that need to knit properly.

10 minutes each way is more than enough.

I personally would not recommend 2 mile type walks till older grass or no grass due to bone development. Pups that age do not truly know when they should stop and unfortunately may go past their safe point.

That is my only concern.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
When Sinister was a puppy he always layed next to me, put his head in my lap and put his paw on my foot.

I also think 2 miles is too far for a 10 week old puppy. I think a mile would be ok but not 2.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts