German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are some previous threads about how much a puppy's initial purchase price is on average, but they are a few years old. I thought it might be good to start a new thread to discuss it again.

I am looking for the average purchase price for each line, meaning working line, West German show line, and American show line. I have heard that show lines are more expensive. How much so? Why?

I know the initial purchase price is just a small part to pay, but I would like to hear what some of you have paid for your purebred GSDs, as well as hear stories about what may/may not have happened if you paid less initially and got a puppy from a not-so-hot breeder, or even a rescue. Did you end up spending way more on vet bills? I would love to hear from breeders about how they decide how much to ask for their puppies.

I'll start. At the end of 2016, I paid $2,500 for my WGSL service dog prospect. Despite a high purchase price, he was not a healthy guy. I spent over $3,000 on his emergency vet funds before he had to be put to sleep at 8 months old. We never found out what his problem was. Sometimes paying more isn't better!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I paid a total of 400$ for Mei. 200$ up front to reserve her then the other 200$ when the breeder let the pups go.

I did partial AKC registration. Full registration would have been 800$, which is still a VERY good price for a purebred. We went with partial because we dont plan on breeding Mei. This was our breeders first litter too and she did awesome!

·
Super Moderator
32,693 Posts
Cava is West German working line, and she was $1900. She will be 7 months old on Monday.

Prior pups were a long time ago, so prices aren't that relevant today. Our WGSL dogs were purchased in 2004 and 2005, and our American line dogs were purchased in 1986 and 2000. Halo, the most recent, was $1200 in January 2009. She was also WGWL.

Reactions: Pytheis

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
Well, Lex-WL- was free from the breeder. She had been returned at 2 years because her owner was done with her. She had a CD, TD and a BH, then he decided he wanted a lab. She was used as a patrol dog but was semi-retired after a handler was caught kicking her all over the parking lot on camera. She had a few other mishaps that led my boss to finally retire her permanently at just shy of 3, and she came to me with a fear issue that required lifelong meds to keep her from chewing big holes in herself. Other then that she was healthy.
Bud-WL-was also free and I've told his story before. Healthy as a horse, lived to almost 14, never had a single issue beyond initial care but was suspected of having hemangio when I put him down.
Sabi was unknown breeding, cost me $200, probable ASL pet stock although several knowledgeable people stated that was not the case. She had HD and died full of cancer with advanced DM. However, for most of her life she had no issues other then a few injuries sustained on the job. In spite of extremely bad hips, she was sound and active for most of her 13 years.
Shadow was free, probable ASL pet stock although one of the dogs eventually seized from that property was a very pretty, registered and stolen WL intact female who was returned to her breeder. I stopped keeping track of her vet bills when it got too depressing, but I would hazard a guess that to date she has cost me somewhere near $30,000. Her first 2 years put me well over $20,000. I think her 5th year was about $4000. She has a weak heart, skin issues, joint problems, behavioral issues and allergies. Plus she is clumsy which has resulted in a number of injuries that required vet care.

Both Bud and Lex sold as pups for $1200.

·
Registered
366 Posts
May 2017 I paid $1,500 for east German working lines. "Seller will provide registration papers within 90 days of sale date including all signatures necessary for registration" and he has a great warranty on hips and health stuff also but since I haven't seen papers yet I am guessing the rest of those warranties will be as useless to me. AKC says he is in good standing with them but he is not answering me. He will surface on this board on occasion when discussion comes around to DDR dogs...

So far the dog has been healthy and came to me healthy. (I don't count Pano flareups.) Temperament and drives are what I bargained for in looking at the eastern lines. It's a shame because the trainer is pushing us to title him and and asks if I had planned to breed him. She has her own Czech and WG breeding operation for K9 and PPD prospects. I believe her pups are going for $3500.

·
Premium Member
11,389 Posts
In 2002 I paid $1500 for a puppy.

Today I see pups selling for $1500-2500 for working line pups.

An established breeder who is PROVEN to produce the type of dog you are looking for; whose dogs are certified and/or titled and health tested is going to be at the top of this range....there are also many COMMERCIAL operations, many with great websites and featuring those elusive black sables ;) to hook the buyer - 10 or more females, their own stud dogs, most imported titled and a few raised and NOT titled or sent to Germany to get a title slammed on them....who get 2500-4000 for a puppy....these are for profit businesses and are in a different category than the serious hobby breeder who has a few dogs and has established a family

Lee

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Most of my ASL friends charge about $1500, though it could be less for a pet puppy on limited registration. Depends on the breeding too.

(Edited to add how much I paid.)

Carly would’ve been $1500, but I paid less because I co-own her with her breeder. Russ was free. Scarlet was a gift from my breeder after I lost Sage.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I paid recently €800 for an East German line pup, plus €835 for boarding, vaccinations including rabies shot and €1000 for shipping by land.

·
Registered
264 Posts
There are major price differences based on the economy of the state and city. High cost areas of the country like the West Coast and Northeast, and the major booming cities in places like Florida expect 2 to 2.5k for WL. Costs for land and labor are higher and most people earn more. Lower cost areas like most of the Southeast, Texas, Southwest and Midwest outside of the booming cities expect 1.5 to 2k for WL. Add 1k to 2k to those prices for GSL.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My pup isn't AKC registered. He was a one-time litter produced from a coworkers family. After Sitka's litter, his mom was spayed after they realized puppies were too much work for them to handle. They pawned off the pups as soon as they were weaned and eating semi-solid food for $200. Hindsight is 20/20, but I took a chance, and acquired him at 5 weeks old.
We have had a parvo scare at 9 weeks, he was given his shots on schedule and has since been perfectly healthy. Time will tell if any genetic issues show up. He's definitely had a few ups and downs with temperament, but seems to have mellowed out a bit once he realized that it wasn't acceptable and wouldn't be tolerated. No issues since.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The breeder I am speaking with about getting a puppy charges between $1,500-$1,800 for a working line. The parents are all titled, health tests have been done, and the puppies will be registered.
@wolfstraum, do you as a breeder factor in the stud fee when you decide how much to ask for a litter, or are all the litters usually close to the same, regardless of stud fee?

·
Premium Member
11,389 Posts
@wolfstraum, do you as a breeder factor in the stud fee when you decide how much to ask for a litter, or are all the litters usually close to the same, regardless of stud fee?

not really - the stud fee is only part of the expense of breeding ....vet work can cost twice as much as a stud fee....the big picture encompasses so much more than a stud fee....I don't agree with huge stud fees....the old idea that a fee should equal a puppy price....when vet work, travel loss of work etc can add up to the cost of 2 or even 3 pups -

Lee

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Inga is my first GSD and is two years old. I paid $800 for her and this is in Texas. When I saw all the 100s of schutzhunds in her bloodline I thought she must be WGWL. Nope, she is WGShowLine since those had to be titled to order to breed and they all titled schutzhund. It shows their intelligence, biddability and some (ahem) appropriate agression. Also they are quite beautiful. I like WGSL.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Mine cost me $400 and that's it. Purchased in California, USA. No papers. Almost 13 months old, no health issues so far (fingers crossed!). Amazing temperament, never snapped at me, ridiculously obedient, protective in a good way, observant, curious. Out-of-this-world handsome, classic-looking. Best dog I've ever had in my life. Not saying everyone should just look for 'cheap' GSDs. Just sharing the part where I felt I got extremely lucky with this one.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Btw, what does it mean 'Hips guarantee/warranty' when buying from a breeder? Like if apparently the dog has genetic hips issues, it can be returned? Or is it like, the warranty covers the treatment etc? Just curious.

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
Btw, what does it mean 'Hips guarantee/warranty' when buying from a breeder? Like if apparently the dog has genetic hips issues, it can be returned? Or is it like, the warranty covers the treatment etc? Just curious.
Some breeders offer a replacement puppy and some a refund of some of the purchase price. With the replacement puppy some breeders insist that the defective puppy be returned, at least one I have found required it be euthanized, and some allow you to keep the defective dog(usually altered).

·
Registered
79 Posts
We gave $300 for Luna. We weren't looking, but knew a family that had a litter and saw the pups and we decided why not. I will say, unfortunately with Luna she seems to have some weak nerves. We've been working on counter conditioning her with her trainer for a few months now and she's improved DRAMATICALLY, but I know better than to think she's gonna be an outgoing/social dog. =p Just a bit of an opposite experience finding our "cheap" dog. We love her, but her temperament definitely has been a lot on the nervous side despite socialization, puppy classes, and professional training.

So far she's been healthy minus diagnosed pano and some flare ups with that! Her 1 year xrays were looking good, and we love her to bits either way.

Also just wanted to say she is still a great fit for us despite the issues! She's attached to my hip, active and fun, silly in her own ways, and she fills my life with so much energy.

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
Cost usually include the health tests, show and and or work titles. Max- asl was $1,500 pet contract and Luna wgsl was $2,700 open contract.

My first gsd my working line that I bought in 1996 from owners due to life changes had to rehome so we got him for $1,000. He was two years old and washed out from the police program because he failed the test by not outing and was fully trained and lived till 12 and had no health issues. In the past Many dogs we have adopted and two purchased at pet Stores. We have no issues except our King Charles who we got from a backyard breeder and paid 1,500 who had a heart murmur and effected her later years.

All priceless.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts