German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just got a gsd puppy 2 days ago he just turned 8 weeks when I got him. he is my first dog ever. He was good the first day mostly just sleeping but then when we took him to his crate attached to playpen he lost it,he cried the rest of the night. Its going to stop in about a few days right? one thing im confused about is like when i go to his room and start preparing his food in the morning he starts jumping on the playpen then starts barking and crying, what do I do then.
then on the second day i had two little cousins over. they are both little kids ages 7 and 9. he was great with the 9 year old. but he started to smell the 7 year old and she got a little scared and starting running away he started chasing her. he started to bark right at her and move forward. i grabbed him and held him down so he couldn't get to her. later on that day we brought her back to feed him a treat she did but soon later he started the same barking thing and scratched her on her leg. he also did the same thing to my grandma. This morning he started to jump all over my little sister who was with him the whole time and scratched up her leg. we took him to the vet and he healthy what can i do to stop this? is this aggression? and how about the jumping and crying in the playpen?

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Your pup is a baby, and it does not know it is not supposed to be jumping on people or scratching them. And when it was chasing the little girl it was playing the only way that it knows how, it is no way being aggressive at 8 wks old. When something or someone runs from them they chase it, that is what they do. After you have had the pup a little while you can start training it to not do those things, but for right now it thinks it is playing. It cries and whines for you because it wants to be with you, the crying and whining may lessen but your gsd will always want to be with it's person. Be patient with your pup and with time you will have a great dog.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
If everyone is afraid of this baby when its 8 weeks old wait till it gets older :eek: If you want the crying to stop bring the pups crate to your bed room at night. They love attention for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how should i correct him or create a rule when he jumps on people and scratches. also when he was jumping and chasing I just held him down on the floor and he went crazy barking trying to get at the kids. also when im petting him on the back or side he turns his head around and trys to bite lick my hand does he not like petting?

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Gently grasp his paws and place them back on the floor and tell him No jump. You could start rewarding him with treats, by teaching him to not jump. At his age I would just use his kibble as a treat.

·
Super Moderator
32,538 Posts
#1 - Keep him on leash when meeting people so he can't jump on them.

#2 - Teach the kids not to run away from him. Running triggers prey drive, so keep the kids calm around the puppy and instruct them to move slowly.

#3 - Scan through the threads in the puppy sub-forums on the board. There's a sticky thread about teaching bite inhibition, and lots of other good information.

#4 - Have him sleep in his crate at night, but be aware that he will probably need to go out for potties at least once during the night. I keep the crate right next to the bed so I can hear if puppy wakes up and fusses, and then I can run him/her out.

The crying when you put him to bed at night should get better soon, all my puppies have cried at first. He's barking and crying in the morning because he's excited, probably hungry, and I'm sure he also needs to go out to pee and poop. I take mine out first thing, and then AFTER they've done their business outside I'll start preparing their food. Think of an 8 week old puppy as a baby in diapers - when they have to go they have to go NOW, and they don't have a lot of advance warning about that. As he matures he'll start recognizing the signs that he needs to potty, and will be able to hold it longer but don't expect that for awhile.

#5 - Look for a puppy class and start training him to be the dog you want him to be. It sounds like maybe you haven't had a puppy before - classes will teach you how to train him, and what to do about problem behavior.

I know what you're seeing is alarming but it's pretty typical young untrained puppy behavior, and probably not aggression.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how about when he starts to bite clothing and pull it? and the only problem with the leash is he is really uncomfortable while wearing it and just dose not move I have him in a crate attached to a playpen. yesterday I had him in the crate but he would not stop whining so i went and let him out into the playpen to see if he needed to go poo or had pooed already. he did not and I let him out after i fed him in the morning and he pooed and peed. the biting of the cloths is not acceptable so any suggestions on how to stop that? is it going to get worse or better?

·
Registered
51 Posts
You have to get your puppy used to a leash for your safety & his (and to take him for walks & out in public). The only way he is going to get used to it is by using it (same with the crate). At his age he should be leashed or crated- if not he can be destructive (puppies are like babies- it can be dangerous if you don't always watch them). It's the same concept with crating- if you give him attention and let him out every time he cries he will always do it. If he doesn't have to go to the bathroom, put him back in the crate & walk away.

You not only need to train your puppy, but also any people, especially kids, who will be around him. Especially in the first couple weeks he doesn't need any excitement or stress- his new home & new master is going to be stressful enough. You also need to start setting ground rules now. Remember don't let him do anything now that you don't want him doing when he's full grown & at least 70-80lbs.

When he bites tell him "no bite" (don't yell) & put a toy in his mouth. Puppies teeth & need to chew. You don't want him using people for his teething. Seriously you need to get in a puppy class ASAP.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
All the things you are describing is that of a perfectly normal GSD puppy.

It's takes time to train them into good habits. Have you found a puppy class near you yet? Get on that ASAP, this is a critical time for socializing your puppy and starting your training.

Getting a puppy is not unlike having a baby, they take a tremendous amount of work. It will get easier and better, but find a training place near you to help show you how to work with your puppy.

Don't be too hard on the little guy. You see how puppies play with one another, that is all they know, and he wants to play with you too. They have to learn how to behave around people with GENTLE guidance.

If he bites, tell him 'don't bite' and redirect him to a toy. With the crying, he just lost him mom and littermates and knows he's vulnerable to predators. He wants to be with you, you are his everything. You keep him safe, you put food in his tummy. That's why he's upset when he can't get to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i cant really put him in a class yet because most require that he has had his shots and be 10 weeks. He also started to bark at my neighbour and dad today for no reason they were not running nothing just standing. is that normal?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Everything you are describing is normal puppy behaviour. When Shadow was a pup, I had at least 3 pair of pants destroyed by him latching on and pulling. Read the section on bite inhibition. It has lots of good tips. He is just a baby and will take a lot of time and patience. Any of us that have had pups have been where you are. Take a breath, and enjoy the puppy phase. Before you know it, they're full grown.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
he just started barking at my sister and biting her feet. with my other cousin she was just walking around after he did all the chasing and stuff. he was normal for a bit she gave him some treats and then all of a sudden he started to bark and go crazy on her again. Is there anyway to make him to stop barking at specific people and make him like them.

·
Registered
606 Posts
He's just playing with them. GSD's are VERY vocal and rough when they play. It's not that he doesn't like them. What I used to do with Shadow was have his leash on him and if he got TOO hyper or crazy, especially with the kids, was keep him by my side, or give him a cool down in his crate for a bit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So- I am in no way shape or form an expert on this, but I've had my 9 week old lab/gsd mix for a week and she came from an animal control facility on a farm. She never saw a crate before I had her. So that first night was tough. But I put her right next to my bed with the lights on. Every night after that I've just had little twinkle lights on in my room and she is still in her crate next to my bed. I only tell her once that I'm here and she's going to be fine. She cried a little the first few nights, but now, she just goes right in and falls asleep!! I hope it lasts!!! Also there are songs on iTunes by a company called relaxmydog. The are soft and have birds singing in the background. A couple of these do calm her down!! Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
i cant really put him in a class yet because most require that he has had his shots and be 10 weeks. He also started to bark at my neighbour and dad today for no reason they were not running nothing just standing. is that normal?
You can get him signed up and book your next set of shots. When is he getting his next shots?

You are describing a normal puppy. Biting, barking is all part of puppy play.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
If you haven't had a chance to read up on ---> Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums please do so now.

GSD puppies take TONS of time to play, love and train. They are absolutely not the easiest puppies to raise and if you are already overwhelmed you may need to reconsider your choice of this breed as a puppy for your home.

Can't state enough how my entire LIFE changes for the first few years I get a puppy. So if I don't have hours of extra free time every day right now, I do NOT add a puppy to the overscheduled busy day I have.

Can you call up the breeder and tell them you think you may have made a mistake? With such a young puppy they would easily be able to find a home better prepared. If you wait until your pup is older and you are completely overwhelmed then it's not such a good outlook.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...wner/188549-puppy-biting-hints-tips-help.html

http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...191183-top-training-expectations-puppies.html

GOOD LUCK with whatever you decide but please do it for the puppy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
should I keep him in a crate during the day to get him used to it? because when I do that he constantly is whining and barking and clawing at the door. also its not really like crying when i leave its more like barking is that normal? also whenever I am out of his sight he starts crying barking jumping. any tips to fix that. its been 4 nights and he cried during all of them . When will this stop?

·
Registered
51 Posts
should I keep him in a crate during the day to get him used to it? because when I do that he constantly is whining and barking and clawing at the door. also its not really like crying when i leave its more like barking is that normal? also whenever I am out of his sight he starts crying barking jumping. any tips to fix that. its been 4 nights and he cried during all of them . When will this stop?
Any time you can not fully watch him he should be in his crate. And again, when he is in his crate do not respond to the crying (unless he has been in there & probably needs to go to the bathroom). When not in the crate keep him on a leash so you can see him & keep control of him. If he acts up, calmly put him back in the crate.

This is all normal. The first few weeks for a new puppy are very stressful, especially if you are getting stressed. Try to limit how many people are coming around your puppy for the 1st few weeks until he gets settled & starts to trust you & you can react to his puppy behavior calmly.

My old dog we rescued from the street so he wasn't used to a crate or leash at all. Luckily it only took a few days for him to get used to a crate, but I still didn't give him run of the house until he was almost 2, & I had him in puppy class & then beginner obedience. Now I'm waiting for my 2nd puppy a GSD (I'm getting him 1st week of Aug) & I already took off that whole week of work so I can help him get adjusted & I can be ok not getting sleep for at least the first few nights. I only work 2-3 nights anyway so there will pretty much always be someone home with him to exercise him & take care of him. If you don't have the time to dedicate to the puppy maybe you should rethink this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have had our pup for ten days (so no experts here) but we've raised 2 GSD pups quite a long time ago as well. We've had our pup sleep next to our bed tethered on a leash and during the day we are training her in the crate. We've started with a short period of time while one of us sits next to the crate reading a book (not paying attention to the whining) and then next crate period a little further away doing dishes, then walking around, and slowly increasing the duration. From my perspective, I am trying to stay sane during my bizzilion potty runs, chew toys, etc., and so at least sleeping at night (which she does wonderful next to the bed) saves my sanity. The new skeet monks advised the tethered to the bed for the first few nights - I am probably doing this longer than they suggest, but again sanity is important.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm reading a GSD book now that breaks down everything from care to behavior & training for every month of the puppy, & this 1 chapter totally reminds me of a period with my 1st dog (you forget these things in the grand scheme of it all). Between around 7mth- at least 1 year old the puppy goes through it's "teenage" years. And they honestly act like teenagers! It's like they totally forget everything they have learned, & totally test your patience. Some are worse then others, but it is something to consider. If you are stressed & having a hard time with a new puppy then are you going to be ready for this? Do you really have the time to dedicate? The book says how this is the most common age that dogs get sent to shelters or abandoned because they puppy cuteness goes away & they really are tough at this age, & people can't handle it. Just some info for you to consider whether this is right for you or not.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts