German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my husband and I got our first GSD when he was 6 weeks old and he's 7 months old now. We also have a 4 year old and 16 month old daughters.

Our youngest loves the dog and doesn't mind it when he licks her. He's pretty gentle with her and leaves her alone for the most part, unless giving her kisses.

Our 4 year old, however, hates the dog. She tells me she wants to get rid of the dog on a daily basis and can't stand it when he tries to lick her. He nips at her a lot, just trying to get her to play with him, but she can't stand it. She wants nothing to do with him.

We have kept him indoors for the most part, but did try keeping him outside for a short period of time to see if it would help matters. Our daughter was much happier, but I know Rocco wasn't. He would jump all over you when you went outside or when you got home. He hasn't learned "down" yet and our parents hate coming over because they don't want to deal with him or his energy.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do. My husband is at his wits end and just wants to find him a new home. It's caused a lot of stress in the house. I hate to get rid of him because I know he's just a puppy and a lot, if not all of his behavior, is normal.

I know now that we should have waited until the kids were older to get a pet, much less a GSD, but we didn't and the situation is what it is.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar situation and if so what you did?

Thanks in advance...and please no negative comments. I feel bad enough as it is...

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
He sounds under stimulated and bored.... how much exercise does he get? How about training? Especially at that age, they need a lot of rules and structure. Up the exercise a lot, up the obedience, take classes, and practice Nothing In Life is Free. You have a puppy running amok because he doesn't know any better and doesn't have an outlet.... these dogs require a lot of work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How much structured exercise does he get? Its one thing to be outside but another to be on a walk or hike with the family or you or whomever. Is he your first dog not just GSD? Not accusatory just curious. Because dogs as intelligent as GSDs are they need a "job" as an outlet for their energy and more importantly inducing mental fatigue and challenges. Something as simple as playing fetch with a ball or basic obedience training is important to their cognitive growth and mental stability.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I know how busy you are with little ones (I had three under four + GSD at one time in my life).

Take a breath and think this out.

7 months is a hard stage because dog is still 'puppy,' but big.

How about engaging the 4 year old with special privileges with the dog. Take all outside and get 2 or 3 balls. Get pup interested in catching ball and coming back for you to throw another. Make it seem like it's the most fun (for dog and 4 year old) and then, because she's a 'big girl' allow her to throw a ball.

Maybe you can solve two problems at once. Pup gets exercise, looks to daughter and wants ball more than nipping.

You can also engage four year old in training. Let her give sit or down command and give pup a treat for complying. Praise the heck out of her for being such a good trainer.

If you can get the puppy exercised and trained at the same time as your little girl gets attention, win, win combo.

good luck

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
Boy, you are going through the rough stage with two youngsters.

Can you have a few rooms where the dog is allowed and some rooms where the dog is not allowed? Then your daughter would only encounter the dog when she went into certain areas in the house, and most of the time she can avoid him.

But I also think you really need to get out and get the dog into some training. He should not be jumping on your folks, it is normal if you haven't trained him not to, but it does not mean it is appreciated.

Training would be good for him, and for your, and will make life in your home much better. Your dog should really enjoy the training sessions.

I know it is hard to find the time, but use your class time as your work-out, your time. Husband will have to watch the girls on Saturday morning or Monday evening. And after the kids are asleep at night, a good walk with your boy, stopping often to do sits and downs, and come fronts and returns.

I took my six year old nieces to the park with two 4 month old puppies. The younger, who is taller and bigger than the other one, at first did not want to manage a puppy. The smaller did.

Unfortunately, the dog pulled her down, and scraped her hand by pulling away from her. I did not think the puppies were that strong. They are. Yours is bigger and your daughter is younger, though I don't know, I think Analisa is all of 35 pounds dripping wet.

Last night I had both girls out walking one of my almost eight year old bitches, and doing quite well.

I don't suggest you try to include your daughter in the training of your boy, but I think that the seven-month-crazies will ebb around 2-3 years, and by then your daughter will be able to help. He will have by then stopped the nipping, because you are not going to allow any more of that, and he will be more mature.

These girls I am talking about came to us at 9 and 12 months old. My parents dog was totally unused to babies or children, and two years old. My parents set up a pet yard in the living room where the girls could play with their toys and be free of him. They would play in there for a while, but then they would venture out, and he learned how to treat them properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts