German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there,

Long time lurker, finally decided to get a puppy a while back. Currently however, i am extremely frustrated at myself and inflexibility of this law. So basically i was bitten by my 13 week GSD during play, hard enough to draw blood and a puncture wound. Paranoid/ignorant me thought i should go get my tetanus shot updated just in case (Been 9 years). The nurse asked me why i was in and i told them in passing that i got play-bitten by my puppy..........

Fast forward to the next day, i get a phone call saying that she is in a mandatory 10 day quarantine for rabies, She is literally two weeks away from her rabies shot, she will be missing 2 out of 6 obedience classes, plus i watch her all the time when she is outside (def did not see any rabid animals in my lifetime in Ontario). I know this is a public health issue, but it feels SO unfair to my puppy. I now feel extremely guilty for trying to be "safe". I am fearful of the impact of no socialization for 10 days and missing some classes...

I was hoping some of you can give some advice to keep my puppy stimulated in a limited amount of space. Also if anyone else had a similar experience, please share as I am worried about the absence of socialization in the coming week will have on her temperament since she is so young. I just really wish the public health agency took the situation and the age of the puppy more into consideration cause 10 days to me is excessive, especially considering the last case of human rabies was in the 1980s in my area....

Any help is appreciated!! This is a wonderful community that i hope to be apart of!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Sorry that this happened to you and your puppy. I have read on here where members have made up stories to tell at the er when their pups have bitten them during play so that they did not have to go through what you are. When puppies are so young and they have those razor sharp teeth it is very easy to get a puncture from playing and you would think that the age of the puppy would be taken in consideration.

During quarantine, does that mean that your pup is home and that it cannot leave your house? If so are you allowed to have friends to come over with their pets? I would not know what to suggest to you other than people coming to you since you cannot go to them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry that this happened to you and your puppy. I have read on here where members have made up stories to tell at the er when their pups have bitten them during play so that they did not have to go through what you are. When puppies are so young and they have those razor sharp teeth it is very easy to get a puncture from playing and you would think that the age of the puppy would be taken in consideration.

During quarantine, does that mean that your pup is home and that it cannot leave your house? If so are you allowed to have friends to come over with their pets? I would not know what to suggest to you other than people coming to you since you cannot go to them.
Sadly she cannot come into contact with any other human or animal but myself... she has access to my house and my yard but i feel shes already extremely bored :(

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
That sucks, maybe hide stuff around the yard and let her search for them. Like her favorite treats or her kibble if she is like mine and think that they can't never get enough to eat. Maybe a flirt pole, fetching a ball, just a few suggestions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sucks, maybe hide stuff around the yard and let her search for them. Like her favorite treats or her kibble if she is like mine and think that they can't never get enough to eat. Maybe a flirt pole, fetching a ball, just a few suggestions.
Thanks! I tried hiding things around the yard for her to search :)

Does anyone know if she will now be labeled a "dangerous dog"? I live in Ontario.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sadly she cannot come into contact with any other human or animal but myself... she has access to my house and my yard but i feel shes already extremely bored :(
Just curious, if she is in your home with you, how would anyone know if you had friends over with there dog/s?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just curious, if she is in your home with you, how would anyone know if you had friends over with there dog/s?
Yes she is undergoing a home quarantine. Basically only allowed on my property...

I think they said they will come randomly check up on her during the week. Also a fine of up to 5K can be given to those who violate a quarantine :eek:

Just worried about how this will effect her temperament more than anything... i just run circles in my yard and get her to chase me as exercise lol :( She is not much interested in fetch/flirt pole. Just gives up after a few minutes :help:

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
If she has a solid temperament to begin with this will be but a blip. I fostered a GSD-Coonhound mix who spent his first 8-10 weeks in a yard playing with his siblings in the garbage, he had Strangles and was on HIGH dose pred for treatment, I totally isolated him except for me and my pack for the full time he was on it, went to vet at 2 week recheck, still on pred, kept him back a couple more weeks because he was unvaccinated as well, that dog is social with all people and great with dogs.

I have a herding breed mix dog who lived in KY - was taken to a shelter during his puppyhood, was pulled for rescue - he was about 3 months, had sarcoptic mange, so under full isolation for another month, then got demodex, so he was not doing well immune system wise, I held him back another month - so we were at about 5-6 months and the only place he's been is the vet. He's 1.5 now and working on becoming a therapy dog - when we go into the pet food store, the staff yell Nico! because he's dancing around, putting on a show. It took him a few outings to catch up, and he is herding breed aware in new situations until he relaxes, then he's very appropriate.

And I have a dog I socialized extensively who is shy/wary with new people, but that's okay for my purposes, he is always a happy boy at home.

Temperament - I am always so impressed at what it can do!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts