German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kept telling myself not to buy this puppy. But we are also the type that try and rescue pound puppies. Our 7 week old puppy came from a "backyard breeder". and as I know and read. There are may bad issues that can come from them. with inbreeding, poor living quarters, and all the bad genetic issues that can come from them low class backyard breeders. And in AZ we have alot of them selling them every month for $300-$500 with no shots and no papers. But we really wanted a pup to grow with our 4 year old Autistic daughter. And this one Backyard Breeder I was able to talk him down on the price. But summer is almost here and knew if I did not buy one it would be stuck outside with mom and dad in the summer time. I was given the pick of the boy litter.

They were in the guys backyard with a metal pail of water. He had so many boys, a large group of them were just resting in the shade sleeping and 5 of the cluster came to me. So from them 5 I got one. But I dont know if it is the separation issue, or a change in food issue, or something more serious. But the pup is a loving active finger and toe chewing machine. We named him Buddy. We give him nothing but Sparkelets filtered water, Bennafull puppy food. and he is in a large 48" long crate. But even at his age. He does not like messing in the crate and we just have to pick and choose when his yelping is for potty or if its just crying from being away from mom dad and his brothers and sisters.

But we have noticed that after he will poop he will stay in that position, and even back up a bit and stay in the same poop position. His poop is runney but not total water(diarrhea). Last night I added a small teaspoon of vegitable oil to his food. It was cute. it was like he knew something was wrong with it. he barked at his food after only finishing half of it. What I did was get a small handful in a small bowl, added some water, a small teaspoon of vegetable oil, and used a spoon to mix and stir it all up.

My wife said there was poop all over the crate this morning. And the one poop I saw when I got home was a soft poop with a oil/water outer ring. LOL he either pooped on a drop of water or its still the oil coming out. But today we were outside and he was still doing the poop, then long long pause standing there like he is still trying to go. I dont know if he has no clue he is done. Or if he is constipated.

I know some will say 7 weeks old was too young. I know some may say this is what I get for buying from some backyard breeder. But what choice do the puppies get? So whats done is done. Now we just want the best for this puppy. We even bring him out to the garage with us, and he still stays close or near and comes when we call him with kissing noises. So other then the constipation or diarrhea. He is already touched my wife me and our daughter hearts.

And hel would be great. Thank you all. Sorry for being long winded. Ive always been one for details.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ignore the mess in the background. LOL that was my fault. It was the first day we brought him home.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
He is adorable. Have you checked him for worms?

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I second the "check for worms." Also, Beneful is not a good quality dog food.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Why add vegetable oil to the food? If anything I would think that would increase diarrhea. Add some pumpkin and get him checked for worms.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
give him some 100% pure pumkin (not the pie filling stuff!) also some boiled rice and chicken.. I also second that Beniful is a bottom of the line food, and that the vegetable oil wont help with the diarrhea. Also time to take him to the vet to get dewormer and shots as well while your there

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Beneful is terrible food....get him something decent and get him wormed ASAP....take a sample to the vets - along with him for his vaccinations! He is probably loaded with rounds and that is causing his intestinal problems....if worms are not brought under control quickly - he can have permanent intestinal damage or even die...BYB probably did not worm the pups regularly....

He is cute and you are right, it is not the pups fault who bred him...but people keep producing pups because other people feel sorry for them and buy them...now that you have him, you will need to get him taken care of quickly so he has the best chance for a healthy life.

Lee

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Yes, get him to the Vet for worming and shots.

He's really very cute. Dad is really beautiful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. The breeder told me that is what he was feeding them. And he said the pups all have had there first 3 or 4 shots I think he said. I work 12hr days so the soonest I can get him to a vet wont be till next monday, seeing as how they are closed on Sundays. WOW I thank you all for taking the time to read my long post and your insight.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

As a kid my parents always had dogs. And I know in there poop you can see them moving around. I have not seen anything but runny poop and him doing the long pause afterwords or even backing up, stepping in the poop and waiting for more to come. LOL silly little guy. Reminds me in my younger drunken days. LOL joking. :)

U R right about the oil I tried. It just mde him poop more and it was soft poop to begin with. I just thought it would get anything backed up out. My wife wants me to buy some puppy milk formulia from Petsmart. But Im not sure that would help. Would it? And any recamendations on a good puppy then soon to adult dog food? I even read stuff about ppl feeding there dogs raw eggs and raw chicken. We WANT THE BEST LIFE for this pup.

The cards are already stacked against him with him coming from a backyard breeder that keeps his gods outside in a fenced off piece of the yard covered in dirt and a cheap looking doghouse. So his HEALTH is our life goal. Im even thinking about health insurance for the little guy. And someone told me that some vets have a growing puppy program.

So we saved him from having to live out in the Arizona summer coming real soon. And we can see he is going to be easy to potty train. He cant make it to the sliding glass door before peeing. But he comes with us on his one when coming out of the crate.

Ill stop. Im typing too too much.

Ill make it easyer and add a big large thank you so that part is seen before all my chatter. Again...

:toasting:THANK YOU :toasting:

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
As a kid my parents always had dogs. And I know in there poop you can see them moving around. I have not seen anything but runny poop and him doing the long pause afterwords or even backing up, stepping in the poop and waiting for more to come.
Wait until you deworm him. If he has worms they will come out. Mine didn't have any that I could see when she pooped, but once she was dewormed... worms come out of her that were 12-15 inches long...it was disgusting:( And everyone in my house was up at 3am when I found them:D

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
He is a very cute pup. Please find a way to get him to the vet, before next week. Can a friend or family member take him? Or - as someone else suggested, drop him off. It is very important that he be seen ASAP.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Can your wife or a friend take him to the vet? You really need to get him checked out and deworm him. And definitely get him on a better food.

He is very cute, btw.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, get him to the Vet for worming and shots.

He's really very cute. Dad is really beautiful.
Is that a common GSD coloring? And what would be a good quality dog food for the pup and as it gets older?

I've never seen a German shepherd with as many mixed colors on his coat. Even some white. He was a real big boy. When the owner brought mom and dad out, and I was next to the pups. She smelt me and after that she was using her snout to budge my hand for more petting. The dad on the other hand was roaming around us. (no growling) And the owner kept saying something to him in Spanish. I got that some times the owner was saying the dads name. But then other times he would say other Spanish words. As I was looking at the pups I smiled and asked the owner if "me being there was making dad nervous" And he would say NO. So I guess he was just talking with the dog. But he never pet the mom or the dad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Regarding the VET.

Ill see what I can do. WOW. I hope it aint that serious. Our daughter is autistic so its a little hard with her in public and so forth. Ill see what I can work out with work. I may be able to trade a day with someone. Dont worms show up in the poop? I remember as a kid seeing them in my dogs and then they went to the vet. Ill find someone that will want to help and trade a day of work for me.

I hope the little guy is OK :( He is a AWESOME puppy for 8 weeks old. He barks when he wants out of the crate. And if we ignore it and dont get to the crate in time. Sure enough there will be pee in the crate. Is that smart or what? We use a pet odor and stain remover on everything. We were told the enzymes help cover the sent of there pee or poo. So we have used it in the crate when he could not hold it any longer. He comes every time you make kissing noises or tap your leg real fast. And other then when he plops down on the ground when we are in the garage/driveway or back yard. He comes every time. But when he is tired the little guy will look at you like "LOL ya right! U come here you hairless 2 foot" hhehehe

And yes I love the little guy more then I show to my wife and daughter.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Regarding the VET.

Ill see what I can do. WOW. I hope it aint that serious. Our daughter is autistic so its a little hard with her in public and so forth. Ill see what I can work out with work. I may be able to trade a day with someone. Dont worms show up in the poop? I remember as a kid seeing them in my dogs and then they went to the vet. Ill find someone that will want to help and trade a day of work for me.

I hope the little guy is OK :( He is a AWESOME puppy for 8 weeks old. He barks when he wants out of the crate. And if we ignore it and dont get to the crate in time. Sure enough there will be pee in the crate. Is that smart or what? We use a pet odor and stain remover on everything. We were told the enzymes help cover the sent of there pee or poo. So we have used it in the crate when he could not hold it any longer. He comes every time you make kissing noises or tap your leg real fast. And other then when he plops down on the ground when we are in the garage/driveway or back yard. He comes every time. But when he is tired the little guy will look at you like "LOL ya right! U come here you hairless 2 foot" hhehehe

And yes I love the little guy more then I show to my wife and daughter.
Not necessarily. I believe tape worms and round worms are the only ones that can be seen with the naked eye. Even so, as someone else said, you may not see them until AFTER giving the dewormer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts