German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm getting a few things in preparation for the puppy. I'm doing this because I don't want to have to get everything at one time. In other words, I'm spacing it out, getting a few things this month and then a few things the next month. There are somethings like food that I'll get within 2 to 3 weeks of taking the puppy home, but then there are other things. I have 2 questions.

1. Is there anything else that should be on my list?
Here's the list:
1)Water and food dishes (stainless steel)
2)Crate
3)Chews and toys
4)Leash and collars
5) grooming stuff
6) Bed
7)puppy food (within 2 to 3 weeks of puppy)
8) puppy gates
9) Cleanser (within 2 to 3 weeks of puppy)
10) Bitter spray (within 2 to 3 weeks of puppy)
11) Carrier

My second question is:
2. Do I have enough quality toys for the puppy?

I've already bought some toys. I have 4 nylabones, all four are very durable for strong chewers. The kong stuff, 2 kongs and a kong rope toy, are on the way. So in all, that's 7 toys. Is that enough or should I get some more? I've heard of puppies going through toys really fast and that's why I'm asking.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Love the stainless steel but I had to buy really heavy dishes for my guys when they were pups. Both of them thought there was nothing more fun then tipping over the water dish and then banging it around the room. :)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Love the stainless steel but I had to buy really heavy dishes for my guys when they were pups. Both of them thought there was nothing more fun then tipping over the water dish and then banging it around the room. :)
Yeah, I thought of stainless steel because they recommend you buy not only durable bowls, but easy to clean bowls. Some bowls are made of . . . porcelain or some material. Then there's the plastic bowls but I don't want them because they're easy to chew on.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
You will want a chilly bone for teething and maybe grab a couple puppy toys so you have a bit more variety. I always give my pups a nice stuffed animal to sleep with when they are young. Also it is fun to take them shopping when they are old enough.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I would just use vinegar as "cleanser" -- it eliminates all smells and it's safe to use around the puppy and the smell isn't too awful for too long. We mix half water/half vinegar in a squirt bottle and used that to clean up messes.

And I think I would hold off on getting the bitter spray -- at least I've not had any problems with my puppy chewing on furniture -- except blankets. The occasional bite on the couch, but I'm sitting three from her when she does it so it honestly hasn't happened too many times.

The stainless steel bowl works perfect for me. Minna has huge, raw bones (old ones from Sobacca) that she chooses to toss around the tile floor for noise entertainment. And empty water bottles. She hasn't turned over her water bowl. But this guy from my puppy class has a Shepherd and she turns her water container over too. So that's dependent on the dog.

Sounds like you're on top of things!
Good Luck!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Dont forget a box of bandaids...for the land shark phase.

Oh My YES!
Last weekend Minna lost about 6 teeth in a matter of four days, I couldn't believe it. Two of them while we were sitting at the soccer fields. It was crazy. And she's been biting recently again. Silly land shark.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I too had to buy a heavy bowl as Titon thought it was an awesome idea to splash water all over the kitchen floor and play hockey with his bowls.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
LOL, the bowl tipping. after water went through
the celing into the basement i figured out
i didn't have to leave the water bowl on the floor
during the tipping stage. my dog is 3 yrs. old. the
other day i was cooking chicken
and eating some and giving my dog some. a peice
of chicken fell into his water bowl. i'm in the livingroom and i hear that familiar sound of the bowl being tipped. he didn't tip it over. i
think he tried to tip it to get get to the chcken.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i'm glad to see you didn't do what i did.
we brought our puppy home and realized we didn't
buy any toys for him so we had to
go to the pet store immediately. i held
over puppy for the visit because i didn't
want him on the floor of the pet store.
we bought him some balls, ropes, rings
tugs, several brushes and combs.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I agree with the Vinegar, once I found out I could use this I use it for EVERYTHING! :) It disinfects and deodorizes better than any cleaner out there, I also like Nature's Miracle.

Toys; you will want a variety they say somewhere around 20+ toys is a good amount to help keep them occupied. Some can be the same toy but maybe different colors or extra knots. I have homemade toys along with store bought and she prefers the strips of fabric that have been knotted. lol

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Toys; you will want a variety they say somewhere around 20+ toys is a good amount to help keep them occupied. Some can be the same toy but maybe different colors or extra knots. I have homemade toys along with store bought and she prefers the strips of fabric that have been knotted. lol
So okay, I'll probably get a few more toys. Mmm. . . I don't know about the vinegar thing, I'm not too much of a fan on the smell. I'll think about it.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Dont forget a box of bandaids...for the land shark phase.
Hahahaha, love that one. Dog dishes that won't tip as recommended above. With all the toys about it's not likely puppy will chew on water or food dish. Have you read any books? Can't hurt. I read a whole bunch and was intrigued by how much 'experts' disagree. Just like the 'experts' in this forum. You have to make up your OWN mind and take all advice (mine too) with a pound of salt.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I would buy all kinds of toys when I had a puppy arriving, most of mine tho LOVED playing with plastic jugs (like milk jugs/liter soda bottles),,throw some treats in them to make some noise,,of course supervise:))

and get LOTS of sleep before that puppy comes home, cause you won't get any after that for awhile:)

·
Registered
535 Posts
I am still thiking about getting a bricklayer to come in and build a small water and food trough or at least some wells I can sit the bowls in ! :) Why oh why does the dog feel the need to flip the bowls over and then kick them around until you cannot find them every day......

I would also recommend ;

A long training line ( see Pikoda.com ) .

Dogs are just like kids...you can buy the most expensive toy in the store and then take it home only to see them happily play for hours with an empty shampoo bottle. Don't get too carried away. :cool:

Nah go on......DO IT ! Its fun.

·
Registered
386 Posts
ok.. i bought some bitter spray.... problem is HE LIKES IT!!!... any other suggestions besides tabasco? o_O

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'm not sure on the bitter spray/tabasco sauce I've never had a problem with my dogs chewing things they shouldn't in the house. Very rarely will Minna grab something I don't want to her, and typically that's her "I need to go poop" thing.

On the toy subject, it's so true. My dogs prefer the raw bones (that they've already cleaned out) or empty water bottles. There is no better toy then an empty water bottle, they both loveeee when I give them one.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Are you getting your new puppy from a breeder ? Looks like you have got most of the things in line. One suggestion I would make is to drop off an old towel or small blanket with the breeder. Let the breeder keep this towel/blanket along with the litter (or the mom). When the puppy come home, put this in the crate. It helps the puppy calm down when it can smell it's familiar puppy litter/mom's scent. I've tried this when we got our first puppy and it did seem to work well. We are getting another puppy next week and intend to do the same again.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Are you getting your new puppy from a breeder ? Looks like you have got most of the things in line. One suggestion I would make is to drop off an old towel or small blanket with the breeder. Let the breeder keep this towel/blanket along with the litter (or the mom). When the puppy come home, put this in the crate. It helps the puppy calm down when it can smell it's familiar puppy litter/mom's scent. I've tried this when we got our first puppy and it did seem to work well. We are getting another puppy next week and intend to do the same again.
This is a very good idea...When I brought Abby home the
breeder sent along a favorite toy...stuffed hedgehog.
Abby had been playing with that toy a lot at the breeders
and it had lots of familiar scents.

I put it in her bed with her and that first night she used
it as a pillow. She still has it in her bed and chews on it
a little every night and usually sleeps with it tucked up
under her chin.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Our breeder sent home a small towel to use then they put in bed with the puppy- when he came home I put it in the crate so he had all his littermates' smell on it plus mine. I also put a stuffed toy in there to sleep with and that was a big hit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts