German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my puppy has recently turned 5 months. For the past two days, I have caught him eating his poop when left alone in the back yard. He has been going in the back yard by himself for a while now and never done this. When he was a puppy I caught him a few times doing this. What do you guys believe is the cause of this he is not left dirty or in a dirty crate. I am currently feeding Orijen large breed puppy. Lastly what do you guys suggest to clean his mouth after he has eaten some poop.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Honestly, it's best just to get his poop picked up. Remove the opportunity for him to eat it. I have no idea why some dogs do this. Just offer fresh clean water.

I think you are feeding a good kibble. Some kibble is awful & comes out as it comes in...I could see why that's appealing to some dogs. lol

·
Registered
345 Posts
My guy used to do this on off lead walks. Pissed me off that people didn't pick up after their dogs. I had to tell him 'leave it.' He has stopped. In the backyard I pick it up in seconds. No opportunity.

·
Registered
86 Posts
go to your vet or petsmart (or equivalent) and try out some "for-bid." Sprinkle it on their food and it taste bad to them (as if poop doesn't taste bad enough).

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Supposedly, 10% of GSD's do this.

I've had five GSD's to date and two of the five had done this - 1 male, 1 female. So, I'm in the 40% range. Great, huh?

Anyway, vitamin deficiencies, habit, learned, hunger are all reasons offered as to why, but ultimately nobody really knows.

Best advice has already been given. Try to maintain meticulous surroundings where your dog goes and try to be diligent of the carelessness of others when your out w him.

I pick up twice a day. There are chemicals and food additives, but who needs that? RiverDan is spot on. Just remove the opportunity and the temptation will stop.

Good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If picking it up is a problem for you (I also think that is the best solution), do a search on the forum and you'll find some of the big pet stores sell chemicals to make the waste less tasty. Also, se people have success by adding fresh pineapple to each meal.

Good luck!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts